Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Sept. 20-22

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I am starting this thread early because my kids are all coming home for the weekend. DD & her DH will arrive tonight and son & family will arrive tomorrow. We are planning to go the Ft. Wayne Children's Zoo on Saturday. Eli is 18 months and will enjoy the animals.
I have been working on the 3 quilts I am making for the babies for Christmas. I have all the blocks made and just need to assemble the tops. (I have one completed and the second needs the border.)
I do not expect to get any sewing done till next week.
Are you quilting or sewing this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (22)

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

It should be a fun weekend for you even though you're not quilting... probably busy, but definitely fun!

I took my Nina to the shop yesterday and told them the thread cutter that they just fixed was acting up again and my needles were getting dull after about 5 stitches.... the guy looked at it right on the spot and made an adjustment to the needle clearance and said that should fix the problem... it seems ok for now. They were really sweet and even gave me a pack of free needles. I was ready for a fight because I thought they'd try to keep the machine for weeks and possibly charge me all over again, but they didn't.... they even remembered my name and what machine I had and that made me feel good.... so I plan to quilt on Sunday and really test the machine to make sure it's perfect. I've got an embroidery project plus I'm working on a puff quilt and an Irish chain, so I will be busy...

I see Joanns is running two 40 percent off coupons on any regular priced item on their mobile app, so I'm going to try to resist temptation and not go notion shopping (notions are more fun than fabric to me)... my trunk is still full of my grandmothers fabric and I need to organize it and figure out where in the world I'm going to put it all.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I am hoping to get some sewing done this weekend. I want to finish a quilt I started at Retreat - that's the primary goal. I also want to go through some projects and make notes on what I need for them because next weekend I'll be at the Jacksonville quilt show! Besides quilts, I know there will be lots of vendors.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh Linda...........it seems like you just asked that question. I had to look at the date of the thread just to make sure it was new. I have actually spent some time in the sewing room and (knocking on wood) making good progress on my only quilt in the works. That, in itself, is a miracle. No UFOs. I am doing this one in three panels and it'll end up large enough to have adequate falls on a double bed to use as a spread. I have two panels done and shall sandwich the third later tonight, if I am inspired. It's been plain scary. The FMQ foot has been behaved and it just zips through the fabric. No fouled threads, no tension adjustments, no wild variances in stitch lengths. Just changing bobbins as needed. Doing a tight meander since it's elcheapo batting, I especially like for those quilts on which I don't want a deep fill. Seems like the more expensive the batting, the wider they 'allow' you to make your quilting. Vee hit the jackpot on the fabric choices for this one. They all play well together, and the more I look at it the more I like it, and I loved it when I first picked out the fabric.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I worked a little today assembling the top for my parent's quilt. It's rainy here in Louisiana lately, great for sleeping in and curling up with a good book and hearing the patter of the rain. It's suppose to cool off to high of 86*F and a low of 66*F on Tuesday, so yay some cooler weather, but :-( will be back in the 90's by end of next week. I am so ready for some cold weather so I can get some weeding and pruning done in my garden without having to be on the lookout for poisonous snakes. This is the first year I will be harvesting seeds off of my 2 Rose of Sharon bushes so am excited about that and plan to wintersow some in December. I am finishing up my last load of laundry so my weekend will be free to do what I want to do. :-) Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Got to use my new Fun Quilter today! Quilted one of the Trail Run quilts (5 to go). There were a few bobbin tension problems, but got those fixed and now she runs like a top. Have the next one ready to go and may start on it tonight since I don't have the grands. At this rate I will have them done by the end of the week!

beverly

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I worked on the puff quilt today, using only fabric I got from my grandmothers house... and that awesome lamp she had! Fun day to be sure!

And the machine is working perfectly, knock on wood!

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 21:54

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

That lamp totally rocks!!!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Well I am going to give a try at sewing on Sunday afternoon....had a rotary cutter accident this week, it came in contact with the side of my pointer finger and well... My finger lost...yee gads it smarted. No stitches for various reasons, but computer work, sewing, general daily chores has been a challenge. On the plus side, if there is one, the fabric cut was finished :-).
    My lesson learned ...put my sew toys away when I am tired; also I'm ordering a glove. My finger can't take another incident!
    Happy and Safe sewing !
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Ouch!! Valerie! Make sure to take care of it and keep it clean...don't want infection setting in. Were you using the rotary cutter or was it laying on the table? A little pet peeve of mine...laying down a cutter without closing it. Guess it comes from so many years of having little ones around. I always, always, always close my cutter. Hope it heals quickly!

I happen to have a weekend with no plans. So it'd be nice to say I could quilt... we'll see. I do know that I have to rip out a 34" double sided zipper from DH's snowmobile suit and put in a new one. It's not a fun job (I've already done the other side), but it's been cold enough the last few mornings that he'd like to have it for his motorcycle ride to work... Not looking forward to the job.

Maybe I can get borders on my braid quilt :/

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I got some quilting in on Friday night. I have 2 1/2 of the 5 panels finished on Blowing in the Wind. I hope to spend some time this weekend on it.

I sent my aunt and uncle's quilt to them this week. They loved it. I was so happy with the reception it received. I wish I could have seen their reaction, but who knows how long it will be before we see each other again. This way, they can enjoy it this winter.

I've been mulling over ideas for the August lotto blocks that I won. I need to audition some colors for sashing and borders. That's about it for quilting this weekend.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I actually managed to do a little applique at my desk job today. What a relief to sew again. It will begin the center motif for a quilt for my mother.

I still have the sling on the arm and am getting tired of being handicapped. My hubby is, too. My husband says there's nothing as mean as a quilter with only one good arm.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Val, take care of that finger. And it is good the cut was finished.

Jen, I hate alterations/repairs. But he will need it soon, it's getting cool at night now.

You will be back in no time Linda. Hubby will survive.

I finished another Trail Run quilt today. Two down, four to go. Had some issues with the stitch regulator and will make a video and send to Steve so he can make recommendations.

beverly

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

I am still plugging away on my quilt show entries....our guild show is less than 2 weeks away now. I have 2 of the entries done except for a label and sleeve. The last one is only 24"x24" and it just needs the outside border hand quilted and then binding and label. I am the door prize convenor so have to organize the prizes and make up some baskets combining some of the smaller items.

Have a safe and happy weekend everyone!

maryv

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Valerie, I've gotten myself a few times with the rotary cutter too, so I know how you feel (though the ruler usually gets the brunt of my clumsiness!) Hope it heals soon! This quilting thing is dangerous... I burned myself with the vintage travel iron yesterday!

Glad everyone is staying busy... I've been piecing like a mad man until the wee hours of the morning. I'm still working on the puff quilt... I'm watching Law and Order SVU while I cut and pin and that helps the time go faster. It's really quite pleasant and makes the fun part (sewing) seem to come more quickly. Tonight, for the first time, I decided to listen to music while sewing... I sewed about 20 squares with no bobbin thread! When I don't have headphones in, I can hear when the bobbin runs out because the machine sounds different, but when I've got music going I'm stitching in ignorant bliss. I've noticed that the faster the song is that comes on, the faster I sew! I caught myself flooring the pedal without even realizing it!

I also accidentally left the vintage travel iron plugged in all day and went merrily off to work... I could have burned down an entire apartment complex because the vintage travel iron doesn't have auto off... and it's vintage! But, I did turn it off, so all is well for now. I need to stop using it!

Of course we all know the fastest way to call a cat is to lay out unsewn quilt squares... it works better than a can of tuna!

• calliope
    10 years ago

I just had to smile at your post. I too have left irons on, and I have never owned an iron with auto shut-off. I particularly worry about leaving the big mangle on. It gets terribly hot, over a very large surface. The sewing room is off the bedroom,and the mate retires first. I always ask him to check to see if I've left an iron on when he goes upstairs. I don't think he's ever had to unplug one, but that's just the luck of the draw. I've had to peel my cat off my quilt sandwiches. I don't dare lay them on the floor to pin or baste and leave the room. I find him rolled up into them like a jelly roll.

• susan_on
    10 years ago

I'm happily working away on a baby quilt for my nephew and his wife. Will soon be seeking some advice!

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I'm trying to get something done. Here it is Sunday afternoon, and I've barely turned on the machine!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend :-)

Robbi

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I actually started cutting fabrics for a GS wedding quilt. I have had the fabric for at least a year and tried a couple of patterns which I rejected after a block or two. I have finally settled on the pattern and today being a quiet day, gave me a chance to start. No rush for it though, so I can take my time.
    Theresa

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm about 70% done with the FMQ of the QIP. Most of which was the result of work this weekend. Even stole away a bit this morning to work on it. It's been a very productive weekend. I started yesterday to sort through some fabric for a baby quilt for a young expectant couple at my husband's church. Those kids are so like I was at their age, in love and living on a shoestring, and you just want to do something special for them. I remembered I had made a baby quilt up last winter because I had a whole series of coordinating fabric I used in a large quilt and figured the pattern and fabric was already there.....sorted and coordinated and I had a large nursery panel for the back to make it reversible. I'm used to doing large quilts, so it was a fun and quick project. Oh how nice to just go rescue it from my finished quilt stash and wrap it. I think this winter, instead of tying in to another big project I may make several baby quilts to keep on hand. There are always babies coming along doncha know.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Just got back from a long weekend quilters' retreat with my round robin group. We got three quilts sandwiched and pinned, including a baby quit of mine. I also made some more Disappearing 4-patch blocks and worked on my Swapper's Star blocks in blue and white.

It was cool and cloudy, rainy and foggy in the NC mountains up at Beech Mt. - so we were "forced" to stay inside and quilt. I did get to sit out on the deck this afternoon and read a little.

We gave a baby quilt to our handyman Matt who meets us at the house to carry our machines, bags of fabric, cooler of food, grocery bags, etc. up the stairs to the main living level of the house. He and his lovely wife are expecting a baby very soon. We did a Disappearing 4-patch in a bear print with alternate bright yellow polka dot squares.

We saw deer, a chipmunk, chickadees, gold finches and one big humongous crow - but no bears like we saw this past Memorial Day.

Teresa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Bobby love the lamp. I have 2 rows left to hand-sew together for my parents' quilt top and then I will be working on the borders. Since the pattern is a little busy I am wanting to use solid forest green for the border sides, but am undecided what I want to do in the corners of the quilt which will be 6" x 6". I did cut out cloth bookmarks to this week which I need to iron together and then laminate later for family gifts. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, I spent time off and on all weekend ripping out a huge zipper and starting to get the new one put back in. When, after multiple distractions, I realized I'd cut the wrong end of the zipper off and had to rip out what I'd done and start all over again with a new zipper! I stormed away from the darn thing and didn't look back!

Only, now that I've slept on it, I don't think I did it wrong. I think I can actually finish it just like it is... grrrr, I hate zippers~

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz