Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

On Point Block Pics and question

rosajoe_gw
12 years ago

This is going to be a colorful quilt lol!! The red is much brighter than the pic shows.

I wanted the 12&1/2" center to be on point so I multiplied by 1.414 and added 1.25 to the sum. I'm aiming for a 16&1/2 " block.

I prefer it larger and trim to size BUT this was much larger and such a waste. I think I could have left off the additional 1&1/4". Attached is the table I went by.

What is your method of calculating on point settings????

Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: OnPointCalculations

Comments (8)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I assume you are refering to the 1/2 sq. triangles of white. I was watching a Fon and Porter yesterday that discussed that and they only used the l.414 and didn't mention the1.25. She said take you measurment of the block and X by 1.414 and that would be the size of the sq. you would cut on the diag.. I copyed the inst. but have not used it. I hate waste as well.
    Your quilt looks like a winner. TFS.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Love your colors, Rosa. As you know I'm math challenged so I rarely use charts as I don't trust them....I have to measure for myself, meaning that if I wanted to end up with 16 1/2" block, I would have measured out the 16 1/2" first, then drew lines for the center on-point block and measure the sides to find the correct size of the on-point block. Don't know if you followed that or not. Are you leaving the other squares the original size?

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I just make a square obviously bigger, cut it diagonally and sew it on and trim it down to size. Math makes my head hurt.

• day2day
    12 years ago

I do as toolgranny does. I'm not the best when it comes to math. Your blocks are so bright and happy. It's going to be a beautiful quilt.

~Geraldine

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I have a book that tells me information like this! That way I don't have to think or figure it out.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Rosa, I haven't seen calculations for this but I'm thinking you have the calculations backwards. If you want to take a 12" block and add triangles to set it on point, then the results will be a 16" block so all the surrounding blocks have to be 16". Work your numbers as divisions instead of multipliers to get the point block size to work with 12" surrounding blocks. I'm guessing but think it will be around 9" or 10".

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Rosa, that is SO pretty! Love the colors.

Bonnie Hunter has measurements for setting triangles and corners on her website www.quiltville.com. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.

Donna

• polardream
    12 years ago

Rosa,
    Love you colors and pattern!

The formula you have gives you the size of blocks you need to use for your setting triangles along the edge of the quilt. (size of block x 1.414, round to nearest 1/8" then add 1-1/4") Once you have that block, you cut it into quarters with an X. Corner setting triangles have another formula (finished size of a block, divide by 1.414 then round UP to nearest 1/8" and add 7/8" for seam allowances. Cut squares this size then cut in half diagonally.)

It looks like you are needing the dimensions for a square in a square and I can NEVER figure that one out! I found this link that might be helpful for that.

Good luck!
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: square in a square calculations