Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Flying Geese

K8Orlando
12 years ago

On the Moda blog series this month I saw this picture from Cotton Way. They call the quilt Flying Home. It's not really my style (if I HAVE a style) but it appeals to me and I keep going back to look at the picture. Seems like it could be a good use for all the batik pieces I have. It's simple but has interesting motion.

There are so many quilts made with Flying Geese. Have you made one? What pattern? What size were your blocks?

Kate

Comments (11)

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Think about it. Almost every quilt that has a star includes flying geese. I made something like 64 sets of flying geese for my Shakespeare in the Park quilt. There were six inch star blocks in the center with an additional set of flying geese to make them star within a star blocks. The advantage is that one finds the quickest, most accurate way of making them. For me, it was the no waste method.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

The wedding sampler had many FG's. I too used the no waste method with a slight change. I made them a tad oversized and trimmed them down. I did this because even doing the NW method a few were not the correct size.
    A few years ago, I made a lap quilt, FG's in rows separated by sashing strips. So those FG's are everywhere.
    Theresa
    Ps I love the pictured quilt but that will go way down on the must-do list.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I've been planning to do FG somehow but hadn't any ideas till I saw this. I see a black background with very bright batiks in my future. Thanks for posting that, Kate.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've used the no waste method and the paper piecing method. No waste is faster and if the blocks aren't tiny it makes nice, accurate blocks. Paper piecing makes for a perfectly lined up row with perfectly pointed points. For this quilt I would be happy with the no waste method.

Here is a link that might be useful: No Waste Flying Geese

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I've made two FG quilts, the first (no waste method) in all plaids and checks for my nephew's high school graduation and second most recent quilt, the "manly" FG birthday quilt using the Nickel Quilts pattern combined with 4-patch blocks in plaids and prints.

The Nickel Quilt design "Flying Home to Bali Bali" - my version with both FG blocks and the 4-patch blocks measuring 4" x 8":

I made a FG border using the no waste method for my $350.00 NOT lap quilt; FG blocks are about 2 3/4" x 1 1/2" finished:

The use of a block or row of FG adds movement and interest to a Northwoods/cabin style quilt. I think I prefer the geese flying in an orderly fashion that the helter skelter arrangement in the design in the first post.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

The quilt linked below from the book "City Quilts" haunts me!

Here is a link that might be useful: City Aviation

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

It's on my to do list. Infact I was looking at the pattern last night thinking how I might do it.
    I have a FG quilt that is thread worn and very old. It has only three colors. Red print triangles with white print wings and a green that has turned mustard color for stashes between the rows. One row of "geese" is turned the wrong way.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Linda, Black with bright Batiks.....WOW!

Teresa, That's a fun 'manly' quilt. Really like it! And the geese flying around the cabin style quilt is great!

Sigh......wish I had more energy!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"City Aviation" - love, love, love it! The quilting is amazing!

Love the little FG border outside the wide solid border. That would work well on almost any quilt.

There just aren't enough hours in the day....

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I also love, love, love that "City Aviation" quilt. I think it would be fun to do a small wall hanging and hand quilt it. I looked at some of the other 3000 images on that Flickrstream site. That Jessica does some amazing quilting.

Teresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

When I first started quilting I didn't care for FG blocks, now I like them a lot. They look great in borders too.

I use the no waste method.

Georgous quilts!!!!!!