Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

Labor Day labors

littlehelen_gw
9 years ago

Hi,
I've always admired Red Pepper Quilts (RPQ) and wanted to try a checkerboard quilt, bit all those tiny squares were overwhelming to me. I read RPQ's tutorial and made one block....made some more and then put the top together over the weekend. It's not a 100%', got an error amongst the squares, but it was an experiment and will suit my purpose. I'll be ready next time.
I'm doing the Craftsy walking foot tutorial and this will be my trial quilt.

Comments (16)

• jackier123
    9 years ago

Love it!

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Me too! Love it! So pretty and soooooo scrappy!

I'm taking a break from FM quilting before I lose my religion. I've had thread breaking problems all day, grrrrrr. I've changed needles, re-threaded again and again, changed thread holder - maybe I should go back to the original thread holder? I don't know anymore.

:o( Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Looks very nice - wherever the mistake is, it blends right in and not noticeable - I couldn't find it!
    This is a great quilt to use to incorporate the methods from the class. I am enjoying her class, even though my Pfaff doesn't have the walking foot attachment. Have you decided which of her designs you are going to test? I am up to the Lessons on curves and can't wait to try the curves on a quilt. My friend who recommended the class, said the drawback is the stitching is slow and very, very boring. I think slow and boring is good sometimes :).

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Val, it turned out to be lovely and charming. I can see why you couldn't stop once you started! How big is it? Are the little squares 2"???

• nannykins
    9 years ago

That is really a pretty quilt. Love all the colours.

Marsha: if you are following the Craftsy tutorial, how are you adapting it to your Pfaff. I added the guide bar last weekend to space rows properly.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Valarie, it's lovely! I haven't heard of Red Pepper quilts - I will have to check it out.

Teresa, I've been having machine issues, too...plus "operator error" issues LOL. My BabyLock has had something go wrong with it. It started making nests and I opened it up to pick out the threads and clean it, and now it won't sew at all. And I can't get the bobbin out without taking the throat plate off. Must have knocked something out of alignment. At least I have a back-up and was able to keep sewing!

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! The finished squares are 1.25", overall it's 50" square. The next one I make I'll buy a jelly roll or the smaller one, the honey bun' I think that's just 1.50". Too much cutting of white and I think that was my error, along with a turned block...

Marsha, you are farther along than me, I just finished lesson 2. For me, I'll start off with the straight line, .50" apart. I have a Bernina, sooo I'm able to slip right into the class. Good suggestion on the class Marsha...I' ve picked up a few pointers. If I couple these lessons with my Angela waters FMQ book...I may actually learn something... It's that execution thing - brain and hands not in sync...LOL

Sorry to read of the machine troubles...I was there with the niece quilt, turned out it was my needles; the Bernina BSR only wants new needles...excuse me LOL...
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I love your quilt, V. Are you addicted to the little squares yet? :-)

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Will you do straight lines with the walking foot. I'm assuming diagonally./??

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Teresa ~ i haven't adapted anything other than look for my quilting bar and how it attaches! LOL - I've been busy only watch and listening in the morning with coffee. I did look at the presser feet I have & thinking about which one to use. Any suggestions?
    I do have the new Pfaff performance 5.0 that I am not as familiar with as I would like to be.
    Val - look at the curves lesson before you decide which one to use - OMG! The movement it would add to this quilt and it is so very Modern!

• polardream
    9 years ago

Val, Striking quilt! I really like it ... and can't see your mistake.

Sue

• daneyharvey
    9 years ago

It look amazing. quilt is very attractive!

Here is a link that might be useful: Labor Day Deal

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Marsha: I just looked up presser feet for the Pfaff and there is an interesting one called Adjustable Guide foot which looks like it might be just what the Doctor ordered. No idea of price though.
    Theresa

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Sweet! I now have lots of ideas for my thousands of 2 1/2 inch squares I cut this weekend.

beverly

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Val, I love your quilt. It's so crisp and pretty. And I love the Red Pepper Quilt web-site too. What a lot of great ideas for quilts.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra