Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Quilts...a hazard to your health

nannykins
9 years ago

Yesterday I had big plans to do some sewing but first I had to wash two quilts. Rather than pick them up and carry, I just booted them down the stairs. When I got near the bottom, I wanted to step over them and then pick them up. Whoops, slipped on a quilt, missed the step and went flying. I tried to do the "get your balance dance" but failed. Landed not on the nice fleshy part of my bottom, of which there is much, but on the tailbone, then hit my head on the wall. Somehow twisted my foot, so today it is a shuffle, shuffle walk and very gingerly sitting down.
So I think the sewing will have to wait a bit.
Watch out for those killer quilts.
Theresa

Comments (11)

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Wow that sounds awful. Did you get checked out? Even though the rest hurts more, head bumps can be dangerous.
    Sorry you are hurting.
    LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Oh, Theresa, that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. Don't you just hate it when you do stupid things and end up getting hurt? Maybe we need a committee to study concussions in quilters. I never thought of it as a dangerous hobby, but you've got me rethinking it. Take care and rest. Lois

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, dear, Theresa! I hope you are feeling better soon.

I read an article a few years ago where the author suggested getting some exercise in with your quilting hobby by putting the rotary cutter mat on top of the fridge - that way you had to climb up a step ladder to use it. That sounded like the dumbest Idea ever! Especially with a sharp tool in your hand!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Oh my, Theresa! So sorry that happened to you but if your dance was anything like what I visualized when reading your post, it was a doozy! Take care of yourself, lady.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Ooohh my....that sounded like a doozy of a fall
    ...do take care! I can only imagine how that must have hurt....ice and ibuprofen to the rescue!

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Oh Theresa - I hurt just reading........take it easy and rest.
    I hope you have a good book to read while you recover.
    Hugs!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

:( not a nice story...hope you recover VERY quickly.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Oh Theresa! I am so sorry about your tumble - I know that rotary cutters can be dangerous, but I never thought of tripping on a quilt and tumbling down the stairs. I hope you are okay!

Sue

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I, too hope you were checked out and have a quick recovery.

beverly

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Oh, Theresa, I'm so sorry for you - but I'm afraid I have to admonish you for blaming it on quilting. It's the doing the laundry's fault. If we have to blame something, blame it on laundry. I hate doing laundry so it would make me happy to blame it. Let's all blame it on doing the laundry.

• nannykins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your good thoughts. Did not do too much yesterday and today's plan is for more of the same.
    Sharon, I wish I had a video of the dance because it seems I hit my knees as well and I don't remember that part.
    Good book by Jodi Picoult called Mercy. Half way finished.
    Will also watch some YouTube quilt videos. There is always more to learn.
    Stay safe everyone!
    Theresa