Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Sept. 21-23 weekend question.

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

Are you quilting this weekend? I plan to quilt a small quilt that is loaded on my frame and then load a quilt for a friend. She made a quilt for a fund raiser at her church so I need to get it finished ASAP.

Before I can start quilting I have to mow the lawn. That takes over an hour on the riding mower. I am also making a pressing board to use with a Christmas project. I had a 36" square of OSB cut yesterday and I plan to cover it with batting and then duck cloth.

What are you doing this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (33)

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I'm trying to finish proofreading the guild's cookbook so it can go to print. The organizer is getting stressed about it and I need to get that done ASAP.

I've had a baby quilt on the frame for weeks... FInally have the machine cleaned and bobbins ready. It would be really good if I could get that done this weekend.

But DH is out of town, so I'm on my own with kid duty. Have girl scout bridging tomorrow and have to make cookies to take. Not sure what else will get accomplished.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I hope to finish cutting in prep for sewing at the upcoming retreat, plus finish the border quilting and binding on an almost finished quilt...seems things are in the almost finished stage :)
    Jenn...have fun w/ the scouts !
    Linda: What's OSB ?

V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Need to finish the blocks for this month and get them in the mail. Also want to complete a couple more table runners for a fundraiser we're having in a group I belong to.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a link to explanation of OSB board. It has a rough side and a smooth side. I will layer cotton batting and then duck cloth to the rough side and staple it to the back.This will make a pressing board large enough for me to lay out the large blocks I am making for a Christmas gift.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: OSB

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I have pulled out my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and made 4 blocks in the last 2 days. If I keep this up I can have all of blocks made by the first week of November....lol
    I had $10 quilt today and this month's block is a little tricky so while the instructions are clear in my mind I will get the block made. I am also going to get a dress cutout for DD. It is a semi-formal so may take me a while to get it done since I haven't done much garment sewing since she was a little girl......she will be 25 in January!

• calliope
    11 years ago

I shall be doing something up in the sewing room. They baby quilts are now done, the second one is drying in preparation of sending. I have a Carpenter's wheel with jewel box borders in the works, but I never just work on one quilt at a time. Does anybody? LOL

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Calliope, I guess you forgot about me! LOL! Anyway, as usual, I am only working on ONE project, a five-point star. (It looks like an ad for Texaco.) Will probably get to work on it some this weekend unless DH gets out a cat-o-nine tails and threatens me with it.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I went to the Jacksonville quilt show today and had a really good time! Bought 3 5-yard bundles and a pattern, and took lots of pictures.

I want to make a valance for my spare bedroom and maybe a couple of pillow shams then get DH to help me hang the quilts in there.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I plan to change out a wallhanging today.....DH says he likes the twister wreath better than the stained glass shell, and will continue looking for the second twister tool I've lost (along with printed layouts)......sigh.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Paper piecing and I are not meant to have a relationship.LOL
    I just finished the Dec. block. It looks fine but oh, the ripping and resewing that went on and the language not fit for children's ears.
    Now to clean off the table and return everything to its home.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

My weekend plans are to cut some fabric for Granny Square quilt blocks and maybe work on Grandma's quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I quilted the small quilt that was on the frame and loaded my friend's quilt on Sat.. I plan to quilt it this afternoon. I also made the pressing board and also a smaller rectangular board with the leftovers from the square board. I want to use this board to make another Mondo bag.
    Linda OH

• calliope
    11 years ago

I am trying to psyche myself up to start straighening the sewing room, and decided I have a few things to do beforehand. I did dig out the Eye of God quilt top I sewed many years ago. It was my second attempt at a quilt, and I stuck it away uninspired a good six years ago because it looked so amateurish. But, when I looked at it again, I decided it could almost pass for primitive..........like a Gee Bend, so birthed it this morning against a heavy yellow damask tablecloth and shall tie it off with yarn to use as a utility throw. rofl. It's wonky and 'almost' cute and man, glad to have it off the 'to do' list. I hate unfinished projects.

• karpet
    11 years ago

I finished the quilting on my current quilt and got the binding attached to the front - this is the binding I tore off the other quilt as I was sewing it to the back by hand. I am glad on both quilts that they now have the bindings they do! But I never thought I'd be as far as sewing a binding to the back by hand and end up tearing it off! So, that is four quilt tops that are now quilts, four to go!
    Karlene

• karpet
    11 years ago

I finished the quilting on my current quilt and got the binding attached to the front - this is the binding I tore off the other quilt as I was sewing it to the back by hand. I am glad on both quilts that they now have the bindings they do! But I never thought I'd be as far as sewing a binding to the back by hand and end up tearing it off! So, that is four quilt tops that are now quilts, four to go!
    Karlene

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Calliope, we have to see this primitive quilt that you have completed. Can you post a photo, please?

Karlene, I'm glad you are pleased with your binding switch. It's all behind you now.

I didn't do much in the sewing room since I'm packing for our trip to Italy this Thursday. However, I have been cleaning up my fabrics. I have had them all stored by color, and since I don't buy fabric that I don't have a pattern for, I don't have a "stash," so to speak. But I do have drawers with small amounts of leftover yardage combined with scraps of all sizes. Over the past week, I have taken all the really small pieces and put them in a large baggie (Goodwill, maybe). Then I took everything that was large enough and cut 1.5" squares out of it. I hope that someday I can make this postage stamp quilt. It looks like a good project to make over the course of many years.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Well, I finished the cookbook editing! Amen!

I got copies made and samples started for the paper piecing workshop at Retreat.

I made copies and fabrics cut for the pillowcase workshop at Retreat.

I made copies, cut out 18 Timtex shapes, and made 2 samples for the gift box tree ornament workshop at Retreat.

And I got the baby quilt quilted on all but two side borders. (Have had to remove & reload to do each side of the border... 2 down, 2 to go) Will try to finish this up next weekend when DH & DS are out of town.

Oh, it feels so good to be back in the sewing room!!

I also got one flower bed cleaned out. 2 loads of laundry done, and 4 kids fed, dressed and mostly kept out of trouble this weekend!

I'd call it a successful weekend!

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I only have one side to add a border to this Star top. I am thinking of maybe doing a utility quilting on it with heavier thread. It has sort of a western Texas ranch look to it - more of a masculine feel. I wonder if I could find some red pillow ticking for the backing??

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Lois, I love that postage stamp quilt. Wow. Now that's on my To Do list too. Maybe as a wallhanging, without sashing - yeah, I can fit that into my project list!

Jen - are we 17 or 18 for Retreat?

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

17, Kate.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Jen did my share! Whew! she makes me tired.......
    I only got 1 project packed up for Retreat - it was hard - thought it was going to be an easy one. Last year, TSA UNPACKED my entire suitcase (both of them) and went thru everything - so expecting that, I need to pack my projects, so I can put them back together. Bonnie Hunter suggested the scanners don't like the rulers.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Thanks Jen! That's what I though but wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be short on the little gift.

TSA doesn't like rulers?!? That's good to know even though I'm not flying this year.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Lois, Have fun with the Postage Stamp quilt..it's a winner!! That's basically what I'm doing with 6 1/2 inch crumb blocks....easier for me at this time.

Jen, It sounds like you had an awesomely successful weekend!!! And I thought I did good in finding my second Twister Tool....yep, hidden away in the Citrus Cooler quilt top I'm taking to retreat. Oops, forgot about the pillowcase workshop.....need to pick up a couple travel size pillows....xmas gifts for the 2 youngest DGGDs.

Marsha, The suitcase with a lot of my quilting fabric and supplies was gone through at the airport when I came home....thought it was wierd.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Lois, I am also planning to start cutting squares for the same style postage stamp. I just started a six month block swap so I'm hoping that will use up some of my small pieces; after that maybe I'll start cutting 1-1/2 (or maybe even 1-1/4") squares!

Donna

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I like that postage stamp quilt, too. It would be a nice complement to my DJ quilt. I could also use the same fabrics that I have leftover! ideas.......

My house is in terrible needs of cleaning, so I did the master bedroom and bathroom. I really hate cleaning bathrooms, so it was nice to have it done. I did work on a few of my DJ blocks. We went to the Titans/Lions football game (awesome game!!) yesterday and I had a few hours to do some hand work in the car on the way there.

Robbi

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Well, I didn't get any machine sewing done but did do some handstitching on my GFG. I have decided to just leave it out nearby so I can just pick it up and work on it while watching my favorite shows.....I won't fall asleep that way...lol.

My sister is coming up from Illinois for a highschool reunion on the weekend so I need to get some housework done. I have pulled some boxes and plastic bins out of storage and they are sitting in DD's room (now the guestroom while she is away) so need to get them put back and dust and vacuum up there. First guild meeting of the year is tonight so better gather up library books and items for Show and Share.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Tuppermom, my hubby is always laughing at me b/c I tend to doze off with a crochet hook or knitting needles in my hands. :) So be careful with a needle! LOL

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

LOL Donna! I haven't fallen asleep with a needle yet but I suppose there is a first time for everything. lol

• calliope
    11 years ago

Ah yes, we quilters are likely suspects for TSA searches. The last time I flew (late April) they actually went through MY HAIR! I don't cut it, and it is long enough to sit on, and I had it neatly pulled back in a bun. When I got out of the security check, it looked like a bird's nest after the babies had fledged. Good Lord, I had just been through a full body scan. You should have seen the commotion I caused when I brought a small butter churn back from England because they're hard to find here. The took me off to a seperate section to open the baggage and you should have seen the relief on the agent's face when it did actually turn out to be a churn. It did look wicked on the X-rays. LOL all those metal gears.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Last year, I got the full frontal body patdown, after I went thru the scanner. I wasn't thrilled with that.....going thru your hair is icky.....
    I think the rulers reflect the scanning. I had purchased 11 yards of wide batik backing. They unfolded it and tried to refold it. As soon as my suitcase came out on the conveyor belt, I told my DH my suitcase had been opened and just wasn't the same , before I even got home. It's okay, if it helps to keep us safe.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Seems like I have been trying to clean my sewing room for two weeks ... one step forward, four steps backward... Geez. I didn't get any sewing done, but organized more stuff for retreat. I didn't have a problem with my scanned suitcase last year - guess I was lucky.

Need to finish the instructions for the 9patch transformation and get them printed.

Tonight I plan to sew while watching The Voice ...

Sue

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm still working on what to bring to retreat. I suspect I'll either bring way too much or not nearly enough. I'm abandoning all but one project. I'm sure there's no way I would get more than one thing done. Maybe a little hand stitching work, like a binding if I get the Diamond Snow top quilted.

decision, decision....

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Yeehaw! Sewing space is almost completely set up. Got an Ikea adjustable leg table that's sturdy and low enough to save my shoulders and back!
    Had to buy a new "airport", but the office side of the room is now functional too. Got a great buy, $15 each on two oak file cabinets from Hospice.
    Finished another block ready to send.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm