Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

Retreat ... kinda finished top

littlehelen_gw
10 years ago

Looking for suggestions...
I've assembled the Kay Fassett quilt top I was working on at the retreat...actually it was larger by one row both ways, but it was a bit overpowering, even for my normally colorful tastes!

At this time it's 52 x 38 (small lap - ok for my teenage niece) and I'm hesitant about doing much of a border. I'm thinking of another 1" wide strip (same width as the rest of the white strips) made of the left over Fassett I have, followed by a 2" wide white border and white binding. I think it needs the white as a rest for the eye. Also, I'm wondering about quilting...grid or larger meandering stipple...what to do.... ???

love to hear your ideas ....
V.

Comments (12)

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it's a beautiful quilt. I like the idea of a white border to give the eye a place to rest with the rest of it being so colorful.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Do you have enough of the coloured fabrics to use as binding? I have in the past sewn smaller pieces to create the length I need.
    Theresa

• day2day
    10 years ago

Awesome quilt. I like those colorful fabrics.
    I also like the idea of using scraps of those colors for the binding.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Scrap binding sounds good. Every time I ask an opinion at the quilt shop they tell me "you don't want a light binding, it will show wear and soil."

Love the quilt. Yet another, gotta try that someday idea!
    LindaB/CA

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

Pretty quilt! I would probably use the red or bright pink in the blocks for the binding just to pull those colors out more. The scrap would be pretty, too.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I like it Valarie. A narrow border of blues then a white border sounds nice. I think anything you use for a binding will work.

SharonG/FL-IN

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the ideas! Several good ideas for me to ponder, the red/pink, touch of blue, and the binding, which I do believe I have enough of the fabric to make a binding.
    Thanks again!
    V.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Valarie, I think it's a wonderful quilt. I love the fabrics; they play so well together. I notice one that I used in one of my quilts - the large leaf. I think your idea would work well with either the white or the scrappy binding. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I love it. Good job!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

This turned out great! Love the pattern and the colors. The work you did to match up the trellis points paid off. I agree that anything you do to finish it will look good. A narrow green or pink border, then a slightly wider white, then finish with the scrappy Fassett border - that's the option I like best. For quilting I would use a large meander, outlining just a few of the larger leaves and florals.

Your niece will love it!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

It really needs the small white border, and I agree with a scrappy binding.

For quilting, how about SID around the squares and do a small motif in each block?

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous, she will love it! You haven't been quilting very long and yet you are so accomplished.

Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More ideas...love it,never thought about a SID and w/ some small motifs in the centers ...I'd get to practice FMQ design if I go in that direction...cool!
    Rosa, I'm a lightweight in comparison...but appreciate the comment...
    I'm full of ideas now, I'm leaning to go w/ the white plus something for a border and the srcappy binding...oh dear here I go....
    thanks all...you're the best!
    V.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner