Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

My quilt for the Church Ladies - pics

mary_c_gw
16 years ago

A month or so I posted about I quilt I quilted for my Dad's Church Ladies. It was a disaster! The twenty-year old invisible (to me) markings showed up as fluorescent yellow after washing! The fabrics bled (caught by color catchers) and faded badly.

I decided to make them another quilt for the craft show in November. It will either be sold at a silent auction or raffled. I hope they raffle it. Many people who would buy a few raffle tickets and hope, just won't plunk down a bunch of money for a quilt.

Either way, I'm really pleased with it. If it's a silent auction, I'm going to have my mother bid for me so it doesn't go for cheap. I'd absolutely love to have it back.

Here it is:

I used my "Swirlz" template and baby pink thread, and then I used up all my scraps for the binding.

Mary

Comments (27)

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

You did a beautiful job on that, and a lot of work must have gone into it. Very pretty!

• nana24
    16 years ago

Beautiful. I'd certainly buy some raffle tickets.
    What happened to the other quilt? Will they have two?
    TFS
    Sally

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sally,

I will take that quilt back to them also. I fly out to CA on the 24th. It will keep someone warm, but no one will be buying it for it's beauty, LOL. I'll take some photos of it too.

Mary

• easystitches
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a beauty!
    Let us know if we can buy raffle tickets.
    You did a wonderful job!

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

That is sooo gorgeous! Everytime I see one of your works of art, I think I should get a longarm. I envy your talent! Thanks for sharing, and I hope it brings in a lot of money.

• anjea
    16 years ago

So pretty! I love the scrappy binding, too!

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

I just love your quilting on this. What a beautiful quilt.
    Linda

• redpenny
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!

• bopeep
    16 years ago

VERY BEAUTIFUL !!!!
    I too love the colorful binding.
    I am a kinda new to this forum and to quilting, I love to quilt and I also love to see the pictures and read what everyone here writes.
    bopeep

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aw, shucks!, LOL

Thanks, everyone, for the positive comments.

Welcome, Bopeep. I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to welcome the new people, so welcome!

Mary

• kathryni
    16 years ago

Mary, Your quilt is so beautiful! I love the colorfulness and the delightful quilting! I hope they raffle it also so they can get the most for it after all of the work you have put in it. Kay

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Mary that's gorgeous,hope it brings a ton of money.What size is it,and as another poster asked,can we buy tickets if it's an auction.
    Kathi

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Mary, if they raffle it can I buy some tickets????? Love that quilt.

Welcome bopeep, look forward to seeing some of your work too.

beverly

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathi,

It's made of 9" blocks, and finishes at 96 x 78", a 6 x 8 block array with borders. It's a really arbitrary measurement - I simply ran out of the fabrics I was using, LOL. It's big enough to use on a twin or full bed.

I don't know if I'll be able to get tickets for the raffle - I'll ask my Dad - it's his Church Ladies entering the craft fair. I'll ask, and let you know!

Mary

• crafteedee
    16 years ago

That is beautiful! I love the swirly quilting to contrast the sharp points. Would have never thought to do that.

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

That's just gorgeous! It's definitely a beauty.

Clever girl having your mom bid on it if it's a silent auction -- I bought raffle tickets for my own quilt once and then thought -- but if I win it back that will seem a little odd...

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,

If they raffle it, I will buy perhaps 100 tickets. It will go to my step-dad's church, so a very good cause. If I win it, that would be really cool, but if I don't get it back, I at least know that the church got some really good money for it.

I often think that churches in particular undervalue works they produce. People who craft often spend more money producing than they can hope to sell an item for.

So to craft or not? I don't know, LOL. I do think it's silly to sell things for LESS than it costs to make them, even for a charitable reason.

I have to take the view that I made this quilt for a good cause. It should also bring in some money for this good cause. I'm in the really priveleged position to be able to buy back my own work to donate to that good cause. I agree, it does seem a bit odd, but it's not like I'm putting in a "fix". If it's raffled, every ticket has the same chance. If it is a silent auction - well, if I'm willing to bid more, I should get it.

• janice__indiana5
    16 years ago

Mary that is Beautiful! You really do a nice job. I love the quilting.

Janice

• User
    16 years ago

This quilt has all my favorite elements--lots of bright colors and white. The Church Ladies were blessed when they asked you to help with this project. Make sure you take the full tax deduction for your material and labor.

Dianne

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I like it Mary! I bet it will bring in alot of money!

Rebecca

• Vicki Pidgeon
    16 years ago

Mary,
    I love the quilt! What are the names of the block design? You did a great job quilting it too! Did you treat the fabric first? If so, what did you use?
    Thanks for sharing the pictures!
    Vicki
    PS - you said fly out to CA, is the auction in Ca? Where? I live in SF area.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

What a wonderful, colorful quilt. The quilting is terrific too. Hope the raffle is very successful.

• karpet
    16 years ago

Mary, what a way to 'take lemons and make lemonade'! I hope those ladies appreciate how you went above and beyond to ensure that they had a beautiful quilt to auction. And you sure put that together quickly! I really felt for you as you went through your saga with the one originally intended for the auction. What a great gift you are taking back for them. (I bet there will be at least one that will want to auction off both quilts!)

• csackett
    16 years ago

Very beautiful. I hope it brings lots!!!
    Carolyn

• msmeow
    16 years ago

It's beautiful! Is it the same block pattern as the original?

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

I agree it is beautiful, I love the cheerful colors.
    Rosa

• sew_self-taught
    16 years ago

Wow Mary! I agree with everyone. I love the colors and your quilting looks so wonderful. And the binding adds the perfect last touch! Very nicely done. Your dadÂs church is lucky to have you.

Nina

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County