Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

9 Patch Pizzazz - Pics & discussions

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

Rosa - I don't know where I posted the pictures either :)

so, I started a new thread for pictures and discussions if anyone else is interested. I stated cutting another one out.

Sharon has also posted pictures of hers in Sept goals, maybe she'll add them here, and Kate is starting one.

There are so many variations, it is hard to make decisions on how to proceed, because they all look good! Maybe we can help each other :)

My 9 Patch Pizzazz top:

Here is a link that might be useful: Book

Comments (34)

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I have that book as well and keep looking through it saying I need to make one of the quilts! I love the concept. Thanks for reminding me to put that on my to-do list!
    Jeanne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Here's mine without the borders....still thinking about it.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Here's the lap quilt I made last year using the 9 Patch Pizzazz pattern. It doesn't have the blending effect that the original intended but it was a good way to use the fabrics I wanted for this quilt. This was the retirement gift for our CEO and I wanted it to be a combination of the button-down oxford cloth of his business shirts and the Hawaiian prints of his new retirement life. Even tho it doesn't blend from one print to another, I like the balance and don't think I could have gotten that same balance without the 9PP idea.

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhh pretty quilts!!!
    Thanks for the link Marsha. The book is available for Kindle. My sis is aways trying to get me to buy one, she loves hers, but the flat screens hurt my eyes.
    However, if they have quilt books available for download!
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosa, I have an iPad, and I really thought hard about downloading the book.....in the end, I ordered the hard copy - I like my books :)....but I am seeing more books available as e-books for quilting.

Sharon - I still like yours :) can't wait until you add the border.

Kate - Is this the quilt with the RV print backing? The basic concept of this method is the large focus fabric is carried & supported by the movement of the 9-Patches - so yours works!!!

Jeanne - think about it for the Retreat - Fast, Fun and finished in a Day!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I really don't think I'd want a quilt pattern/book on my Kindle. Just isn't the same.....at least to me.

Kate, Your 9PP is balanced and uses those various fabrics perfectly!

I'm pretty sure I've decided on the borders....just don't know when I'll be able to work on them.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I thought I already posted a response to the question but it's not here so I either didn't hit 'submit' last night or I posted it somewhere else! (Too much wine with dinner???)

Yes, this is the quilt with the RV print backing. It ended up being one of my favorite quilts ever and I'm eager to get started on the next 9PP. This new one will be more blendy with a cut up panel, and some black/white prints. Not sure yet that it's going to work!

I didn't use a pattern and don't have the book. I just looked at the pictures on-line of 9PP quilts and started by placing the large blocks. Then I added in the 6" squares and then the 9patches. It worked.

Kate

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Really like this technique! Just what I needed, another quilt type I want to make and I am a 9-patch devotee. Thank you all very much.....

Teresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I agree Teresa lol!!!!!
    I am the same way about the books and I would prob end up printing it out anyway.
    But the upside is it is instant and cheaper.
    I have a stack (higher than 12"s) of 9 patches I have made as enders.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I really want to make a Blooming 9 Patch! I have the pattern and it is awesomely easy!

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Sharon, I like the Blooming 9 P as well. Will be looking forward to seeing some results. Reminds me of watercolors quilts..

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

if you guys don't stop posting about new patterns, books and quilts I am going to have to leave this forum!!! I will NEVER get to the end of my "to-do" list if you keep making me add to it.....LOL... you enablers you!
    As a matter of fact, this reminded me that I have the book 9-Patch Pizzazz, bought a couple of years ago. Guess I will have to get it out and read it again...pick out fabric, no wait, I think I bought fabric for this pattern a large print...oh man...see what you have done.
    well where do I find the "Blooming 9-Patch pattern? Another book???
    As Teresa said....Thank you very much :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

LOLOLOL.....The Blooming 9-Patch is in the book Tradition With a Twist but I would never have bought the book if I had only seen a picture of the quilt in the book. I bought mine used from Amazon.

You can see in these pictures you start with 3 squares in the center then a round of 9 patches then a round of squares, etc.....all on point. Once you get the concept, you're good to go. Fun? @:)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Sharon, I love them. I can see it would be fun and not too hard to do. Did I see a few solid blocks mixed in with the 9 patches?
    Might be a fun challenge to see what others might come up with. TFS

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sharon, that Blooming 9 patch looks fun and easy. Best of all, I think you could combine almost any fabrics to make a pretty quilt.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Yes, Jayne, 9-patch, solid, 9-patch, solid (or TOT).

Kate, I think the most difficult part of this is getting the fabric together. @:)

Someday I'll do this.....

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I'm with Murphy, I'm never going to get through my to-do-list looking at all there beautiful quilts!! It's always amazes me that such a simple pattern can produce so many variations and looks.

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I like the Blooming 9 patch too!!! AND I want to make a floral Log Cabin.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I think I have all - or at least most - of the blocks for my 9PP. It's a bit smaller than I initially planned but it looks balanced to me and I don't want to ruin that, so I think I'll just add an extra border or two across the top and bottom to add length. The width is good. A couple small borders around the whole thing and it will be just right.

Pictures? Oh no! Not until I get the top put together because I could still change they layout 5 times before I start sewing!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I know all about changing the layout, Kate! lol

I have 2 borders on the sides of mine, now to make sure the top and bottom meld. @:)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Changing the layout ---that's why you can not finish this in a day! Who can decide in one look? Even my DH was making suggestions.....honey, please....only give advice when I ask your opinion.....so Kate, hurry and decide the layout and stitch it while your DH is gone :)

I love the Blooming 9P. I can see more 9 Patches in my future!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Why do the borders seem to hang us up so much lol?? I am finished with the 'cats' applique top and I can't decide on borders. I am thinking of the same fabric as the background and applique paw prints, but I keep changing my mind.

Marsh my DH has no interest in my quilting, but he does encourage my hobby (tolerate lol)and anything he finds out quilting related he tells me about. Well I guess that is showing SOME interest!!

Looking forward to seeing pics!!
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I took Marsha's advice and put off the painting today in order to get this quilt top done! The finished size is 52"w X 70"h. The backing will be a deep blue minky, same shade as the lower part of the Fuji volcano. I'll use a thin flannel for minimal batting.

Thanks again for re-awakening my interest in the 9PP. I do love it and think it's one of the most fun patterns to use. I hope you all like the way this turned out. I used an Oriental panel as the focus fabric, plus 2 greens, a blue and a couple scraps of a black fabric with a music theme. My nephew is a cellist and just starting his first year of college this month. We found out last week that the advisor he was assigned is the cellist he was most hoping to study with so we're all very excited for him!

The quilt wasn't quite long enough for a tall 18 year old so after I did the black/white stripe border, I added top and bottom borders to extend it. I thought it was a fairly creative use of left over scraps and some of the black Kona I keep on hand!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, You are richly blessed with a creative eye! It looks wonderful!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Nicely done. Love the fabric choices. They work so well together. I am impressed with the extentions as they t
    ruly belong to the quilt. Good job. TFS
    PS. Congratulations to you nephew. Sounds like things are going his way.

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love it!!! You did a remarkable job! Your fabric choices are perfect for that panel. You can see how the 9 patches lead the eye. 9 patches don't get enough credit. I am going to try to use them more.
    I really like how you made it longer - very nice border design. Good solution- I think I just may steal it!

Your talented nephew will certainly see & appreciate the creativity in this quilt. He will love it - I'm sure.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Finally got the borders on.....it ended up being 49" x 61" and is officially a UFO. I contemplated putting the side borders on the length of the fabric but I didn't have very much and it would have had to be pieced. I could have made it work if my mind hadn't been so foggy. Oh well, there it is. @:)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I like it even more with the border! And the dark border frames it all, making it really pop!

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like it alot with the dark inner border!! It anchors the bus-i-ness of the 9 Patches and ties it altogether.

Sharon - would you make another?

I am making another now....except I don't have a big enough chunk of time to get a large part done in one session...so I have to regroup my brain (more than usual :)to pick up where a I left off. I also spend too much time rearranging.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Sure, I would do another one, but don't know that I will, but maybe. I think my next one will be a Blooming 9-Patch...however, I have to complete a UFO before I start anything new. @:)

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, that is gorgeous and I love the borders! I woke up to a lot of smoke out side and my sinus headache just refuses to go away.

Foggy doesn't even begin to descibe me lol!!!! No energy and can't even think with blood shot eyes.

But, your quilt still looks beautiful thru foggy eyes lol!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Thank you, Rosa. We were told our hazy air and smell of smoke is coming from your area. Can't imagine what you're going through!. Sorry you're eyes are foggy, too. Maybe an ice pack on your eyes might help.?????

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    10 months ago

Thanks for posting this, Sharon. I don't remember ever seeing the 9-Patch Pizzazz pattern before. I have a bunch of Asian fabrics from the one-block wonder I made years ago, and they might work really well for this pattern, so I ordered the book.