Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemom61

Here it is, my 150 yr old quilt. Enjoy! (lots of pics)

prairiemom61
9 years ago

I inherited this beautiful applique quilt from my Mom. It was made by my Great, Great Grandmother in the 1850's. It is a Turkey Red tulip Quilt. The red has faded to a deep pink, but overall it's in excellent condition. It is very big, it fits our queen bed!
It has a couple of rust marks on the back where it apparently hung on a metal bed at some point.
I smile every time I see it. I had it hanging on one of our walls many years ago, but I was afraid it would fade so now I keep it in a cedar chest in a muslin bag and refold it a couple of times a year per my Mom's instructions. I'm more of a machine quilter, but my Mom and both Grandmothers did a lot of quilting, from applique to tiny piecing. I do know that 10-12 stitches per inch is considered excellent, but I'd love to hear your opinions.
I'd love to get it appraised sometime. Any suggestions?

This post was edited by prairiemom on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 16:23

Comments (21)

• prairiemom61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to add, it's 96" by 88".

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, wow, Prairiemom, it is fabulous! It's so precise - her applique stems are all so parallel! Kudos to your family for taking such good care of it. I know you love to see it, but keeping it stored out of the light and refolding it occasionally is probably the best thing for it.

As far as appraisals, check with either the American Quilters Society (americanquilter.com) or the Professional Association of Appraisers (quiltappraisers.org) to find a certified appraiser in your area. All the quilt shows here in FL have appraisers so if you have a quilt show coming up in your area check to see if they will have one. An appraiser should also be able to give you additional information on preserving it.

Donna

• prairiemom61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Donna! I know Mom had it appraised about 20 years ago, but I have no record of that appraisal.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

What a treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I agree with toolgranny......what a treasure!

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

It's wonderful, as is the great condition you've kept it in.
    LindaB/CA

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Oh, my. Absolutely awesome! Beautiful work and wonderful connection through generations.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

That is so beautiful. You are taking such good care of it, it makes you wonder how long it could be around.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Beautiful! And a treasured connection to the women in your family's history.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful work of art! A true family treasure!
    V.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Wonderful! A treasure for sure! I'm pretty sure we will be have an appraiser at our quilt show in Greensboro NC, September 19-20, 10 am to 5 pm and September 21, 12 noon to 5 pm.

www.piedmontquilts.org

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

Wow!!! I love to see old quilts and the quality workmanship. Absolutely beautiful!!

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

What a wonderful piece of family history. You must be so proud to be entrusted with such an heirloom. I hope you have someone who will appreciate it as much as you do to pass it too. Thank you for sharing your treasure with us.

• prairiemom61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I have three daughters who all appreciate quilts so it will be in good hands.
    Teresa, I'm in Kansas so I won't be able to get to NC for an appraiser. I have contacted a local appraiser though thanks to msmeow's links.
    I just have to wonder, when did Great, Great Grandmother Ann have time to do this needlework?! Farm wife in the 1850's. incredible!

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

What great care this treasure has gotten through all those years! It's wonderful. As for when did the farm women have time? That was probably the only social interaction they had other than church.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

That is an incredibly beautiful quilt. I've never seen an antique quilt that I admired more. It is simply wonderful. You are so fortunate to have such a memento of your family's past.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

beyond beautiful! that is breathtaking in every way...the colors and design...the quilting....what an awesome piece

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

It's definitely a quilt to be treasured. TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!
    Did GGMother live in Kansas also?

• prairiemom61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bee, she was born in Ireland in 1832, came to America as a young girl. She and her husband lived in Illinois and they moved to NE Kansas around 1860 via steamboat and wagon. Her descendants farmed and taught in the area for 100 years, with many relatives still in the area.
    We also have the handmade wooden trunk they used during this move.