Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

As requested (long, long ago) - fabric pics!

karpet
11 years ago

For the last several years I've only bought fabric at thrift stores and garage sales. I've mentioned that it has drastically changed what my stash looks like. Most of what I buy is not what I would go into a fabric store and pick out, but as long as I don't hate it, and it is $1 a yard or less, I usually get it. It has definitely made for more interesting quilts because left to my own inclinations, I would have a lot of matching, medium tone fabrics that can actually make a quilt where all the fabrics just melt together and don't really stand out.

Any hoo, quite awhile back, some had asked me to post pics of some of my fabric finds. These are my favorites. The first few I like because they are unusual, and the last ones are ones I really like (and I don't know why!) but they are a mind-challenge to me - these are the ones that will keep my mind running all night thinking of patterns and fabrics to match them with in a quilt.

This one is from a district in India

These two are Harwood Steiger fabrics

Here is a great 60's fabric

This is a beautiful vintage fabric

And here are my 'keep my brain working all night' ones

Comments (18)

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I love vintage fabrics too! The busy floral with the tulips and the white poppies(?) would make a great Stack 'N Whack.

I have some of the last picture and it keeps me thinking too!

Mary

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

COOL! I like the first one best. Looks kinda retro Western.

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I like the tulips and the purple in the your don't know why list lol.

I was lucky enough to find some vintage fabric too. I got a really good deal on it, there were some I really like in it and some I don't but for what I paid I got a really good deal so I can't complain.

:) Aqua

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I love the red-background floral and the purplish one after that. And I think my mom made me bellbottoms out of that 60s print! LOL

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

They're all really intriguing. I can see why the drew you. Looks like some of those are the stuff of center medallions with designed borders.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I could see where it would be challenging to have to design with fabric you normally wouldn't be working with. Good to stretch the mind though. Not sure what you can do with the birds. LOL Love the tulips and the first print. I keep meaning to check the newspaper for garage sales to look for fabric. I did find some great pieces at an antique store for a steal a few years ago. Wish I had bought more of it.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

What great fabric! The minute I saw your blue tulip print on the red background I thought of this quilt I made with a floral focus fabric and log cabins in matching "solids."

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Wow!!! Great finds!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Cool finds...I'm partial to the last few, but do like them all...what fun you will have!
    V.

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary - Your kidding, you have the same fabric? Where did you get it?

Karlene

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

One could probably print any one of them off onto fabric that will go in your printer Beautiful fabric

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

loisf, I like the quilt. Great way to showcase and set the various elements off.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Would you be my personal shopper????? Great fabric- great prices - love the unique prints!

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marsha - before you ask me to be your personal shopper (that would be a fun job!) just remember that these are my unusual ones and the ones I like. There are others........ (well, every quilt does need a back!)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh those Harwood Steiger fabrics!!!! Love Love LOVE them!!! I would show them off by making counter top appliance covers - like for your mixer or whatever - or tote bags out of them!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Another thought: you could sell those Harwood Steiger prints on eBay or Etsy and make enough money to buy all the fabric you want!!! $20-$30 per yard is typical sale price.

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate: 00 (those are my eyes bugging out!)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Interesting collection. I especially like the last one, I think it would be greadt as a border selection with the complementary fabric making the quilt.