Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QOTD: When hand-quilting is serger thread ok to use?

Posted by quiltingfox (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 14:15

I am wanting to use multi-colored spools of thread to hand-quilt my next lap quilt. My local Hancock Fabrics store mailed me a sales paper and they have pretty multi-colored 3000 yard spools of serger thread for $4.99 a spool, which is a lot cheaper than $2.75 for 1 spool 325 yards of solid hand-quilting thread. I have never touched or used serger thread. Is it a strong and durable thread? Can it be used to hand-quilt with? If I were to hand-quilt with it does it tangle up on itself easily does it knot up easily when you are trying to pull it through fabric, cause that's something that I would not want to deal with. How does serger thread compare to hand-quilting thread and all-purpose thread? I appreciate your feedback. Also if you do not recommend using serger thread then what brands of multi-colored spools of thread would you recommend for hand-quilting and where online do you buy it from? I unfortunately do not have a Joann's in central Louisiana area.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QOTD: When hand-quilting is serger thread ok to use?

I don't do a lot of hand quilting but I have done a wall hanging and a few minis. Obviously NOT a hand quilting expert, but I think you can use any thread you want as long as you like the way it looks. Finer thread will almost disappear into the fabric but if your batting has some loft the quilting pattern will show. Heavier thread will show up and the stitches become part of the pattern. Try it on a sample and see if you like it.

If the quilt police show up at your house, tell them to go away and come back when they have a warrant!

Kate

o

I would not recomend using serger thread for hand quilting.
It is much finer then quilting thread and is meant to be used with sergers where there are 3-or more threads being used.
It is polyester thread and has fewer fibers then other threads I do believe.

o

I am with Jayne on this one. You put a lot of tension on the thread when hand quilting so breakage is a factor. Serger thread is made to be used with multiple needles so the thread is finer so there is not so much bulk in the seam.

o

I agree with the advice not to using Serger thread for quilting. I know some people piece with it, but it is designed to be used with 3-4-or 5 needles in an overlock stitch.
All thread is not created equal :)

o

Been there, done that. You shouldn't.

Serger thread does not work well for hand sewing, and will be worse for hand quilting. It's not even good for piecing, in my opinion. I can rip out a closely pieced seam with bare hands with serger thread, not that I recommend it, LOL.

It's simply not designed for these uses.

Save yourself the headache, and buy quilting thread.

o

Thank you ladies that is what I was needing to know. Glad I found this out before spending $5. Will stick with hand-quilting thread.

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

o

I don't even use serger thread for piecing. It is rather a whole different animal of thread and I reserve it for use on my serger only.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here