Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi, everyone

Posted by loisf (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 18:03

I have been a member of the Hosta Forum for years, but this is my first post to the Quilting Forum.

I started a quilting project about 4 years ago, but I soon found that my old machine wasn't up to the challenge. I spent more time dealing with the machine than I did sewing, so I put the project aside. A couple of months ago I visited an avid quilter and was re-inspired. This time the first thing I did was buy a new machine, and wow, what a difference. These are photos of my first project which I just finished. I plan to fill in the spaces next to the tree trunks with a meandering stitch as soon as I take the machine quilting class I'm signed up for and do some practicing.

I'm just finishing a small wall hanging for my office/sewing room, and I just purchased fabric for a baby quilt. My son and his wife are "working" on a baby, so I figured I'd better get working on a quilt. I need to get rid of this full time job so I can spend more time quilting, but winter's coming and the hosta are dying down, so I should have more time.

I've already gotten so much information from the forum. I hope in the future I can be a contributor too.

Christmas tree skirt
Christmas tree skirt detail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi, everyone

Welcome!!!! That's a gorgeous tree skirt. I have been trying for years to make one and can't decide on a pattern.

Is this one part paper pieced??

Rosa

o

Welcome. It is great that your interest has re-emerged. It sound as if you are well on your way to being a seasoned quilter. Your tree skirt is lovily, I really like the star center.
Looking forward to hearing more about your progress and seeing your accomplishments. Jayne

o

Welcome, loisf! That tree skirt is gorgeous! You should be very proud of yourself. Can't wait to see other projects that you do.

Teresa

o

Wow! That is your first project?! You are on you way! Beautiful

o

Welcome loisf! You did a great job - a challenging design for a first project! Good for you for taking a machine quilting class - I hope you enjoy it.

Sue/polardream

o

Wonderful job. I love your pattern and colors.

It's good to know someone I can ask about my hostas.

Linda in California

o

Welcome!
I started out at a different GardenWeb spot too I came to this forum a few years ago, after many years on the Florida Gardening forum.
Your tree skirt is beautiful! Excellent job! Which machine did you get? It was obviously a good choice for you.

Kate

o

Welcome! Glad you are back at quilting.The tree skirt is lovely. TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Welcome aboard the quilting board! We're glad you found us!

Your first project turned out GREAT! I really find the pattern and colors appealing!

Please continue to share with us about the start of your journey into quilting, and we're here to offer suggestions & help whenever you might need it!

o

That's an impressive project for a first effort. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

o

Thank you for the warm welcome.

The skirt is from a book called Mostly Christmas by Calico Printworks, Racine, WI, telephone 262-632-4224. I saw the quilt made up in a quilt shop. There's no paper piecing involved.

The machine I got is a Janome Memory Craft 6600. I really love it. It has a 9" throat (I think that's what you call the distance between the needle and the body of the machine), so it's easier to work on larger pieces. And all the stitches - it'll take me years to explore them all.

I took an applique class, and I'm signed up for a paper piecing class and the machine quilting class. My dream is to someday do a quilt where you take a landscape photo and turn it into a quilt. That's a way into the future though.

I'm really excited about this baby quilt I'm just starting. It's a Bunny Hill Designs pattern with sailboats on it. I'm an avid sailboat racer so I hope this little grandchild-to-be takes an interest too. The main color is aqua-green, good for either a boy or girl.

Well I'd better get started. The fabric just came out of the dryer. Thank you again for making me feel at home.

o

Don't know how I missed this thread, sorry for the late welcome, but I am glad you are here. Love the tree skirt and hope to see more from you soon.

beverly

o

Hi loisf and welcome....waving from Florida. Your tree skirt is exquisite!

SharonG/FL

o

I love your tree skirt and am very impressed with your first piece. You'll enjoy that skirt forever.

o

That's a lovely tree skirt you made. Congrats and looking forward to more of your projects as you find more time.

o

I agree with what everyone else has said about your tree skirt Loisf - it's wonderful and a great keepsake for many years to come. Sending a warm welcome to you from Australia

Kristene

o

Isn't the internet great? Here we are, from all over the country and the world, chatting about quilting. Thanks for the kind words, and hello from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

o
Hi right back at cha!

Lois, I didn't realize you are a Minnesota girl ~ I lived in Hopkins for a long time and worked in east Minneapolis. Still one of my favorite cities ever and the home of our best friends.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here