Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

What do you do for bleeding?

loisflan
9 years ago

Even though I had washed all the fabrics in my Baby Honu quilt, one of the very dark blue/green batiks bled into the yellow. It's not terrible, but I'd like to try to clean it up if possible. Is there a product or process you recommend?

Comments (8)

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Do not put it into the dryer until the bleeding stops. The heat sets the dye. I am a prewasher & it makes me crazy when this happens!
    Wash again, using a mild detergent (I like Dreft). If you have a HE washer, use the extra rinse cycle (cold water) and use about 5 Color Catchers.
    Hopefully it is fugitive dyes that landed on the other parts of the quilt and will now land on the Color Catchers.
    Do not let the wet quilt lay on itself. Take it out of the washer immediately.
    Hope this works!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Had to look at that twice, sure glad it was the fabric and not you. Yup, that usually works for me. I pre-wash, too, but it still happens sometimes (especially with darker colors)

beverly

This post was edited by grammyp on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 16:43

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I, of course, didn't notice the bleeding until I had taken the quilt out of the dryer. The dark seam allowances always show through the light colors when the quilt is wet. I dried it on the gentle cycle which really doesn't get hot, and I took it out damp. I'll try washing it again. What do you think of spraying the affected areas with a pre-spotter like Resolve? I guess next time I'll be more careful with those highly saturated color batiks.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

First glance, I thought you had cut yourself and were bleeding. Probably easier to remedy than the quilt. Hope it clears up.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I would not use Resolve -- wash it again as soon as you get a chance using the Color Catchers -- it is likely fugitive dyes and will be loose in the water again and land on the Color Catchers. I also tumble dry with the Color Catchers.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Whew! I happened to see the subject over there on the side and thought OMG! LOL! Anyways, glad it's just the fabric. Yes I agree with the color catchers. I wouldn't use anything else though.

• true4uca
    9 years ago

Just read this tip on another site.
    To Stop Colors Running
    Mix using a 2 cup container
    2 Tbsp. salt
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 Tbsp. any dertergent
    Add to washer with one color catcher (optional), and wash as usual.

• true4uca
    9 years ago

Just read this tip on another site.
    To Stop Colors Running
    Mix using a 2 cup container
    2 Tbsp. salt
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 Tbsp. any dertergent
    Add to washer with one color catcher (optional), and wash as usual.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm