Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Wedding Quilt Ideas Needed...

Robbi D.
12 years ago

I have a dear friend who is getting married the end of October. I am her matron of honor (that makes me sound soooo old!!) and I want to do something special for her and thought I'd make a memory quilt that included some photos or the shower and wedding along with some signature blocks. Lap size and nothing fancy or complicated. I'd like to have the signature blocks at her shower for guests to fill out.

What is a good size for them to write on? I could do a shape and applique them on, too.

I don't have a color scheme, but her wedding colors are fall colors, so I was thinking muslin for the signature blocks? Will that be "heavy" enough?

Thank you!!

Robbi

Comments (7)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I think muslin would work. Iron 4.5" x 4.5" pieces onto freezer paper before the shower so they can write on them easily.

Since she is having a Fall wedding have you thought about using a leaf pattern for the blocks? You could do an inverse color with the leaf in muslin for signing and use Fall colors for the surrounding parts. Picture attached in case that doesn't make sense. The Maple Leaf pattern is available on Quilterscache.com.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

If you give them plain fabric to write on, be sure to pencil in around showing the seam allowance. Otherwise, someone is likely to write right out to the edge of the fabric.

I agree that muslin would work fine. You can look for a high quality muslin that's a little bit thicker.

You could do something along the lines of a double/triple Irish chain with the signature blocks alternating. Or a 8 or 16 patch block alternating with signature blocks.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

This is a nice block for signatures. The block pattern is free at Quilt In A Day. Could make them in the wedding colors. Lots of possibilities.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: EB's Cracker Box Block

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I have done a similar idea using nine patch and snowballs, The snowball block is the signature block. They were made up beforehand so all folks had to do was sign them And they were ironed to freezer paper for stability.

Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I have always used a good quality muslin and it works well. I have also used the signature blocks as the backing for a wall hanging I embroidered for a small wedding. Fall colors will be pretty and any block with white spaces will work.
    Drawing the frame is a very good tip and also have something like a clip board than they can lay the block on to sign it. AND have extra blocks, at least 5 of mine were do overs.
    It is a great gift idea, looking forward to the pics!
    Rosa

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

One of my friends is making a signature quilt for her son and his wife-to-be who will be married in October. Here is what she is doing:

~ she bought a light batik fabric, cut squares, pressed on stabilizer, used a decorative stitch to outline an area on the square where the wedding guests are to write

~ will take the squares to the wedding reception and pass them out to the guests with Pigma Pens for them to write words of congratulations, advice, sentiments, etc. during the reception

~ she will have a display board set up with sample blocks written by her family members

~ the quilt will be made and given to the couple after the wedding; a batik border will be added and any other elements that the quilter wants to add.

This weekend she made a small wall hanging to give to her son and new DIL as her gift to them since the bed quilt will not be ready.

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So many great ideas! Thanks, guys :-) Since the shower is on Saturday and I'm very busy up until then, I'll see what I can get done since I'd like to have some squares ready for the shower guests to sign. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Thanks again!

Robbi

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area