Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Big, red quilt

loisflan
9 years ago

My sister visited today, and we decided on the layout for her son's quilt. It's City Tracks by Cherri House. We were both delighted with how it laid out. It will finish at 96"x102". The colors are more vibrant that the photo shows. Now I have to decide how to quilt it.

Comments (21)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Wow! Love it.
    Theresa

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Are you going to quilt it yourself? It looks HUGE! I know it'll shrink a little when you sew all the blocks together, but still.... BIG! :)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Very nice! You must not have kitties in your house. :). If I laid blocks out on the floor somebody would be surfing in them in no time! LOL

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

WooHooooo, Lois!!! I love that!!!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Love it!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful. Soooo many quilting options. Whatever you decide will be fun to see.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Looks good. That's a big quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

You and your sister did a great job balancing the colors! That quilt will surely show off the quilting well!

Well done!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Omg...how fun is that! Just love the bright colors and I agree with Jen, nice job balancing the layout!
    Great pattern for a guy quilt...
    V.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

Good job of putting them together. It looks like a quilt a young man would love as I know he will. It will be a challenge to quilt but you always do a great job. Can't wait to see it. TFS

• bev2009
    9 years ago

That will be stunning when complete. Lucky nephew!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Looks great - I bet you and your baby sis had a great time playing with the blocks. Good distribution of the colors.
    Is this a surprise for your nephew?

For the quilting, you could stitch 1/4" inside each color - alot of stop & starts.....but you'll need alot of breaks on this big one!

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marsha, my nephew and his wife wanted a bright, red, modern quilt, so I showed them a photo of this pattern, and they loved it. I had made quilts for their two daughters (the Marimekko Chinese coin quilts), and the parents were jealous. LOL

The suggested quilting for this pattern was a line about 3/8" on either side of the black stripe and then another at the outer edge of the larger red portion of the block. I figured if it took me 10 minutes to do each block, the whole quilt would take 45 hours to quilt. All those stops and starts are so daunting, but I think I may have to do just that. Somehow, an all-over panto just doesn't seem right. I tried a couple of other ideas on a small sample, but they didn't look good either. It just seems to be a quilt that needs many stops and starts to achieve the look I want. They may get it for Christmas 2015.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Lois, your quilt is really stunning. Everyone keeps posting these great quilts .... now I have to add more to my list! Lucky nephew, that's for sure.

Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

yes-yes-yes-that quilting was exactly what I was trying to describe! I usually stitch 1/4" because my feet have 1/4" marks for turning corners--makes it easier. It is going to take you forever......but a good project for mindless sewing when you just feel like stitching. It will look very modern on the back. What are you using for the backing??

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This whole project requires mindlessness. It's pretty boring. I wish the photo could really capture the colors. I'll have to try again. The blocks are really stunning together; the photo makes them look kind of tomato-y, but in reality, they are gorgeous and deeply colored. The are all textures and small prints - no solids except the black. We found a 108" backing that is the perfect red-on-red polka dot. I was thinking of something with more black in it, but my sis really loved the polka dots and she was paying. She is the one in the family with impeccable taste, so I deferred. I'll be quilting with more red.

This post was edited by loisf on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 14:25

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Polka Dots!!! Perfect contrast - round edges vs linear edges.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Lois, If interested, here's a link to a City Tracks that shows the quilting on the front and back.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: City Tracks quilting up close

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

I like the City Track quilting. Goes well with the design I think.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

It looks to me like that quilting would go much faster.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sharon. That is an interesting option. Bev and Jayne, I think it looks good too, and it certainly would be a lot faster. I'm going to send the link to my sis and see what she thinks. In my mind, the black bars need to pop, so I hate to think of quilting over them, but the blue quilt really looks nice too. Thanks, ladies.