Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

new quilter has question about cutting

casi
12 years ago

I am getting ready to make a 3 inch sashing for my 12 inch quilt blocks. I want to cut the pieces 3 1/2 by 12 inches per a suggested step by step method suggested by geezerfolks back on 6-24-10. My question is how do I go about doing this. I roughly figured I will get 108 pieces out of a yard of material. (I wish that I knew how to insert a link) What do I do if my squares aren't exactly 12 inches square? Do I make the sashing piece the size of the square exactly? What would be the best way to cut the material. I have plenty of material. Cut a long running strip 3 1/2 in. wide and then just cut the strip per piece? If it would help for me to do a link for the tuitorial, would someone tell me how to do it? lol

Comments (4)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Double check your block measurements, but your blocks should be 12 1/2" square at this point.

If this is the case, then you'll want to cut sashing pieces 3 1/2" x 12 1/2".

The best way to use your fabric is this: With the fold of your fabric closest to you, measure 12 1/2" from the rough edges over. (Make sure you have a clean, even cut on the rough edge.) You will cut 3 1/2" strips parallel to the fold toward the selvadges. You should get 12 sashing strips from each section. Does this make sense?

Cut all your sashing strips the correct measurement. When you sew them to your blocks, pin the top and bottom edges of the sashing and ease in fullness where necessary while sewing. The part that has the 'extra' fullness may ease in easiest if it's on the bottom when you sew.

In order to add links to a post, open a reply/new post window and below the "message" box there is a place to type/paste the URL and then give a title to the link. You'll see the live link once you preview your post.

Hope this helps!

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jennifer to the answer for both my questions. I got to checking and my blocks are not all the same size. It was a block a month project that I have added to, using different patterns for each piece. Hopefully I can make it work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sashing link

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Jennifer gave you a great answer, including the information on 'easing'. Definitely do not alter your sashing to fit the oversized blocks. I would recommend that you trim all of your completed blocks to 12.5 x 12.5, or as close to that as you can. You may lose a point on a star but that's better than trying to ease too much. Remember, for easing two pieces that are not the same size, pin both ends and then middle; then try to pin so it all fits. If you can't make it fit without folds take the pins out and trim the block down to a better size.

Keep telling us how its going!
    Kate

• casi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm just about finished with the first step, er I could be except I'm going to have to re-do a couple of my blocks. I can sure tell which ones I made over a year ago. It took me awhile to figure out what 1/4 in. seam was/is on my machine. The first ones I made have too big a seam so they are a little smaller. A couple I couldn't even begin to stretch to make them work. I'm really impressed with how much the 3 in. sashing made my quilt grow! I didn't have any problem with having to cut anything off and I didn't lose any tips. The only thing now is....I don't know if I like my color selection anymore!