Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Sept. 26-28

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I'm still working on organizing my new sewing room. We went to Ikea on Monday to look at what is available for storage in my room. I made some notes and came home to look at my room again and decide what will work best in there.
DD and I will make the trip again soon to get the pieces I need. I am soooo ready to get organized.
Last Saturday we brought the rest of our things down to the new house. The garage is stuffed. We had just cleared it and now it is full again. Maybe someday things will be normal and the cars will be inside! lol
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (21)

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Linda organizing your sewing room sounds like fun. I love Ikea. Glad your transitioning into your new home is going well. This week I started cutting out fabric for my Scattered Leaves quilt. Today I am finishing hand-sewing all the blocks together for my cousin's baby qullt, ..... hoping to pin baste the layers together this weekend so I can start hand-quilting it. School is out Monday, so will make for a nice 3-day weekend. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. It's been so nice this week in the 50's to 60's at night and mostly 80's during the day..... thankfully we are finally getting some cooler fall weather.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I spent several hours at the Jacksonville quilt show today. So many beautiful, beautiful quilts !

I bought some lovely batiks for my BILs hunter star. The vendor was selling it for $6 a yard if you bought 10 precuts any size. I needed 9 for the.quilt and got 3 for me!ðÂÂÂ

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandra, I can't wait to see your Scattered Leaves quilt. The name sounds great!
    Donna, I love the Hunters Star pattern and batiks will be beautiful. What colors are you using for your quilt?
    Linda OH

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I got a call from my long-armer this week, and she's back in action after shoulder surgery. I have two quilts I'm taking to her tomorrow morning. It's almost October 1, and my husband is anxiously awaiting the completion of his Minky-backed quilt. He's already bugging me to put the flannel sheets on our bed.

When I meet with my long-armer tomorrow, she will bring her thread samples along. I hope to choose the correct color for my Asian quilt. I will quilt that one myself, along with the Beach Ball Baby Quilt.

Other that that, I will be working on Big Red this weekend when I'm not in the garden. I suppose I'd better start cutting down the perennials that are dying back. There's never enough time from summer to winter in Minneapolis. It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow, but by next weekend our highs could be 50.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Yes, Lois, the garden calls. I dug up the glads this week and have them bagged for storage. The veggie garden is almost finished, still some carrots and beets. I bought some tulip bulbs today. Hope to get them planted, maybe tomorrow. Should probably not be doing much of the bending etc. until the tail bone says it is ok.
    Made two little table toppers for my bedside table. Nothing fancy but I HAD to sew something. Now I need a dresser scarf to match.
    Got to get my groove back!
    Good weekend everyone.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Hi LInda, I got the pattern for the Scattered Leaves quilt off of the American Patchwork & Quilting magazine advertisement flyer that I had gotten in the mail a few years back.... I drew the pattern from scratch, but so wish I had a copy of the quilt magazine that the pattern originally was published in. After seeing that flyer in the mail that's what prompted me to start buying their magazine. I am just starting to cut fabric for the leaves this week, though the neutral fabric for the leaf part of the block, my sister is suppose to be shopping for it for me at Joanns near her house in Texas during the next couple of weeks..... I wish I had a Joann's in central Louisiana, but sadly the closest Joann's are in Shreveport that's over 2 hours one way from my house and then there is a store in Layfayette, but that is close to a hour and 45 minute drive one way that's just too far to drive. I and whole lot of other local shoppers wish we had a Joanns store in Alexandria, Louisiana. The leaf though is cornered 2 sides with 2.5" wide log cabin strips in mostly autumn tones completing a 12" block. I am wanting this quilt to be queen size so will be making 64 blocks for it. I just like how this quilt is comprised of really pretty colors and is kind of scrappy looking, hoping with such a variety of colors that I will not get bored working on it.... I plan to piece it by hand and work mostly from my stash. I am just excited to be starting a new quilt, a new project.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I hope to get to quilt some Sunday. We are having a cookout for some coworkers of my husband tomorrow. The only sewing that I have done this week is making corn bags for my husband's cornhole boards.

Jackie

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Went to a quilt show yesterday, the kind that is all vendors selling stuff. Love that. Bought a few things and found a pattern for my next applique project, a Xmas hanging. Have to work tomorrow so that gives me the time to transfer the pattern and make the paper pieces. It's a desk job with nothing to do and I try to always have a project to take along.

My weekend will continue to be fabric shopping, cutting and packing projects for retreat. I can't seem to stop. I know I can only sew so much but I can't make up my mind so I'm taking it ALL. And stopping at Mary Jo's only makes it worse. What a problem to have!

• polardream
    9 years ago

No quilting for me. My sewing machine is loaded in the RV, along with my projects for Camp Cheerio Retreat. I think flying might actually be easier - I really have more than I will ever complete! We leave at 8 am tomorrow so the machine won't see daylight until camp!

We are stopping at Mary Jo's (and any other quilt shops I spot along the way!) before we get to camp so I can add to the huge amount I am already taking.

Have fun everyone. I will blog the trip so you can see what Non-quilty things we are up to!

Sue

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Sue & Linda,

Now you know what us 'drivers to camp' go through!! "There's still room in the car, so that means we must take more stuff!" lol

I am working on the quilt frame to quilt something before retreat. And I'm starting to make piles of stuff for retreat as well.

But mostly I'll be putting up 160 lbs of apples...making applesauce, pie filling, and dehydrated cinnamon apples. Busy busy busy.

Also enjoying the house with no kids! DS is off camping, so I shipped the 3 girls off to grandma's house so DH & I can enjoy a quiet weekend to celebrate our 15th anniversary which is next Thursday!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Worked yesterday, had to stay LATE. Worked today, and playing with the grands and watching Auburn Football. Tomorrow I hope to get the trail run quilt trimmed and bound, and maybe get some packing for the retreat done. (that counts, doesn't it?)

beverly

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

This afternoon I finished sewing the blocks together for my cousin's butterfly baby quilt. Hoping to sandwich the layers together by pin basting either tomorrow or Monday.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Linda, these are my Hunter Star fabrics. It's been on my to-do list for a long time! I can already tell after 8 blocks that it will now be on my "done that, won't do it again list." I'll just have to admire ones made by others. :)

Jenn, happy anniversary! Enjoy your weekend!

Donna

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I forgot to say - this is the batik that I got for me :) - 3 yards! Maybe it will be the start of my Bella, Bella quilt.

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Happy anniversary Jen...enjoy your time together!

Donna, your hunters star is Beautiful...love the fabric combo. That batik is really nice as well.

No sewing, but does fabric panting on quilting fabric count? Boy that was fun! Picked up some leaves from outside that were veiny, use a special water base paint on the backside of the leaves, lay them out on the fabric, press lightly, remove leaves and cool stuff! Hope to use for the center of some future blocks or perhaps a bag, or maybe quilted pillows, or , or...
    V.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

V, your leaves sound great! I'd love to see pictures.

Donna

• bev2009
    9 years ago

The hunger's star is so pretty. I feel the same way about a Grandma's garden I started. It will never be a bed quilt but something smaller. I'll quit when I get really tired of it.

I'm all packed for our trip to Florida, so I am heading up to sew on the depression blocks while DH watches football.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I do like your hunters star fabrics. Will be a smashing quilt.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Donna, The leaves...

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Wow, Donna, perfect piecing as usual!

I've spent most of the week trying to repair one of my machines... The needle was grazing the hook and I nearly took it to the dealer.... turned out that the Organ needles were defective... I went back to Schmetz and everything was perfect ... just wish I'd realized that before I printed the 200 page service manual and took the thing apart... it's all back together now and working perfectly and I didn't have to drive an hour to the Brother dealer (good thing, they have just come out with a new series of very tempting models!).

Working on a practice mini chevron quilt... matching the points is challenging... but it is a great feeling on the rare occasion they match perfectly on the first try!

Have a great rest of the weekend :)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Sounds like a good, productive weekend for many!

Donna, I'm glad you got to the Jax show but sorry we didn't have a chance to meet up! I tried emailing you but must have an old email because they bounced back to me. When you get a chance, send me your email. You can reach me at k8quilts at gmail

Kate