Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

CSI: DearJane

K8Orlando
10 years ago

CSI: DearJane

No, not 'crime scene investigation'. In this case it means Creative Sewing Ideas. Anyone interested in, involved in, experienced in, etc, etc, any of the small block quilts like Dear Jane, Farmers Wife, or Sylvia's Bridal are invited to follow this thread and post to it with pictures, updates, experiences and advice. Oh yeah, lots and lots of encouragement is needed too!

I received my Dear Jane book in the mail today! Woo HOO! All other plans for the day were shelved as I poured over the book. I don't have my fabric yet so I can't get started but I'll be shopping for that at a quilt show next Friday. Good timing, right?!?

I'm playing with colors but haven't made any final decisions yet. Pretty sure I'll be using Kaffe Fassett fabrics in hot colors (think: lava, tropical sunset, chili cook-off, Gauguin painting) with a cool, modern gray background. Then again, I may go with the purple, blue, green shades and a white background. OK, seriously, I haven't decided.

I can already tell that I'll want the correct ruler to get the border triangles just right.

Jackie says she'll be giving it a try with her collection of Civil War reproduction fabrics - very authentic and true to Jane's original. I'm sure it will be stunning. We have Robbi's rainbow Jane and Nanajayne's teal Sylvia for inspiration. My non-posting friend Marilyn is about to start on The Farmer's Wife; I'm hoping she'll join us on-line for this adventure. And Littlehelen may feel the urge to get started on her batik Jane before long, too!

Will we ever finish? Will we actually START? What colors will we choose and which blocks will cause us the most drama? Stay tuned to CSI: DearJane to find out!!!

Comments (116)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Oh, that DEFINITELY qualifies to join the "Year of Impossible Projects" (YIP)!!

It's very unique! And totally never something I'd do myself so I think YOU should do it instead!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Jennifer, Here's another idea for you......this one was made by a quilting friend on FB.

SharonG/FL

16 - 1 - 0- 313
    blocks-triangles-corners-pieces

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Okay, Sharon. You've got to stop!! Throwing fuel on the fire is so not pretty!! lol

This is a cool quilt...but even more OCD than I can handle! Planning to split some of those little pieces just because they are on the line b/t yellow & white....so not going to happen!

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

And if that isn't enough to tempt you, look at the book called Dutch Treat. It's like a Dear Jane but all in blue appliqued blocks, Delft style. There are 196 of those little suckers, 4" finished. I made one and quit! Nice book, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Treat book

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Linda,

I can truly enjoy the looks of these quilts, but you're safe... I have absolutely no desire or pull... They are all APPLIQUE!! I hate that as much more than scrappy... so no issue for me!

They are pretty to look at though!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I love all of the blocks that yus guys have posted!!! I have wanted to make Sylvia's quilt for a long time, I don't think I can do 4 inch blocks.

I had planned on QAYG with a narrow sashing because I enjoy hand work. All of the QAYGs I have made were lap size, and yes, all of the seams do make them heavier.

I am a quilting follower and my quilting friends are leading me astray lol!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I don't think I'd want to do 4 inch blocks either. Brenda's book has DJ blocks at 5 inches unfinished, 4 1/2 finished.

SharonG/FL

• redmary
    10 years ago

I am so impressed! And if I did not have a Fassett on-point handkerchief quilt in the works in stripes and solids going plus one more sandwiched and in the queque for quilting, I would join you! Kate, I hit a sale at Goodwill and purchased a slew of men's cotton striped shirts for a $1.00 each to get me started and have been picking up random striped fabric where ever I go----my husband now knows to stop automatically at the first sign of the word fabic in our weekend jaunts. Please post the blocks as you move along so I can learn from the masters----why do I keep doing these big projects that take oddles of time?---should just stick to the smaller projects, but just can't help myself---go big or go home! OK I feel better now.....

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RUBENESQUE JANE?
    I've learned that you can use the software to expand the 4.5" DJ blocks to 6". I think this will be friendlier to my arthritic hands because the pieces won't be so tiny. If I do that, I'll call it Big-boned Jane, or Burly Jane, or Rubenesque Jane!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, after you finish your Rubenesque Jane, you can start on your Amazonian Sunbonnet Sue! LOL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

My Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book arrived Saturday, but I'm very disappointed that it smells so strongly of cigarette smoke. I've got it in a large plastic bag with a lavendar reed infuser to see if that will help. I may hang it on the clothesline in the sun this weekend to see if that helps to get rid of the smell.

I blame myself that I didn't check to see if there was a "smoke free home" indication when I ordered it from the Etsy shop. :o(

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

The year of impossible projects sounds so appropo...

Donna: Patchwork of Crosses...seriously...I thought DJ was daunting...that appears beyond belief... incredible.

Kate, I'm with ya...,resizing to 6" seems very reasonable and we would not want your hands to seize up over DJ. Looking forward to anaconda oops.. amazonian sue...

After getting my challenge quilt block down to 4", I'm not going any smaller for quite a while...and we all know how challenged I was with the challenge block...lol :-)

Theresa, I live w/ a smoker, not much will get rid of that horrible odor...try lemon peels in the book...good luck...

I look forward to reading the future impossible projects posts!

V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the CD!
    I have Kaffe fabric!
    I have several samples of background solids!

I spent a couple hours last night playing with the software to figure out how to set up the quilt, how to find additional color palettes and how to print blocks with altered sizes.

Now all I need is time to start sewing. I have some yardwork responsibilities this afternoon, but this evening I will fire up the sewing machine and try out some of these background shades.

Here's an image of my proposed layout, but it will probably have the dark gray background. I reserve the right to change this several times before the quilt is finished!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Love the color layout !!!

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

It's lovely! Interesting...is it a landscape layout? Sun, sky, tree, flowers, lake?

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That is stunning. I love the colors. I'd do it in batik brights on white. But, it will have to wait till I work off a few dozen UFOs sitting here.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not a landscape, just abstract. I didn't want anything too symetrical and I wanted to use a lot of the fabrics I already have. I think I was going more for motion than for an image. Once it's made, I think the color pattern is really secondary to the impact of all those little blocks, but I needed some kind of plan before I started.

I've made two blocks tonight in the 6" format and now I'm leaning towards the light background. The dark is dramatic and DH Jim is pressing for that that option, but the light background (I used Kona Snow) really shows the pattern and the fabric. Although I think the dark would hide mistakes better. I'm usually very decisive so this indecision is freaking me out! Magothyrivergirl would probably tell me to have a glass of wine and chill. Good advice, Marsha! I'll do it!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

So, Kate. What have you accomplished this weekend??? We DO need to see your progress, you know. ;)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing accomplished this weekend :~((

Too busy with neighbors and Halloween decorations. Maybe too lazy.

• vicky4x4
    10 years ago

I'm doing a sew a long over at QIAD forum for the Sylvia Bridal Sampler. We do three a week. I did the Orient Star tonight and it's not in this picture. Here they all are so far:

Is anyone here working on a SBS? They are two inches bigger than Jane. I really look up to you for doing Janes!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Amazing, Vicky! Very good work!

I've got most of the cigarette smoke out of my SBS book. If I can find a background fabric, I'll probably get started around the first of the New Year. I'm pretty sure I will do a wall hanging size, with the background a warm cream color that will blend well with my wall color.

Teresa

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have a whole 4 blocks completed now. hahaha Have not had much time to sew as I have been traveling for work. I think I am home until the 6th of November then I have to go to Vegas and then to Dallas December 10th. I am still thinking of doing the quilt as you go method as I love having all the colors on the back.

Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I like what I see Jackie! Can't wait for the next installation...

Any luck with yours, Kate?

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Well done Jackie...you are off and running!

Same to you Vicky, SBS is 'nother major undertaking!

Jen, did you decide to join this DJ thing as well?

V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Val,

I'd very much like to 'do this DJ thing' too.

~I've gotten a design I'm happy with
    ~I have a friend who has the EQ cd of designs that said I could borrow it. She's got one in progress and won't give me her book, though.
    ~Can't afford the book right now, but would like that as well.
    ~Same friend said I could come 'shopping' at her house for fabric. The cost of that is holding me up right now, too.

With all that said, I think I could start in January maybe. I'm working on finishing UFOs right now and have a baby shower to plan/host in Nov. So I'll be plenty busy through the holidays without throwing that in as well.

we'll see if I win the lottery!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I have the SBS book. I was surprised that so many of the blocks (maybe all!) are paper pieced. This project grows on you lol!

There's no way I can start until after Christmas!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

A friend has kindly offered to loan me the book, and another friend has loaned me the EQ cd...so that left the fabric. I was able to shop a friend's stash, and with a little from my own, I've come up with this for my pallet...using the black fabric for the background....

We'll see what happens next ;)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

that would make a beautiful combination.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

So Jen, you kind of did hit the lottery! I love your fabrics. Have fun!

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Love color combination and the fabric...just lovely...

V.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

For Christmas my sister got me Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book, my mom got me plastic template sheets, and my son and DH got me fabric and fabric pens. So hoping to start this project in 2014. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and peaceful New Year.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Sandra, I look forward to seeing your progress. Post a pic of the fabrics if you get a chance.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I will Bev, but I plan to do a lot of sewing by hand, so progress will be slow, I anticipate this project taking a few years to make, in between other projects such as my parents' queensize Card Tricks quilt that I still need to add a border to - DH got me a 6.5" x 24" ruler for Christmas for this project - hoping to hand quilt their quilt in 2014. I am going to work from my stash as much as possible, so this quilt will be scrappy in pinks, purples, blues, yellows, greens, and oranges... and whatever else I have in my stash. Planning to use white on white (WOW) fabric for the background fabric as my sister and DH just bought me a bunch of it. I think I am going to get a large binder(s) and clear pages to put each block pattern in as I make them. Am taking some granny square quilt blocks that I have fabric already cut for on our RV, but am eager to be back home so I can work on my parents' quilt and start the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks. Hope you all have a Happy New Year 2014!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

So, I'm hoping everyone is making progress on their 'impossible projects'! I keep looking at my palette and wish to start soon, but not sure when that will be.

My question today is: Will/Do you pick blocks and work in order, or will you jump around as you feel like it? If you are working with a specific color layout, will you do all the same color/fabric combination at the same time?

Part of me wants to work in order, so that things can go together along the way and show progress. But another part of me wants to do all the 'easy' blocks first as I get into this. And then a different part of me says to do whatever comes to mind when I sit and work on it.

So what's your strategy? (Oh, and what's your progress??)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I am just doing whatever floats my boat at the time. I will not be putting it together in the exact order of the original, because I am just picking willy nilly which block I do and which fabric. When I get the blocks complete, then I will decide what arrangement they go in.

Jackie

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I got some batiks and started DJ(made 4-5 blocks) but don't like it that way so I am giving up making it with that fabric. I may still try making it by machine with more traditional fabric as I bought the CD and feel committed.
    It does look nicer done by hand but too time consuming.
    Looking forward to seeing how others achieve their goal.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all! I'm done (thankfully!) with the flu, done with the big neighborhood Christmas party, done with Holiday travel, and done (almost) with year-end work reports, I am READY to get back to sewing! DH Jim will be out of town most of January, so I'm expecting many of my evenings will be spent in the sewing room, with my machine happily buzzing.

I like Jen's question. I think my answer is pretty close to Jackie's although I do intend to make all the blocks in the original design. But whatever feels good at the moment is what I'll do. Initially I had planned to go in order so I could be sure I was using colors that went together side-by-side, but I think I have a good enough idea of my plan to jump around a little.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Happy New Year everyone!

Since I plan to make a wall hanging size of the SBS quilt, I think I will probably pick and choose which blocks I want to make and place them where I want them placed.

Any ideas about background fabric? Solid? WOW? Pale color TOT?

Teresa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I have not decided what order I want to make the SBS blocks in, but will be using WOW fabric for the background fabric as my DH and sister bought me several yards of it for Christmas. Will be using mostly floral prints for my blocks in mostly bright colors, my quilt is going to be scrappy. Happy New Year!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Teresa, I'd go with a TOT rather than a solid. The only solid I really think offers impact as a solid is black. Solids usually feel 'flat' to me. I think you should pick a nice soft TOT background that will highlight the pattern fabrics, and maybe one that coordinates with the room where you intend to hang it.... (Very non-committal answer, huh?)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For this quilt, because the pieces are so small, I'm going with solids for the background. I like the Kona neutral solids and will be using those. But I don't think you can go wrong with a TOT either.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I got the SBS book with 6" block patterns, are the blocks for the Farmer's Wife and Dear Jane both 6" blocks? SBS 6" blocks, FW 6" blocks, DJ 4" blocks - thanks Kate. :-)

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:09

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Is anyone here doing the Farmers Wife?
    Kate, what program did you use to color your blocks for planning out your DJ?

This project has been growing on me too, although I already have one "impossible project" going - the Sue Garman "Friends of Baltimore".
    Before I jump in though I really need to mull it over, maybe for another 6 months. I look forward to seeing your blocks here.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I started my SBS quilt today by hand piecing the Irish Chain block. Will be making 3 more of these for my corner blocks.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Sandra,

That's a great start! Good for you for jumping in!! Can't wait to see your progress!

Jennifer

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Jennifer!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Today I finally figured out how I want to layout the blocks for the SBS quilt that I am doing in bright, bold colors with WOW fabric. I want my quilt which will be a sampler of sorts to have color balance throughout the quilt. So I am going to pick the blocks I like and make them in multiples of 4 and 8 so I have corners, corner frames, and middles and do this in repetition in each square / rectangular row. I know this is a different spin on it than everybody else is doing, but this layout makes me very happy and will give me color balance. Here is a pick of the Irish Chain block that I will duplicate for my 4 corner blocks of the quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

This crocheted granny square afgan that I made a few years back is my inspiration for my SBS quilt layout using multiples of each block I select to use to give it great color balance while still being a sampler quilt. I am hoping to finish this quilt hand piecing it and hand quilting it in 2 years time to be used on my new motor home, so I have got a lot of motivation to get this done!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Whoop! That's lovely! Bright and cheery, it's just what I needed to see to convince myself that yes, spring is almost here and I must start my tomatoes.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource