Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CSI: DearJane

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 17:42

CSI: DearJane

No, not 'crime scene investigation'. In this case it means Creative Sewing Ideas. Anyone interested in, involved in, experienced in, etc, etc, any of the small block quilts like Dear Jane, Farmers Wife, or Sylvia's Bridal are invited to follow this thread and post to it with pictures, updates, experiences and advice. Oh yeah, lots and lots of encouragement is needed too!

I received my Dear Jane book in the mail today! Woo HOO! All other plans for the day were shelved as I poured over the book. I don't have my fabric yet so I can't get started but I'll be shopping for that at a quilt show next Friday. Good timing, right?!?

I'm playing with colors but haven't made any final decisions yet. Pretty sure I'll be using Kaffe Fassett fabrics in hot colors (think: lava, tropical sunset, chili cook-off, Gauguin painting) with a cool, modern gray background. Then again, I may go with the purple, blue, green shades and a white background. OK, seriously, I haven't decided.

I can already tell that I'll want the correct ruler to get the border triangles just right.

photo photo_zps9b28f303.jpg

Jackie says she'll be giving it a try with her collection of Civil War reproduction fabrics - very authentic and true to Jane's original. I'm sure it will be stunning. We have Robbi's rainbow Jane and Nanajayne's teal Sylvia for inspiration. My non-posting friend Marilyn is about to start on The Farmer's Wife; I'm hoping she'll join us on-line for this adventure. And Littlehelen may feel the urge to get started on her batik Jane before long, too!

Will we ever finish? Will we actually START? What colors will we choose and which blocks will cause us the most drama? Stay tuned to CSI: DearJane to find out!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CSI: DearJane

Love your tiny sample block..hot Fassett colors w/ white bkgrnd? Will watch w/ interest as you and Jackie embark on your journey!

o

I am supposed to get my CD delivered Monday. Then I will start on it. I went through my stash and found a bunch of CW fabrics and 2 layer cakes of 40 each CW fabrics. 10 Inch squares are just the perfect size for making these blocks.

Jackie

o

OH, you so have tugged at my heartstrings... I would so like to join you all! Grrrrrr, it's just such a big commitment....but then you'd be a great cheering section to keep me inline rather than going it alone....but how could I say 'yes' when I don't even know when I'll get in my studio the next time....but I have always wanted to do a quilt like this...but I don't have fabric..what colors would I choose... WHAT AM I TO DO????

o

Does the book give a total yardage necessary for background vs. block designs? Or is it broken down only by block?

o

It suggests 5 yards for the background but I've read blogs that say you should double that. One person suggested buying an entire bolt! I won't go the bolt route, but do plan to get more than 5 yards. I haven't seen anything that makes suggestions for block design fabrics because it's rarely done with all one fabric. I'm totally guessing when I say the design fabrics will probably total about the same as the background, so 5-7 of the background and around 5 of the design fabrics, combined? Just guessing.

o
No stress!

Jen - no stress! You know how fast you can work on projects. If you wait a year before starting I bet you'll still finish before I do! I'm certain Valarie will start LONG before I have the end in sight.

One of the things that appeals to me about this project is that I know it will take a couple years at a minimum. There's no shame in making this a multi-year project. Or in putting it away for a while and taking it out a year later. I look forward to the hand sewing pieces, too, because I'll be able to take some of those on vacation with me next spring. Can you see me sitting on a deck overlooking a beach in Costa Rica with my little sewing kit beside me? I can!

o

I just counted and I have 105 different CW fabrics. I will probably double up and 2 or 3 blocks with each fabric so that I do not have to buy any more.

Jennifer, if you decide to do it, and figure out what colors, we can send you fabric in your colors. It takes less than a 10 inch block for each block of the quilt. Everyone on here has scraps that size. My friend did this quilt a few years ago. When she was buying fabric she bought 1/4 yard cuts of over 200 different ones. She had oodles of fabric left.

Jackie

o

I realize it isn't done with all the same fabric, but I thought maybe the book would say "Background fabric-5 yards, misc. contrasting fabrics totaling 7 yards (or whatever)" for the block designs.

I strongly leaning towards this one... maybe with the brights all done in looks-solid batiks.

Is there just one book or multiple books with these patterns? does the cd provide the foundation patterns?

Here is a link that might be useful: bold Dear Jane

o

I think there is just the one book. The CD does allow you to print the foundation patterns. That is why I ordered it.

Jackie

o

Even after just one day with the book I can see the value of the cd. Printing these little things would be so much easier than making copies by hand.

o

do you suppose the book is a necessary item if you get the cd?

o

I don't know. I like books so I'm glad I have it.

o

I have the book but wonder if the CD provides better patterns. I find it a challenge to make the patterns from the book.

o

Perhaps following along with you all will motivate me to resurrect my Sylvia. I think I have 50-60 blocks done. I was in a group at a quilt shop and we were assigned 5 blocks a month and I didn't keep up but I do have all of the notes and tips. I have a couple of projects that I have to get finished before Christmas but will put this project at the top of the 2014 list.

Kate, I love your Fassett brights with the white and Jackie I have a large collection of CW prints too. I will repost a picture of my Remembrance quilt and if you see any that you don't have just let me know.

Maryv

o

Reading this thread is tugging at me to join in the fun...but I'm trying to discipline myself (kinda sorta) as I do want to finish up a few projects I have lingering. I think I'll tell Santa to get me the book or CD and watch for bright batiks! That's it...I'll fabric collect in preparation for a 2014ish start...
V.

o

Here is a Dear Jane link that will help you along your journey. Tips on almost everything.....even classes. I haven't looked around to see if there is fabric amounts or not, but there very well could be.

Enjoy.....

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: Dear Jane

o
RE: CSI: Dear Jane

Forgot to mention, I had the spine of the book removed and then put each page into a plastic protector sheet and into a 3-ring notebook so it would lay flat and be easier to use. When I would complete a block, it went into the protector. I keep the specialty rulers that came with the book in the notebook, also. I think I made a spreadsheet showing which blocks I had done with the picture in that square. If I did, it's on the other computer. :-)

Just something y'all might consider.

SharonG/FL

o

I will follow along, too!! I still don't have all the border blocks attached, but I'm getting closer. Maybe I can quilt mine as you sew yours???

I have the CD and highly recommend it for printing out the foundation patterns. Otherwise, you will be spending a lot of time tracing patterns. I still had to "create" a few of the patterns, because they just didn't print the way I wanted them to.

I put a link below to another web site that I found useful for the DJ. She shows a step by step on how she assembled blocks. It was very helpful since some were very confusing (especially some of the triangles and corners).

Also, do get the rulers!! They are a must to be sure you have the blocks the right size.

One of these days I'd like to do a Sylvia's Bridal. Too many quilts in the pile right now.

Let me know if I can help with any. And have fun, I did!!

Robbi

Here is a link that might be useful: Dear Jane Blog

o

Last week I almost bought the Sylvia Bridal Sampler book, but I'm going to wait until I have enough to order from Amazon to get free shipping. This may be a project I will start in 2014. Still leaning toward a wall quilt, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I'm committing to doing some of the SBS by paper piecing and I might even do a few applique blocks just to challenge myself. I'm pretty sure I would not be a happy quilter making the 4-inch Dear Jane blocks so the 6-inch SBS blocks are more to my liking.

Looking forward to what all the rest of you will be doing!

Teresa

o

Teresa, There's another quilt called Blocks from the Past that are 6-inch blocks. I have that one started also.....but cannot find it. ...... sigh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blocks from the Past

o

Sharon, thanks for the binder idea! I'm going to do that.

o

Robbi, thank you for the blog site. I have been looking for it. I would like to try and make a machine st. Jane and may try when I catch up a bit with what I have in progress . I think it would be interesting in blues and white scrappy or batiks.

o

There are several picture on Pinterest and at Google Images of Jane done in blue/white combos; all of them are beautiful! I briefly considered using white with Japanese indigo prints.

o

I got my CD today and printed one of the paper pieced blocks. I am going to sew a few different ones up tonight and can officially say I have started it!

Jackie

o

Ordered the Sylvia's book today from a seller on Etsy and I've been thinking background fabric and colors.

Teresa

o

I've had the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book since it first came out;
I look at it often......maybe now is the time to start it????? I get paralyzed just thinking about making the color/fabric commitment. So much rides on the right choices! I've bought houses, cars, and boats and spent less time thinking about the choices ~lol~. Fabric is a huge decision!

Teresa -- there are mistakes in the book - at least in the first 4 printings -- so make sure you get the corrections. I've included a link below.
When Nanajayne struggled with some of the blocks, I decided I needed more experience and time before I begin the journey.
Maybe the time is now. Maybe............

Jackie - I see you methodically working on Dear Jane with great focus. You are so organized and dedicated. There is no doubt you will complete yours!

I am eager to watch all the progress. Everyone will be at different stages and it should be an amazing adventure.

Here is a link that might be useful: SBS corrections

o

I just had a HUGE idea! I'd been looking at the rainbow colored version with black background. I really like the contrast, but DH really does NOT like the rainbow.

You all know my love for Jinny Beyer.... And I just got an email with anniversary sales information... What about a variegated version done with yellows, blues, and greens on a black background?? Maybe with the brightest yellows on the diagonal across the middle of the quilt, radiating through the blues to the greens in the corners...

Thoughts on this type of scheme??

o

While I'm not joining in the collective DJ/SBS block-party, the Jinny Beyer perspective is most intriguing....you may be onto something that would be stunning and a true departure !
V.

o

Jennifer, I think that would be great!

o

Sounds beautiful! And the shading with Jinny fabrics would be stunning.

o

It sounds interesting but black might be a challenge with the small pieces. Your up to it I am sure....

o

So it begins... "like sands through the hourglass"... no, wait! Wrong TV show!

Here's my first block, done with the gray background. The gray is a little lighter in person but not much. I also tried one of the triangles but didn't like that as much with the gray, so I think I'll remake that one with white and see what I think. A little experimentation at the beginning is worth it, I'm sure.

photo photo_zps90dd5c7f.jpg

Do you want to know how it was, making a 4.5" block with this much detail? IT WAS HARD! About 10:30 last night I was pretty sure the whole Jane thing was a mistake. But then I finished it and pressed it and fell in love with it.

Kate

o

Here are my first 2. Of course when I was doing the first one (A-1) I did not mirror image it and it came out backwards, but what the heck it still looks good. LOL

Jackie

o

Jackie, those look great! I didn't paper piece my first one and can see now the advantage. My outer corner points are too big. Oh well, I can live with that on this block if I decide to use it.

Great start!

o

Are they having you paper piece everything rather than making HSTs and snowball corners?

I like your blocks, Jackie! Very crisp!

o

Actually the book only gives the drawings. It does not tell you how to do the blocks. The CD gives you choices on how to print, foundation, templates etc. The blogs that have been mentioned give other people's ways of doing the blocks. I have chosen paper piecing for the two that I did and have an applique one printed out to do next.

Jackie

o

I'm gonna' follow along this thread with ya'll. I really like the SBS and am going to add that book to my Christmas wish list. Thank you Marsha for the link with the SBS corrections. What finished block size are the blocks in the SBS? 4" ? 6"?

Best to you and thanks bunches,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 16:00

o

Sandra,
I think the SBS blocks are 6-inches square.

Teresa

o

Thanks Teresa. I added the SBS book to my Christmas wish list. I think having a smaller block project could help break the monotony of my larger more redundant block projects, and it's related to the Elm Creek series of books which I am collecting and reading.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

All this talk about Dear Jane got me to look at the ones I have done. They are all hand done but I doubt they will ever be a quilt.
Getting a renewed interest and may try again.
Took some pic of the ones I have finished.
That date is wrong as I just took the pic. Have to check the menu. lol

o

Jayne,

Those look great! Why start again? Just pick up where you left off...join the group!

o

The hand pc. goes pretty slow. I would like to try doing them by machine to see if I can and I like the idea of a different color scheme. I got interested when I saw "Jane's" in the museum and thought I would like to try but time is short and so many things to do. lol

o

Was just looking through the Jane Stickle Quilt Group on FB and saw where one lady printed the pattern block on freezer paper, cut out the pieces, ironed them on the fabric and then only had to add the quarter inch when cutting out.

I was thinking about starting over, too, but got to looking at the blocks I already have done and decided they're ok. :-)

SharonG/FL

o

I don't think I can handle Dear Jane, but I looked at a bunch of pictures before I could stop myself. This one from Australia *really* amazing. According to the site, it was 'quilt as you go'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dear Jane from AQA exhibition

This post was edited by petalpatsy on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 4:30

o

That's gorgeous! That's enough to make me reconsider the batiks.

o

This is a cool bonus with the CD. You can put photos or scans of your blocks in the chart to keep up with where you are.

o

You know, I love that quilt as you go on that quilt. I like that it has so much color on the back and also it would be easier to do a custom quilting on it. I might have to consider this.

Jackie

o

Well, that settles it. I must have the cd. And the templates. So, my advice to those just considering this quilt: look at the package deals that give you cd, book, and templates for a discounted price.

Quilt as you go --- won't that result in lots of bulky seams? Or am I missing how you would connect the finished blocks? I've done a Fun 'n Done but didn't think it was much fun. And I don't like al the seams on the back.

Oh I just thought of a way you could do it. Quilt each block as you go using a light batting and a thin muslin backing. When you are all done, sew them together with sashing. Then batt and back the whole thing, again using a thin batting, and simply sewing along the sashing to quilt it. Would that work?

o

I was thinking just quilting each block with a different color backing, then joining them with sashing at the end. Should be no more seams than normal.

Jackie

o

I think I might make a couple more blocks then try it making a mini quilt out of it. Just to see how it feels. It will mean starting over on the whole quilt but what a better time at the beginning than to figure out later that I don't like that method with it.

Jackie

o

Usually with QAYG, when you add sashing there are a couple of things to consider (& depends on your method)

1~There's potential for a LOT of hand sewn seams
2~Depending on your sashing size, you also have to add batting to them, or plan in advance and add extra wide batting on your blocks to accommodate the sashing later (pre planning is the key)

Kate~I think your idea could work, but there's a lot to plan ahead for. With your last idea above, your sashings might still only get one layer of batting while the blocks would have two (depending on how you handle it)

I like the look of the sashing, but with as much work as the top would take, I'm not interested in taking that much work to get it together...

o

Here are the ones I have already....will probably do a couple of them over. Thinking I'll keep with the TATW theme of the original but make it more prominent.

photo DJ15_zpsa38155c2.jpg

SharonG/FL

o

TATW?

o

Trip Around the World.......If you look closely, DJ is loosely based on it.

o

Here's an idea of what I was thinking of doing... maybe with Jinny Beyer blendables, maybe with batiks, maybe with marbles, not exactly sure.

It consists of 2 shades of yellow, 6 shades of green, and 6 shades of blue to purple.

Thoughts please?

o

I think it would be beautiful! Jinny Beyer fabric - yeah, I can see that.

o

No yellow in the outer border?

o

Teresa, I went with matching the triangle border color with the color that it touched... Maybe a yellow binding?? My background is going to be black. Yellow would make a nice pop of color I think.

o

Wrap me in a rubber quilt and lock me up before I hurt myself. The thing is, I got all the patterns and some paint sticks for Audubon's Christmas quilt. I really need to stick to one impossible project at a time.

o

LOL! I already had one impossible project picked out too but Jane is taking over. Whether it's Jane, or Sylvia, or any other BIG project, I'm sensing that the members of our delightful forum are heading into The Year of Impossible Projects. This is going to be FUN!

o

And the "Year of Impossible Projects" can all be blamed on Kate!!! She's the one that got us all started down this path, so when we go astray, we can blame her!! lol

o

I still haven't put the applique project together we started a couple of years ago.......now an other one.......

o

Since I couldn't make it to the quilt show this past weekend, and I don't have a vendor in town that has all the Moda Bella or Kona Solids colors, I just ordered 1/2 yard of several neutral grays. I'll lay them all out and pick the background color that way.

Also ordered the CD and the templates. I didn't need the 5'x5' but the elongated triangle will be an important tool, I think.

I found a couple beautiful prints that I'll be using in the quilt and have the freezer paper I can run through the printer, too. I am almost ready to go!

o

Jennifer, I like your color scheme idea!

I don't have any desire to jump into one of the Dear Jane type quilts, but I recently bought the Patchwork of the Crosses book, and it could easily become a candidate for the Year of the Impossible Projects. Can we add it to the thread? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Patchwork of the Crosses

o

Donna, that definitely qualifies! I've never seen that pattern before - it's so intricate!

o

It's really just elongated hexagons...the intricacy comes from fussy cutting the pieces. They all look so different!

The book gives 3 sewing methods: English paper piecing (the traditional way), regular hand piecing, or a hybrid of machine and hand piecing. And InkLingo has the shapes and instructions you can buy so you can print the hexagons directly on your fabric! (Haven't bought it yet but probably will...LOL.)

Donna

o

Oh, that DEFINITELY qualifies to join the "Year of Impossible Projects" (YIP)!!

It's very unique! And totally never something I'd do myself so I think YOU should do it instead!!

o

Jennifer, Here's another idea for you......this one was made by a quilting friend on FB.

SharonG/FL

16 - 1 - 0 - 313
blocks-triangles-corners-pieces

o

Okay, Sharon. You've got to stop!! Throwing fuel on the fire is so not pretty!! lol

This is a cool quilt...but even more OCD than I can handle! Planning to split some of those little pieces just because they are on the line b/t yellow & white....so not going to happen!

o

And if that isn't enough to tempt you, look at the book called Dutch Treat. It's like a Dear Jane but all in blue appliqued blocks, Delft style. There are 196 of those little suckers, 4" finished. I made one and quit! Nice book, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Treat book

o

Linda,

I can truly enjoy the looks of these quilts, but you're safe... I have absolutely no desire or pull... They are all APPLIQUE!! I hate that as much more than scrappy... so no issue for me!

They are pretty to look at though!

o

I love all of the blocks that yus guys have posted!!! I have wanted to make Sylvia's quilt for a long time, I don't think I can do 4 inch blocks.

I had planned on QAYG with a narrow sashing because I enjoy hand work. All of the QAYGs I have made were lap size, and yes, all of the seams do make them heavier.

I am a quilting follower and my quilting friends are leading me astray lol!!!!
Rosa

o

I don't think I'd want to do 4 inch blocks either. Brenda's book has DJ blocks at 5 inches unfinished, 4 1/2 finished.

SharonG/FL

o

I am so impressed! And if I did not have a Fassett on-point handkerchief quilt in the works in stripes and solids going plus one more sandwiched and in the queque for quilting, I would join you! Kate, I hit a sale at Goodwill and purchased a slew of men's cotton striped shirts for a $1.00 each to get me started and have been picking up random striped fabric where ever I go----my husband now knows to stop automatically at the first sign of the word fabic in our weekend jaunts. Please post the blocks as you move along so I can learn from the masters----why do I keep doing these big projects that take oddles of time?---should just stick to the smaller projects, but just can't help myself---go big or go home! OK I feel better now.....

o

RUBENESQUE JANE?
I've learned that you can use the software to expand the 4.5" DJ blocks to 6". I think this will be friendlier to my arthritic hands because the pieces won't be so tiny. If I do that, I'll call it Big-boned Jane, or Burly Jane, or Rubenesque Jane!

o

Kate, after you finish your Rubenesque Jane, you can start on your Amazonian Sunbonnet Sue! LOL

o

LOL!

o

My Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book arrived Saturday, but I'm very disappointed that it smells so strongly of cigarette smoke. I've got it in a large plastic bag with a lavendar reed infuser to see if that will help. I may hang it on the clothesline in the sun this weekend to see if that helps to get rid of the smell.

I blame myself that I didn't check to see if there was a "smoke free home" indication when I ordered it from the Etsy shop. :o(

o

The year of impossible projects sounds so appropo...

Donna: Patchwork of Crosses...seriously...I thought DJ was daunting...that appears beyond belief... incredible.

Kate, I'm with ya...,resizing to 6" seems very reasonable and we would not want your hands to seize up over DJ. Looking forward to anaconda oops.. amazonian sue...

After getting my challenge quilt block down to 4", I'm not going any smaller for quite a while...and we all know how challenged I was with the challenge block...lol :-)

Theresa, I live w/ a smoker, not much will get rid of that horrible odor...try lemon peels in the book...good luck...

I look forward to reading the future impossible projects posts!

V.

o

I have the CD!
I have Kaffe fabric!
I have several samples of background solids!

I spent a couple hours last night playing with the software to figure out how to set up the quilt, how to find additional color palettes and how to print blocks with altered sizes.

Now all I need is time to start sewing. I have some yardwork responsibilities this afternoon, but this evening I will fire up the sewing machine and try out some of these background shades.

Here's an image of my proposed layout, but it will probably have the dark gray background. I reserve the right to change this several times before the quilt is finished!

photo Cropper143_zps7c9bd025.jpg

o

Love the color layout !!!

o

It's lovely! Interesting...is it a landscape layout? Sun, sky, tree, flowers, lake?

o

That is stunning. I love the colors. I'd do it in batik brights on white. But, it will have to wait till I work off a few dozen UFOs sitting here.

o

Not a landscape, just abstract. I didn't want anything too symetrical and I wanted to use a lot of the fabrics I already have. I think I was going more for motion than for an image. Once it's made, I think the color pattern is really secondary to the impact of all those little blocks, but I needed some kind of plan before I started.

I've made two blocks tonight in the 6" format and now I'm leaning towards the light background. The dark is dramatic and DH Jim is pressing for that that option, but the light background (I used Kona Snow) really shows the pattern and the fabric. Although I think the dark would hide mistakes better. I'm usually very decisive so this indecision is freaking me out! Magothyrivergirl would probably tell me to have a glass of wine and chill. Good advice, Marsha! I'll do it!

o

So, Kate. What have you accomplished this weekend??? We DO need to see your progress, you know. ;)

o

Nothing accomplished this weekend :~((

Too busy with neighbors and Halloween decorations. Maybe too lazy.

o

I'm doing a sew a long over at QIAD forum for the Sylvia Bridal Sampler. We do three a week. I did the Orient Star tonight and it's not in this picture. Here they all are so far:
 photo DSCN3198_zpsb0610bf3.jpg

Is anyone here working on a SBS? They are two inches bigger than Jane. I really look up to you for doing Janes!

o

Amazing, Vicky! Very good work!

I've got most of the cigarette smoke out of my SBS book. If I can find a background fabric, I'll probably get started around the first of the New Year. I'm pretty sure I will do a wall hanging size, with the background a warm cream color that will blend well with my wall color.

Teresa

o

I have a whole 4 blocks completed now. hahaha Have not had much time to sew as I have been traveling for work. I think I am home until the 6th of November then I have to go to Vegas and then to Dallas December 10th. I am still thinking of doing the quilt as you go method as I love having all the colors on the back.

Jackie

o

I like what I see Jackie! Can't wait for the next installation...

Any luck with yours, Kate?

o

Well done Jackie...you are off and running!

Same to you Vicky, SBS is 'nother major undertaking!

Jen, did you decide to join this DJ thing as well?

V.

o

Val,

I'd very much like to 'do this DJ thing' too.

~I've gotten a design I'm happy with
~I have a friend who has the EQ cd of designs that said I could borrow it. She's got one in progress and won't give me her book, though.
~Can't afford the book right now, but would like that as well.
~Same friend said I could come 'shopping' at her house for fabric. The cost of that is holding me up right now, too.

With all that said, I think I could start in January maybe. I'm working on finishing UFOs right now and have a baby shower to plan/host in Nov. So I'll be plenty busy through the holidays without throwing that in as well.

we'll see if I win the lottery!

o

I have the SBS book. I was surprised that so many of the blocks (maybe all!) are paper pieced. This project grows on you lol!

There's no way I can start until after Christmas!

o

A friend has kindly offered to loan me the book, and another friend has loaned me the EQ cd...so that left the fabric. I was able to shop a friend's stash, and with a little from my own, I've come up with this for my pallet...using the black fabric for the background....

We'll see what happens next ;)

o

that would make a beautiful combination.

o

So Jen, you kind of did hit the lottery! I love your fabrics. Have fun!

Donna

o

Love color combination and the fabric...just lovely...

V.

o

For Christmas my sister got me Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book, my mom got me plastic template sheets, and my son and DH got me fabric and fabric pens. So hoping to start this project in 2014. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and peaceful New Year.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Sandra, I look forward to seeing your progress. Post a pic of the fabrics if you get a chance.

o

I will Bev, but I plan to do a lot of sewing by hand, so progress will be slow, I anticipate this project taking a few years to make, in between other projects such as my parents' queensize Card Tricks quilt that I still need to add a border to - DH got me a 6.5" x 24" ruler for Christmas for this project - hoping to hand quilt their quilt in 2014. I am going to work from my stash as much as possible, so this quilt will be scrappy in pinks, purples, blues, yellows, greens, and oranges... and whatever else I have in my stash. Planning to use white on white (WOW) fabric for the background fabric as my sister and DH just bought me a bunch of it. I think I am going to get a large binder(s) and clear pages to put each block pattern in as I make them. Am taking some granny square quilt blocks that I have fabric already cut for on our RV, but am eager to be back home so I can work on my parents' quilt and start the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks. Hope you all have a Happy New Year 2014!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

So, I'm hoping everyone is making progress on their 'impossible projects'! I keep looking at my palette and wish to start soon, but not sure when that will be.

My question today is: Will/Do you pick blocks and work in order, or will you jump around as you feel like it? If you are working with a specific color layout, will you do all the same color/fabric combination at the same time?

Part of me wants to work in order, so that things can go together along the way and show progress. But another part of me wants to do all the 'easy' blocks first as I get into this. And then a different part of me says to do whatever comes to mind when I sit and work on it.

So what's your strategy? (Oh, and what's your progress??)

o

I am just doing whatever floats my boat at the time. I will not be putting it together in the exact order of the original, because I am just picking willy nilly which block I do and which fabric. When I get the blocks complete, then I will decide what arrangement they go in.

Jackie

o

I got some batiks and started DJ(made 4-5 blocks) but don't like it that way so I am giving up making it with that fabric. I may still try making it by machine with more traditional fabric as I bought the CD and feel committed.
It does look nicer done by hand but too time consuming.
Looking forward to seeing how others achieve their goal.

o

Hi all! I'm done (thankfully!) with the flu, done with the big neighborhood Christmas party, done with Holiday travel, and done (almost) with year-end work reports, I am READY to get back to sewing! DH Jim will be out of town most of January, so I'm expecting many of my evenings will be spent in the sewing room, with my machine happily buzzing.

I like Jen's question. I think my answer is pretty close to Jackie's although I do intend to make all the blocks in the original design. But whatever feels good at the moment is what I'll do. Initially I had planned to go in order so I could be sure I was using colors that went together side-by-side, but I think I have a good enough idea of my plan to jump around a little.

Kate

o

Happy New Year everyone!

Since I plan to make a wall hanging size of the SBS quilt, I think I will probably pick and choose which blocks I want to make and place them where I want them placed.

Any ideas about background fabric? Solid? WOW? Pale color TOT?

Teresa

o

I have not decided what order I want to make the SBS blocks in, but will be using WOW fabric for the background fabric as my DH and sister bought me several yards of it for Christmas. Will be using mostly floral prints for my blocks in mostly bright colors, my quilt is going to be scrappy. Happy New Year!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Teresa, I'd go with a TOT rather than a solid. The only solid I really think offers impact as a solid is black. Solids usually feel 'flat' to me. I think you should pick a nice soft TOT background that will highlight the pattern fabrics, and maybe one that coordinates with the room where you intend to hang it.... (Very non-committal answer, huh?)

o

For this quilt, because the pieces are so small, I'm going with solids for the background. I like the Kona neutral solids and will be using those. But I don't think you can go wrong with a TOT either.

o

I got the SBS book with 6" block patterns, are the blocks for the Farmer's Wife and Dear Jane both 6" blocks? SBS 6" blocks, FW 6" blocks, DJ 4" blocks - thanks Kate. :-)

Best to you and thanks,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:09

o

Is anyone here doing the Farmers Wife?
Kate, what program did you use to color your blocks for planning out your DJ?

This project has been growing on me too, although I already have one "impossible project" going - the Sue Garman "Friends of Baltimore".
Before I jump in though I really need to mull it over, maybe for another 6 months. I look forward to seeing your blocks here.

o

I started my SBS quilt today by hand piecing the Irish Chain block. Will be making 3 more of these for my corner blocks.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Sandra,

That's a great start! Good for you for jumping in!! Can't wait to see your progress!

Jennifer

o

Thanks Jennifer!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Today I finally figured out how I want to layout the blocks for the SBS quilt that I am doing in bright, bold colors with WOW fabric. I want my quilt which will be a sampler of sorts to have color balance throughout the quilt. So I am going to pick the blocks I like and make them in multiples of 4 and 8 so I have corners, corner frames, and middles and do this in repetition in each square / rectangular row. I know this is a different spin on it than everybody else is doing, but this layout makes me very happy and will give me color balance. Here is a pick of the Irish Chain block that I will duplicate for my 4 corner blocks of the quilt.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

This crocheted granny square afgan that I made a few years back is my inspiration for my SBS quilt layout using multiples of each block I select to use to give it great color balance while still being a sampler quilt. I am hoping to finish this quilt hand piecing it and hand quilting it in 2 years time to be used on my new motor home, so I have got a lot of motivation to get this done!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Whoop! That's lovely! Bright and cheery, it's just what I needed to see to convince myself that yes, spring is almost here and I must start my tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here