Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Teresa_nc SBS picture

magothyrivergirl
10 years ago

Okay ---- now you have to make it! You do have the fabrics!!!!!
This favorite SBS you love was quilted by Angela Walters --- all the detail and many blocks are in her photo stream. Click to the left - OMG!!! And the detail on the swag border - easy - of course Angela's quilting makes this quilt very, very special!!!
This is so pretty, without looking cutesy.
Enjoy! This will tempt others too :~)
Obviously..... I am looking and considering.......again.

Here is a link that might be useful: SBS - quilted by Angela Walters

Comments (17)

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Oh the swag border is adorable!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

What an extraordinary quilt! Wow! I was just thinking... Maybe 2 hours each to make 140 blocks, plus sewing the blocks together. Maybe 300 hours before sandwiching and quilting. I don't think it will ever be on my list of To-Do's, but it is certainly wonderful. Kudos to anyone who even attempts it.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks, Marsha!

Almost inspiration overload and the quilting is unbelievable. Alot of the fabrics are 1930's reproductions, but I still plan to use something else, I think. Or maybe I'll change my mind? who knows??

I'm trying to picture a background fabric, something instead of white, a light mottled off white/cream? From looking at the blocks in the link, I think some tone-on-tone, small prints, medium prints, ditzys/dots and some solids would be in the mix of fabrics. Or maybe I'll just get the background, a few new solids and use my stash and scraps for the rest? Now there is a novel idea - NOT buying any fabric, but using what I have.

I saw a blue/white version with a centerpiece of a larger Tree of Life block that was really striking. That's another design element to consider.

Thanks for sending my head spinning!
    Teresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Teresa, is this the one you meant? I really like the medallion too!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Would you all please stop showing more color versions of these quilts!!?? Every time I see a new one, I like it and start rethinking my plan!

I'm currently sharpening colored pencils and almost ready to put them to paper and see what I come up with.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

A center medallion. Hmmm. Maybe if the center were big enough, my 60 blocks can make a whole quilt and I can be done with my SBS.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Here is the blue SBS with the center medallion:

It is a rather busy quilt, IMO, and the vine border is crowding the quilt, but I do like the tree in the center.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I like the Blue and white combo but I don't think the vine suits the quilt. Too distracting. The tree is interesting but I would like it better without the strong white background.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Here is a link to a gallery of "Sylvia" quilts. Lots of inspiration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilts

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

Is this post like an "I dare you" challenge? I have the patterns for SBS and even made several blocks years ago. I put it aside, but after seeing these pictures, I'm thinking it should move up higher on the "to-do" list. Amazing quilting on the Angela Walters quilt!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sorry, SBS will always mean Sun Bonnet Sue to me. LOLOL (ducking and running while most of you cringe)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon I thought that was what she meant too!!! I was so surprised that Kate liked the border on one lol!!!!!!!

I really like the white background quilt, and the quilting is amazing.

I would love to join in, but I have so many projects going. I will be an enthusiastic cheerleader, I love the pics.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Angela Waters' quilting is wonderful. She does a couple Craftsy classes. I have one of her books but haven't done a class.

(SBS = Sue!?!? No way!!!)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Well, I still don't know what an SBS is, and I've been on this forum six years now. If I don't know, I'm sure there are a lot of others who don't. Mind telling us?

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Sylvia's Bridal Sampler - SBS.

(Why am I posting at 3:30am? We're on the camping/quilting trip and the collie decided it was snuggle time. This may work on a king sized bed but on a camper bed, not so well. He literally pushed me out of bed! I'll give him a few minutes of contented dog snoring time, then kick him out and resume my rightful place.)

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

k8, that's hysterical!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Marsha I love the pic of the SBS you posted in the link above. It makes me want to make one with a variety of colors. Thanks for the inspiration.

Best to you,
    Sandra