Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Hi, everyone

loisflan
12 years ago

I have been a member of the Hosta Forum for years, but this is my first post to the Quilting Forum.

I started a quilting project about 4 years ago, but I soon found that my old machine wasn't up to the challenge. I spent more time dealing with the machine than I did sewing, so I put the project aside. A couple of months ago I visited an avid quilter and was re-inspired. This time the first thing I did was buy a new machine, and wow, what a difference. These are photos of my first project which I just finished. I plan to fill in the spaces next to the tree trunks with a meandering stitch as soon as I take the machine quilting class I'm signed up for and do some practicing.

I'm just finishing a small wall hanging for my office/sewing room, and I just purchased fabric for a baby quilt. My son and his wife are "working" on a baby, so I figured I'd better get working on a quilt. I need to get rid of this full time job so I can spend more time quilting, but winter's coming and the hosta are dying down, so I should have more time.

I've already gotten so much information from the forum. I hope in the future I can be a contributor too.

Comments (18)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome!!!! That's a gorgeous tree skirt. I have been trying for years to make one and can't decide on a pattern.

Is this one part paper pieced??

Rosa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Welcome. It is great that your interest has re-emerged. It sound as if you are well on your way to being a seasoned quilter. Your tree skirt is lovily, I really like the star center.
    Looking forward to hearing more about your progress and seeing your accomplishments. Jayne

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Welcome, loisf! That tree skirt is gorgeous! You should be very proud of yourself. Can't wait to see other projects that you do.

Teresa

• blueiris24
    12 years ago

Wow! That is your first project?! You are on you way! Beautiful

• polardream
    12 years ago

Welcome loisf! You did a great job - a challenging design for a first project! Good for you for taking a machine quilting class - I hope you enjoy it.

Sue/polardream

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Wonderful job. I love your pattern and colors.

It's good to know someone I can ask about my hostas.

Linda in California

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Welcome!
    I started out at a different GardenWeb spot too I came to this forum a few years ago, after many years on the Florida Gardening forum.
    Your tree skirt is beautiful! Excellent job! Which machine did you get? It was obviously a good choice for you.

Kate

• day2day
    12 years ago

Welcome! Glad you are back at quilting.The tree skirt is lovely. TFS.

~Geraldine

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Welcome aboard the quilting board! We're glad you found us!

Your first project turned out GREAT! I really find the pattern and colors appealing!

Please continue to share with us about the start of your journey into quilting, and we're here to offer suggestions & help whenever you might need it!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That's an impressive project for a first effort. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcome.

The skirt is from a book called Mostly Christmas by Calico Printworks, Racine, WI, telephone 262-632-4224. I saw the quilt made up in a quilt shop. There's no paper piecing involved.

The machine I got is a Janome Memory Craft 6600. I really love it. It has a 9" throat (I think that's what you call the distance between the needle and the body of the machine), so it's easier to work on larger pieces. And all the stitches - it'll take me years to explore them all.

I took an applique class, and I'm signed up for a paper piecing class and the machine quilting class. My dream is to someday do a quilt where you take a landscape photo and turn it into a quilt. That's a way into the future though.

I'm really excited about this baby quilt I'm just starting. It's a Bunny Hill Designs pattern with sailboats on it. I'm an avid sailboat racer so I hope this little grandchild-to-be takes an interest too. The main color is aqua-green, good for either a boy or girl.

Well I'd better get started. The fabric just came out of the dryer. Thank you again for making me feel at home.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Don't know how I missed this thread, sorry for the late welcome, but I am glad you are here. Love the tree skirt and hope to see more from you soon.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hi loisf and welcome....waving from Florida. Your tree skirt is exquisite!

SharonG/FL

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I love your tree skirt and am very impressed with your first piece. You'll enjoy that skirt forever.

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

That's a lovely tree skirt you made. Congrats and looking forward to more of your projects as you find more time.

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

I agree with what everyone else has said about your tree skirt Loisf - it's wonderful and a great keepsake for many years to come. Sending a warm welcome to you from Australia

Kristene

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Isn't the internet great? Here we are, from all over the country and the world, chatting about quilting. Thanks for the kind words, and hello from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Lois, I didn't realize you are a Minnesota girl ~ I lived in Hopkins for a long time and worked in east Minneapolis. Still one of my favorite cities ever and the home of our best friends.

Kate

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz