Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

September, 2013 Quilting/Sewing Thoughts

I'm having to go with thoughts this month since I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do. I finally have glasses. They work pretty well for sewing, watching TV and for far vision. Laptop and reading is better without them. I think I'm ready to just live with it for awhile and see what happens. Have had some dental work done and will have more done toward the end of the month. We are taking a trip to Indiana to visit family this month, too.

I finally got the Crumb Colors sewn together and am putting it away for now. It's 56X66 so it's already bigger than what I normally make, but not sure if it needs a border or not. I'll post a picture later. I have another red, white and blue started...top is almost done. Guess that will be my goal this month....sewing the rest of the blocks together. I also have fabric cut for pillowcases and ready to sew.

Those of you with gardens are probably getting close to the end of it and canning and freezing your bounty......good eating come winter. :-)

Those of you preparing for the retreat have already made your Sept plans.......at least some of them. lol Let's hear what y'all have in mind for this month.

SharonG/FL

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sharon, I'm glad you got your glasses and are seeing well. Have a good trip! Maybe IN will be a bit cooler than FL. :)

We leave in the wee hours of the morning on the 13th for our cruise, and won't be back till the wee hours of the 24th. So for now I'm in getting ready for vacation mode, and afterwards I'll be in recovering from vacation mode! LOL. That will a take up most of Sept for me.

That said, I am working on putting together a few tops for donation quilts, using swap blocks from earlier this year. That will probably be all the sewing that will happen this month!

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I'm glad you are seeing better with your new glasses. Have a safe and fun trip to IN. How long will you be "up north"?
    I have some ideas of things I want to make for the family for Christmas. Our new grand daughter will arrive in December and I am working on an embroidered quilt for her. I have to embroider the last border and then finish the quilt. We are also expecting another grand baby in March and I want to make baby quilts for all 3 babies for Christmas.
    DH is having total knee replacement on his left leg on Sept. 30.
    He had the right knee done a year ago. I'm not looking forward to that but will be glad when he is without knee pain.
    Sharon, have a good time with your family.
    Linda OH

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

SEWING! SEWING! SEWING! SEWING!!!!

At least for 4 days this month, I'll be sewing! I'm contemplating a full weekend of no sleep...quilting through the night! It may be my only time all Fall to quilt/sew.

I'm hoping to get 6 burp cloths made from flannel done, another 8 embroidered, and have some onesies to embroider as well. (I have a wee grandson coming to us in late January!)

I have 7 quilt kits to work on at retreat, as well as other projects. Hope to bust out a bunch of those.

After retreat, my sewing room will probably be collecting dust. When I get back, I have to make plans for my 5&6 year old girl scouts...I've taken on leadership so that I have a place to put Amanda. That & Cynthia's girl scout projects will keep us busy. Then there's schooling that needs to start when I get back too.

I might see my sewing room again in January! LOL

Sharon, glad things are getting better for you. Enjoy your trip north!!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon glad your new glasses are working out well for you. This month I want to hand-sew all 100 Card Tricks blocks together along with a 6 inch border for my parents' quilt top. Yesterday I got 1 individual row sewn and then today I got 3 more rows sewn. Think I am going to go curl up with a good book now.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indiana is indeed colder than Florida! I've been in a sweatshirt non-stop! I have an update from Katie but didn't know where to put it. I thought I had a thread for her but couldn't find it. So, here it is:

Faith on Fire: Support for the Stolze Family
    Ok, so I'm going to try and make this as short as possible! Doc says everything looks great. Tumor is stable. The spot they were watching is gone! The live cells are thinner and lighter. Things are looking so good we don't have to go back until January!! Evidently there are only 18 tumors like mine in the place mine is in, in the world. They are very happy with how my treatment is going!! Also found out I'm a candidate for the gamaknife if needed in the future. Just good to know. Keeping with same treatment for now. Phew. I think that's it. Thank you God and thank you for all your prayers. God hears them and is answering them in ways I never would have imagined!! Now, getting home to my boys!!!

Thank you everyone for keeping her in your prayers.

Saw my niece and some neighbors from 48 years ago in Battle Creek MI on Monday. Planning to see my brother tomorrow and hopefully my sister on Sunday. Jaycie's favorites words are: "No" and "I don't want to" ... she'll be 3 on Sunday.....where has the time gone. :-)

SharonG/FL-IN

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear the news is so good!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sharon, that is great news! Are you still in Indiana? We are stuck at the San Diego airport till our 10:30 pm flight. The weather is sunny and hot here but most of our cruise down the CA coast was cold enough to need a sweatshirt. Yesterday in San Diego was the first day I wore shirts!

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon...,prayers seems to be working...nice to read the good news!

Donna: really...that was the first day you wore a shirt :-) must have been some kind of cruise! Hope you enjoyed it!

V.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Oops, I think I was the victim of iPad editing! LOL. I meant shorts. Hehehehe.
    Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arrived home last night. Somewhere along the line I lost the thingy that connects my laptop to the charger so am having to use the desktop that is all set up for DH's specifications. Can't even get to my email. oh well, I didn't have it for almost 60 years, so guess it won't hurt me to do without it for a few hours. Crazy how we've come to rely on what the computer can do for us. But, love how I can communicate and keep up with family and friends.

Yeah, Donna, I was wondering what kind of cruise you were on. LOL

Katie has ups and downs, as you might expect, but for the most part, she's on a positive roll and appreciates every prayer and every day she has with her boys.

SharonG/FL