Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana_2009

king sized quilt...how to quilt???

nana_2009
11 years ago

Son's quilt top is done...now the big question is how to quilt it...any suggestions...

Comments (11)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Wow, that's really nice! Love the colors and the pattern.

Are you looking for ideas on quilting patterns, or the mechanics of quilting such a big top?

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Lovely!

Maybe a cross-hatch in the rounds of checkerboard areas?
    Then maybe a running cable in the plain rounds. Check this link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cable quilting pattern

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Lovely!

Maybe a cross-hatch in the rounds of checkerboard areas?
    Then maybe a running cable in the plain rounds. Check this link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cable quilting pattern

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

It's really beautiful. I'm with the above on the cable in the plain rounds. No great ideas to give for the rest.

• nana_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually the cross hatching and the cables were thought of and I think maybe feathered circles in the floral centers and feathered swags on the floral border. This was supposed to be a double irish chain... but someone goofed up and didn't feel like taking it all apart. So I got creative and came up with this. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am also considering sending it out to be machine quilted. I haven't got space to set it up here at the house.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Very pretty quilt. Your son will love it. I'm making a king quilt for our bed, and you can be sure it will be sent to a long-arm quilter. I can't imagine doing a king quilt on a domestic machine. Just thinking of sandwiching a king gives me a headache (and a backache).

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Since picking the quilting pattern is one of my weak areas, I was hesitant to post what I thought, but now I can agree, the cross-hatching in the squares with cabling in the borders was what I thought of, too. Wow, it's huge! Great job.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Sounds like a good plan! Cross hatching in the big floral parts and something softer in the solid color borders; cables, feathers, or vines.

Kate

• lola99
    11 years ago

I agree with Kate. I would be concerned that if you quilt feathered circles and swags in the floral area all of your hard work wouldn't show up very well.

• nana_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lola99...I have to agree with you now that you mention it...what do you think of straight strips the width of the blue squares on the outer floral border???

• lola99
    11 years ago

I think a straight outer border would look good. You could do stripes or a frame around the red and blue frame. I doodled on your quilt with my new app (it was so much fun!) But i cant post my picture until i return home. I should be able to post it from my home computer.

Lola