Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

2 quilt tops done!

K8Orlando
12 years ago

These are the dorm quilts for my twin niece and nephew who are starting college this year. They are going to separate schools so this will be a huge transition for them both.

This is for Emma. I used a Moda jelly roll from the Sanae fabric line Arcadia. Arcadia is a couple years old, but I think the colors and prints are very fresh and young. (I hope Emma thinks so too!) The finished size is 52" x 64".

I didn't have a wide fabric for the back so I used all the left over jelly roll pieces to add a section between pieces of the primary backing fabric. I inserted it off center so I wouldn't have to try to line it up when sandwiching!

Emma's Quilt

Backing (it's not really THIS wonky; it's just not ironed here!)

The blocks are very simple because I wanted the details of the fabric prints to show.

This quilt is for Robert. I've already posted this picture on the 9 Patch Pizzazz thread so I won't say much about it here. The backing will be a deep blue Minky with a thin flannel batting. The finished size is 52" x 70".

I'm hoping to get them both sandwiched and quilted in a week but it may take me two. The quilts are very different but I like the way both turned out.

Kate

Comments (20)

• imn2crafts
    12 years ago

Kate,,,I am new to the quilting board, but always am amazed at the beautiful quilts. Just loved the looks like snow quilt(snow to me is a curse word) we do not mix. Your niece and nephew are getting some wonderful Jewels!!!

Deb

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very nice Kate! I'm sure they will love them...a nice reminder of home when they get homesick. Great job!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Snow?

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Both lovely Kate! I'm sure your niece and nephew will be thrilled.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Great job on both. Sure to be well used and loved
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Good job. They're both just great. Nice colors.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Different but interesting. I think they will fit the subjects perfectly. Nice job as alwasys. TFS

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is weird but I just noticed that I put a striped inner border on both of them. That was not part of the plan but I guess I use striped fabric often in small borders. Oh no! I hope I'm not in a rut!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Love them both!!! Emma's qult doesn't read 'striped' border to me, it blends in well.
    The border is mitered perfectly in Robert's quilt.

• polardream
    12 years ago

Kate, they are both wonderful! I am sure they will love them and it will help them think of home while they are off to college.
    Sue

• day2day
    12 years ago

They are both lovely. Your niece and nephew will love them. Great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• kay6271
    12 years ago

Love them!!!
    Kay

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

I absolutely adore both of the quilts Kate! But I have to say, the one for Robert reminds me very much of Japan, so would be my favourite

Kristene

• User
    12 years ago

Great quilts, both of them. Lucky kids to have such a talented aunt!

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

You have 2 lucky recipients! Beautiful quilts. I wish I had time to make more gifts.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, all!

Rosajoe: I worked hard to make the mitered corners on Robert's quilt come out so matched. After all these years mitering should be easy and natural but each time I have to really think it through and fuss with it until I'm happy. These were worth the effort. :~))

Kristene: I love that Mount Fuji panel. I bought enough yardage to include 4 panels at a quilt show a few years ago, not sure what I would do with them. Two were used last year for a comfort quilt and matching bag for my boss whose daughter was ill. Then the last two went into this quilt. I've never been to Japan but it's on my Bucket List. I'm really drawn to Oriental prints and images.

Kate

This is the lap quilt I made last year with the same Fuji panel:
    {{!gwi}}

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I finished these in Sept I didn't think it would take a full month to get them quilted and bound. Sure feels good to have both done and ready to mail to the college kids!

This is Emma's. I hadn't planned to bind it in white but I like the contrast. The quilting is a fairly large meander with some big flowers thrown in. I'm not going to tell her that the quilt thread is glow-in-the-dark! That will be a surprise!

and this is the back:

This is Robert's. The backing and the binding are Minky. On a quilt this large the minky did stretch a little bit so I pinned a lot and kept the quilting simple.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Congratulations Kate. I like the white binding, perfect for that quilt. Love glow in the dark, have a couple of patches of glow in the dark fabric in my charm quilt and always brings smile. Great job. TFS.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, they are wonderful! I know your niece & nephew will love them. I made my niece a quilt for high school graduation and she took it to college with her. It got a lot of use in four years!

Donna

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Wow Kate,

What a marvelous pair of quilts!!!

The first one, Emma's, you did a great job letting the fabrics be the stars, great colors & fun prints & yes, the white binding really pops it so well. (I'm just now using my first set of strips/jelly roll (Bali Pops) & am really enjoying it.)

The 2nd, I hadn't seen the other thread, so this is my first view of Robert's/Mt. Fuji quilt. It's just terrific, such a nice execution, & the partial borders, minimal yet so effective.

Tremendous work, and SUCH going away presents!