Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sew_self_taught

No Sew Placemats

sew_self-taught
16 years ago

I had this idea a while back. And since I was going to the Laundromat for my rag quilt I took along denim I had clipped for placemats. Fun and easy!! I have thought about embellishing them with red rick-rack or ribbon, but IÂm questioning the shrink differences between an embellishment verses the denim. Anyway, now just picture on the table some fried chicken, some baked beans, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, apple pie, well you get my drift. I wish I had these over the summer.

Nina

Comments (21)

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Nina,
    I love it just the way they are!!!!!! Did you line the place mats or just clip??????
    Rosa

• csackett
    16 years ago

I love it! I'm going to borrow that idea!
    Carolyn

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Me too,i like it just as it is.I don't think she lined it,nor would you have to ,as denim is heavy enough for a placemat and it ravels better without a lining.
    Kathi

• gillian_41
    16 years ago

What a clever idea Nina I like it just as it is, and bet they will last forever.
    Gillian

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

That's a really cute idea.

• new2quilting
    16 years ago

I love that bandana fabric with the denim. If you wanted, you could raw edge applique a bandana heart (or boot, or apple or other country motif) sew it on with at least a quarter inch seam, then clip the edges almost to the seam. Then your little bandana motif would fray just like the denim. The little extra color could make it pop a little more. --Amy

• anjea
    16 years ago

Amy, that's a cute idea to add to it! Nina, great placemats. Those are neat. :D

• sew_self-taught
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!!
    I did not line them. I just cut denim by the yard 14" x 19.5" then clipped ¾" deep.
    Amy  Your idea is great!! I wish I thought of that in the beginning. I was stuck on just a border, I didnÂt think "inside" the box.
    I love the encouragement and ideas we share with each other!

Nina

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Nina,
    I showed your placemats to my fam and now about 4 people want me to make them some. DS wants hers decorated with cowboy snowmen for Christmas.
    Wouldn't you think this would be easy enough even for a non sewer LOL?????
    I am beginning to wonder about some of my family!!!!!!
    Rosa

• sew_self-taught
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosa - IÂm so flattered you showed your family and they want you to make them. You also made me laugh. Thank you. I like the cowboy snowman idea. They will be really cute.

A couple of tips - They come out of the dryer very wrinkled and need some trimming, a little clean up, and a lot of pressing and some starching. Also if I make more I would stitch a stay stitch ¾" around the edges before clipping. I did not do that and after further review they look a little like they may fray more than I want when they are washed again. So I guess they arenÂt really "no sew" placemats.

Nina

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips Nina. I really love raggedies and someone told me that they will stop fraying after a certain point.
    OF COURSE THAT MAYBE HALF WAY TO THE MIDDLE!!!!!
    I would think you could still stay stitch.
    They are really gorgeous and I love the bandana napkins.
    Rosa

• sew_self-taught
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Rosa, and you totally crack me up!!

• bopeep
    16 years ago

I Love the placemats, I think I may make some myself.
    bopeep

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I just got back from vacation and read your post. I like the placemats as they are but think it a good plan to stay stitch. I have a "saddle" stitch on my machine and think it would be interesting to use with maybe red thread. Did you use yardage for your fabric? I think they would make cute christmas gifts. Jayne

• sew_self-taught
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jayne - I hope you had a nice vacation.

Yes - I just cut denim yardage 14" x 19.5" then clipped ¾" deep.

I was thinking of making some for Christmas gifts too. My only thought to share is they come out of the dryer very wrinkled. They do look nice all pressed, but IÂm not sure how theyÂll look after another washing. If the recipient is not handy with an iron and starch, they may not use them after they come out of the dryer for the first time. Does that make sense??

Nina

• ddavisgray
    16 years ago

Nina,

Those are just plain cute!

What a great idea to give to my friend that has a get-away cabin.
    Everything is done in a western theme and those would be perfect.

Mind if I copy your idea? Maybe embroidery a set of small horse shoes in the corner.

Thanks for the inspiration.

doris

• sew_self-taught
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boo-Whoo!! I want an embroidery machine!! ThatÂs a great idea Doris!

Nina

• crafteedee
    16 years ago

Was just thinking that it would be fun to sew a pocket on the side for the silverware. Either a premade jeans pocket, or a skinnier one with the red bandana fabric.

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Nina, I hadn't considered the wrinkles. I wonder if one added a fused layer they might not wrinkle as bad? Only adding the fusable to the part that isn't fringed. Jayne

• annief
    16 years ago

You could always make a double layer of denim....the stay stitching would hold them together and that would probably help the wrinkle problem, and if it were a different color denim, it'd be like you had a second set of placemats.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Love the "no-sew" placemats, but I agree--you'd have to stabilize the raw edge.

I have patched hubby's jeans many times over the years. From this experience, I have learned that two lines of stitching keep the frayed edge from propagating further into the fabric. I just use a straight stitch. I leave 1/4" between stitching lines. Less, and the raw edge unravels over time, as if there were only one line of stitching.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts