Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

what I'm working on (pics)

rosajoe_gw
11 years ago

I don't know how this happened! I am embroidering the Susies and I find this ripped place on the blue unit. It was not there when I sewed the units together. I have no clue what happened, all I can do is sew a small patch over it. It is only DH and I, no pets, did I sleep walk and not remember it lol! Bummer man!!

Rosa

Comments (17)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

That is so upsetting. Sorry, I can feel you pain.
    It is such a lovily quilt I am sure it will get lost beside the charming ladies. Your hand work is so nice I am sure you will make it work. Some things are just meant to be I guess but difficult to understand sometimes.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I bet once you get that patched no-one will ever notice it. And it's lovely. Hey, I just noticed that a top I've gotten completely pieced has one row of stars going the opposite direction of all the rest, and you know what?? I'm not ripping it apart and re-doing it. The only way it will be noticed is if it's laid out for someone's inspection and I don't plan to do that. (It does aggravate me, though, I thought I was being so careful not to do that.)

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Oh Rosa, I am so sorry for you......I caused a small rip in a quilt when the foot got caught in a straight pin I had in the quilt.....I was devastated and so mad at myself, but at least I know how it happened.
    I suggest you slip a very small piece of fusible under the tear - use some tweezers - and press the spot matching the little tear. I then quilted over the spot. I couldn't find it after I was finished. The fusible should keep it from fraying, like with raw edge applique. Perhaps you can then embroider something to cover the tear - a surprise motif that goes with your Susies.
    Your quilt is very pretty and your embroidery is gorgeous. A show and tell quilt! heehee hint-hint

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Your quilt is wonderful! So sorry about the tear! I hope you can fix it to your satisfaction.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Oh, that is beautiful! Sometimes fabric just has weak spots and tears. I would carefully applique a blue square over it then quilt over that.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Your quilt is lovely. The suggestions offered will work and only you will know once it's done; but I bet you will have a hard time finding it once it's laid out again!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

It's beautiful and I agree. You won't find it later.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I bet Sue did it with one of those parasols. I don't think you can trust her; there's got to be a reason she never lets us see her face! That woman makes me nervous.

(But it's a lovely quilt!)

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Rosa, Take a deep breath, hon. You will fix it up perfectly and it will be ok. It's just what we do.

If 'Sue' did it, it wasn't on purpose.....she's a sweet lil thang!

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

And there we have it, yin and yang. Who truly is Sue, a deceptive wench, whispering behind your back, never to be trusted, or a delicate Southern belle, gracious to all she meets? Well never know.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

LOL - And that's just one more reason why I love this forum!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Kate, I think you'd like my Rebel Sue blocks. lol

• calliope
    11 years ago

"I bet Sue did it with one of those parasols. I don't think you can trust her; there's got to be a reason she never lets us see her face! That woman makes me nervous."

Laughing so hard, Kate

Rosa, I can relate. I took the crazy quilt down after I washe it up to send to the newest g'g'child, and found not one but FOUR places where the seam had not been secured well. Evidently the seam was too narrow, or the fabric frayed. One seam I was able to take a needle and thread and secure it with a close buttonhole stitch, very invisible. Three others, it took a patch. Not noticeable because of the random design on the blocks, but still I was disgusted! I do a quality check on all my seams before I sew blocks together and can't believe I missed four places, or else the first wash caused it, because I am not gentle with them when I wash them. I want to replicate the hardest wash the quilts will get when they're in their new homes. It justifies this step on all my gift quilts. I'd rather find a mistake before I send it out and correct it, than have someone else find it.

You'll be able to camouflage it well, and it won't be noticed. BTW, that is a precious design.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Love the design and colours.
    Did you machine embroider those Susies?
    I wonder if she has a wicked little smile on her face OR a very sad look because of the tear? We'll never know.
    I never really thought about her hidden face when I did my quilt but I will never look at her again without wondering.
    Theresa

• calverttx
    11 years ago

Well Rosa, I am sorry for the rip but look at all of the enjoyment that one small spot has given all of us today. And look at all the educatioal information we have on Susie. You never know when there may be a quiz. I love it and I love the beautiful quilt. I have made many quilts thru the years and not one has been error free and I have no idea who made all of those errors. Have a great day. Nancy

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks yous guys, you made me feel better lol!!! I think it was Sharon's 'Naughty Sue' blocks she was doing that visited my quilt!!

Isn't just a HUGE pain in the butt when we work so hard on something and it comes apart?????

I saw the cutest Halloween Quilt with 'Witchy Sue'. I would love to make it but it doesn't really get cool enough at Halloween to use one. Maybe just for decoration.

And, yes it machine applique, I'm not as talented as some of our members lol!!!!
    Rosa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Rosa, I'll bet you had no idea what an entertaining thread this was going to become. Sorry for the tear and delighted with the "subversive suzy" ideas.