Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Sept. 13-15

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

Another week flew by...and I got my quilting mojo back! I started working on three quilts from one jelly roll and two panels. I have two of them completely cut out and have started sewing on all three. I enjoy working with these bright and happy fabrics.
My weekend plans are to work on these three quilts. They will be Christmas gifts for the 2 grands and the third grand expected in March.
Are you sewing or quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Oink-a-doodle-moo quilts

Comments (24)

• susan_on
    10 years ago

Yes! I've been AWOL for a while because of my daughter's wedding. She got married last weekend, and today I'm recuperated enough to start cutting strips for an owl quilt for my nephew and niece-in-law's baby. So happy to be doing this... although I'll be using techniques that are new to me. That's part of the fun, but I just want it to turn out nicely for the parents.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Yes, my husband's in a golf tournament, so I hope to have some alone time to quilt. I'd like to work on my daughter's Blowing in the Wind quilt. I also need to pack up and send my uncle and aunt's quilt to them. I just found out that we have a new grandchild on the way, so it looks like there's another baby quilt in my future.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Lois

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Linda: congratulations on the new grand!
    Lois: looking forward to seeing the blowing in the wind finished quilt,really like what I've seen thus far

I hope to finish the sewing of a top I started while at retreat, I'm about 2/3rds finished...it's modeled after the parisville quilt on fresh lemons site....loving it so far.
    V.

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Congratulations on expected .Grands!!

I spent most of the day at a fall fair hand quilting. Our guild has a table to sell raffle tickets and promote our upcoming show. Today was education day and there were hundreds of school aged children. They were very well behaved and very interested in what we were doing.
    I will be finishing the hand work on binding on 2 quilts and finishing the hand quilting on a wallhanging. They are all going into our show Oct 4th and 5th so need to keep working on them.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

Maryv

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I might peice a little bit.... Tomorrow I'm going to go get the rest of my granmothers fabric; the relative who told me they found more when cleaning out her house told me to bring a U-haul, so who knows what I'm going to be bringing home!

I've not been sewing during the week because I restarted my second job so I can afford Bernina accessories LOL).

I've been playing with digitizing a little bit, but all the free programs are awful and the good ones are 2000 dollars! Yikes....

Apparently, getting an embroidery machine automatically elects you to do things for other people because everyone I know has asked me to do something for them with it (kind of like when someone has a truck, they have to help friends and family move)..... I wouldn't mind if I could figure out how to embroider without the fabric puckering. So far, I've had to turn all my embroideries into appliques.

Here's a picture of some shorts a coworker gave me to fix... the had a hole, so I embroidered a heart and zig zagged it over the hole. She requested white because she said she uses bleach sometimes.... she loved the way it turned out, so that is encouraging.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

• polardream
    10 years ago

I am hoping to get a little quilting in this weekend, too. I am finishing up some fleece blankets for Project Linus. I will also make a trip to get fabric for son's wedding quilt - gotta get it started!!!
    Sue

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

sure wish I was. Still can't manage to hold a needle. Can almost work a machine though. Arm gets better daily.

Will get to see my local guild show and that will be a treat. I take lots of pictures and get lost of ideas. I also buy stuff.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

It'd be nice if I could get a border on a quilt, but probably not likely.

Today I'm tied up with Girl Scout training, and tomorrow DS has his Raingutter Regatta race with the scouts. Plus, I've got lots of planning to do for my first scout meeting on Thursday.

I did finally get retreat stuff unpacked and mostly put away yesterday, though.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

No quilting here. I didn't even bring anything to work on. We're here in Indiana but I won't be able to get around and see anyone except a few family members. Not staying very long, but I needed to see them. Apparently the Geezerman thought so, too, as he agreed to come with me. :-)

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I have one more quilt top to finish for the trail run and I will have all of them done. The Fun Quilter will be delivered Wed and DH will be out of town for a bike ride so I will have lots of time to quilt. YAY I can see the end!

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Bobby~ good repair on those shorts! Looks like a perfect match.
    Sharon - Enjoy visiting your family.

Sounds like everyone is busy this weekend.

I got the Falling Charms quilt blocks from Retreat up on the design wall - had to somewhat unpack to find the design wall :~) Maybe I will get a few rows sewn together this weekend to test out my new Sewing Machine.
    My sewing area & cutting table is a huge mess, so I hope to get some of it cleaned and re-organized. Its scary what I find as it seems to be the catch-all for all kinds of "stuff".

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have quilted the baby quilt that I worked on at Retreat, so I am going to bind it today. I also have a couple of nine patch pizzaz children's quilts that I am working on.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Mostly attending to a couple work projects that are due next week, but I'll take a little time to work up a Dear Jane block in 2 or 3 different backgrounds to see which I like best. (light gray, medium gray, black).

Found the fabric to finish the Iris & Peony quilt I started at Retreat but don't think I'll get to it until next weekend.

A neighbor wants the featherweight tote I made, so if I can find the time to make another he can have this one.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, I hope to be. I spent an hour or two on Wednesday FMQing my latest project, and I could't believe that after all these months, I just had to pick a thread,load the bobbin and she took off and the stitches were lovely with good control on length and I sat there gloating and puffing up with pride only to find in the last six inches of quilting, I'd pulled extra material from the backing into the quilting. LOL. I took that run out, gave thinks I caught it, so I didn't have to go far into previous work, put the project down and haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. I am in the middle of canning green beans, so I can't sneak up there now to do it. Bobby...........how is your puff quilt coming along?

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Linda I love the quilts, I'm sure the baby will too!

Linda, I'm glad you are recovering, the few times I had to stop quilting to recover seemed to last forever.

Bobby, it's in the hooping! Learning to hoop properly takes practice. Also, starch as stiff as you can before you start. I learned organza can be starched lol!!!! I add a basting to the design and stitch that down first to keep the fabric from shifting. The heart design is gorgeous!!!!! Your doing good!!!
    Rosa

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I finished the last of the quilt tops for the trail run. Then when I laid them out I decided the last 4 really do need a small border. So I started on those. Have all the pieces cut, and started putting them on. I will have them ready Wed when the Fun Quilter gets here Wed.

beverly

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

This weekend was my child's birthday weekend. Sunday I did get a little done on my parents' Card Tricks quilt top and got all my child's legos off my desk so I can hopefully start on a new project later this week, I want to make some pincushions for Christmas gifts. Hopefully later today or tomorrow will have time to come back and read how everyone's weekend went.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Everyone was busy this weekend! Thanks Marsha and Rosa... practicing is fun and frustrating!

Calliope, the puff quilt is pretty slow going because I also started an Irish chain and I keep switching back and forth. I can't just do one thing at a time, but I have a full gallon Ziploc bag full of puffs ready to be stuffed. By the way, last September (a year ago), I started a Rail Fence quilt that I shared here... I'm still working on the binding, but I wanted to tell you that I also quilted the extra backing material that had folded over more times than I can even remember! It was so frustrating, so I know exactly how you feel!

I went to my grandmothers house Saturday (the family grilled some food for me since I turn 30 tomorrow.... aaaaahhh) and came away with 6 boxes of fabric! Some of it made me wonder what in the world she was thinking when she purchased it, but a lot of it is really nice! I left a lot of "ugly" stuff behind that they are just going to donate. I also got a really cool lamp called a tangle lamp that can be twisted and turned into different configurations and a small adjustable craft table. I was going to take her Singer 401A, but I need a fourth sewing machine like I need another hole in my head! Also, I didn't have room in the car and couldn't find the foot pedal; if it turns up I may take the machine and donate it to someone who can use it (after playing with it a while first of course)!

This post was edited by vacuumfreak on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:52

• lola99
    10 years ago

I started a little personal challenge. For a long time I've wanted to make a storm-at-sea quilt and I've wanted to make a quilt using only solids. I have not started either, so this weekend I decided to make a mini-storm-at-sea (only 4 blocks) and use only solids. I cut all the pieces and sewed a few units. So far it's going well. I'm not sure how much I'll like it (I think patterned fabric may be more interesting) but I'm trying to challenge myself to do something "new".

• polardream
    10 years ago

I did finish 3 fleece blankets for Project Linus - yeah! They are pieced and birthed, but not quilted. Just the front & back sewn together. That's it for a while - we leave to go camping on Wednesday!
    Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Happy ... Happy Birthday Vacuumfreak! (aka Bobby) Your post are always fun to read...enjoy your b-day!
    V.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Thanks Littlehelen, I appreciate that :o)

It will be quite a Birthday... first thing in the morning I have to take the Bernina back to the shop (it's doing the same thing I just had fixed... this will be the third time in the shop since I bought it... I'm about ready to trade it in for a Viking or just throw it in the ocean) then working the regular job from from 12 to 10 and the second job from 11 to 7... :o)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Vacuum freak, you can't toss Nina.... I have a 440QE and love her...what's wrong with the big sister?

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

When I press the thread slice button, the needle gets stuck down and I get a message stating to check the hook system.... and the needle is getting dull (after just a few stitches the point goes blunt) I think it's somehow making contact with the hook. I went through an entire package of needles in 10 minutes! I'm saving them to show the repair tech. Last time, the dealer told me it was the thread cutter blade, he had the machine for nearly 3 weeks and charged 80 bucks to replace it.

It's getting to the point where I cringe every time I turn it on and I'm actually scared of my sewing machine.... I just don't think I'm a Bernina person because I require a machine that works properly. I know I bought it used, but it had 10 hours on it when I bought it and I had it tuned up immediately, it should be working flawlessly! For what I've spent on it, it should not only be sewing perfectly but also it should be folding the laundry and washing the car and calling me sir! LOL