Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calverttx

Do you remember the Rooster?

calverttx
11 years ago

All I have to finish is the binding and quilting around a 3" border. I have a plan but need advice. This will be a community rooster when completed.

Here is what I need. I am not proficient at FMG. What kind of paper could I cut out, draw on my pattern and then quilt?

BTW, I used someone's idea of the painters tape and put diamonds on the background behind the rooster. He is as cute as can be. If you are the one thank you so much. It worked great.

All suggestions appreciated. You ladies are so smart. Nancy

Comments (7)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Nancy, I've found the for free motion, it helps me to take a pencil and just draw the pattern I want to use over and over on paper. Once I feel comfortable drawing it, I can sew it without marking on the quilt top. You might try outlining on paper a shape the same size as your border, then drawing different patterns on it to see what you like best, then practice drawing those, then tackle the quilting. Does that make sense? It sounds like a long process but I bet you'll find a rhythm to it pretty fast.

If you want to use paper though, try large coffee filters! You can buy a big stack of them for $1 at the dollar store and they tear off easily. Wax paper works too. Even regular paper works, but be sure to back stitch where ever you stop sewing because it has a tendency to loosen stitches at those spots.

I can hardly wait to see your festive rooster when he's finished!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Yes, I remember your Christmas Rooster ~ we all want to steal it!
    I have used Golden Threads Yellow paper when I ran out of a preprinted border at a workshop (Actually, someone stole it-didn't matter that my name was on the roll - she used it.) It is what I would use again, if I needed to stitch out a precise design. If you are uncomfortable free motion quilting, sketch out a design that is easy, Christmasy , an easily straight stitched with the feed dogs up. Gentle curves or a holly leaf, etc.
    Back to the paper - be very careful what you use to mark the paper. A sharpie, for instance, may / will transfer the ink to the fabric.
    I would not use regular paper, it is too hard to remove. Some people use that Clingy Saran wrap - I would not use that either. The Golden Threads comes on a roll, so it is easy to space your design.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Threads paper

• msmeow
    11 years ago

You can draw your shape on freezer paper, cut it out, press it to the top and stitch around it. You can re-press the freezer paper multiple times. I did this when I wanted a Christmas tree outline in the borders of some wall hangings.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Pressed on freezer paper! Great idea!

I second the caution against saran wrap. I tried that and it was a mess!

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

If you want to sew through the paper, then Golden Threads paper is a dream, as is regular old typing paper, newsprint, paper piecing paper (if you wish to spend the $$), or doctor's exam table paper. All of these are pretty thin, tear easily & gently.

DO NOT USE SHARPIES!! I repeat, DO NOT USE SHARPIES! I thought this was a good idea and it transfered to the white fabric I was stitching on.

What I would do (& have done, & am currently doing) on a quilt would be to sketch out a design that I'm happy with. If I need to repeat it or have multiple copies, layer pieces of your chosen paper, staple them together so they don't shift, then sew on your machine with an unthreaded needle. This will not only provide a perforated design a multiple of times, the perforation also makes it easier to tear the paper off when done.

If you need a continuing design for a border, then fan-fold the paper and then perforate (think paper dolls). This works great for borders.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love the rooster and can't wait to see him finished.

Great input as usual. My head is full ideas to improve my skills.
    LindaB/CA

• calverttx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quilting has been a learning experience for at least 20 years. I love to ATTEMPT new ideas. I do not always master them. FMQ is eating my lunch but I shall win, if I live long enough. Thank you all for your ideas. I went to an artist friend and he but a simple curly design on freezer paper. I CAN DO THIS! Nancy