Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

October Kaleidoscope class - Lesson 1

toolgranny
16 years ago

LESSON 1 - Fabric selection

Permission was granted by C&T Publishing to use excerpts from the book and lesson plans for:

One-Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal.

For hexigons, you need 6 repeats of a fabric with wild, flowery or figured bold print. Make sure it contains colors YOU like because when cut up, it is creating a pallet of colors you will arrange like you would a watercolor quilt. For the process of learning, you might consider an inexpensive fabric with a short repeat to cut up just so you can work on the process before investing in a large amount of expensive fabric.

Things to consider in selection:

== Avoid lots of solid color background in the fabric. Too much plain background produces kaleidoscopes with no design and all one-color. You can discard the extras or undesirable hexagons or use them in the borders so dont worry if you have a few you donÂt care for.

==ï· Try for movement in the fabric design - flowers, animals, amorphous shapes. A flowing leaf will produce a more interesting kaleidoscope than a bare stick.

==ï· Avoid straight lines as in buildings, plaids or stripes. They are not as dynamic and they require much more precision when sewing. We do not intend to match up lines or anything in this project. It will be very forgiving.

==ï· Skip fabrics with an obvious repeat every few inches, to avoid repeats of exactly the same kaleidoscope - think VARIETY!

==ï· I like large floral or animal prints. It is interesting to see a kaleidoscope formed of fish tails or lion's noses or the tires of a car or even a cowboy's hand waving as he rides the bucking bronco.

==ï· It might be helpful, when shopping, to use 2 mirrors arranged in a 60ï° 'V' placed on the fabric to get a hint as to the kaleidoscopes it will form.

figure 1A

In figure 1A you see a wild, Oriental, multicolored fabric. It produced an interesting study of wild colors beyond what I would have imagined. Pick your colors carefully as they become your pallet. Figure 1 shows the resulting panel.

figure 1

Your fabric requirements:

You need six pieces of fabric with the same pattern repeat. A 24" repeat means you need 4 yards. A 12" repeat means only two. I walk up to the cutter, bolt in hand, and pull off six repeats and say "cut here". They look at you funny but who cares. When you have grey hair, you can get away with a lot!

I cut strips of 4" widths across the fabric, selvedge to selvedge. This is an arbitrary width you can vary on future projects but for this lesson, start with that. One strip of 4" across the width produces about 16 sets of 6 triangles. The pieced top in figure 1 is 24" x 31" (before border) and took 24 sets of triangles. So, with a 12" repeat that is cut across the fabric in 4" strips, you would get about 48 sets of triangles or 48 hexigons. Finished size of only one hexigon is about 6-1/2" across so you could figure about a 6" block each. To practice, you can cut any smaller amount to get down the procedure. You can buy much more and enlarge this process for a whole bed size. IÂve even mixed alternating triangles from three repeats just to practice. You could also use scraps and not worry about the match.

figure 2

For this project I have chosen an oriental red and black floral print with large, bold flowers. See figure 2. It has a long repeat (Fig 2A) but I wanted more to work with.

figure 2A

IÂll show photographs of each step from this point forward so you can see the resulting hexigons from this fabric.

IÂll publish lesson two next the week after youÂve had time to look at fabric. Feel free to e-mail me if questions come up. IÂll collect e-mail addresses as they come in and answer each or post to the forum if I think the question has value to the group at large. Just print the lessons off and save them if you donÂt have time to deal with this class right now.

Linda

Comments (11)

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Linda. I had wondered what kind of fabrics would work in a kaleidoscope block. Your pics are a great help I want to try one.
    Rosa

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

I am so ready to get started on this. I bought two different fabrics because I wasn't sure one of them would work. I didn't want one quite as busy as yours, but I hope it is busy enough. I guess we'll see. If not, I will find something to do with it...LOL

Thanks for doing this.

Lynette

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

I am soooo ready to do this. Granted, I am using what appears to be a boring short repeat, but am really excited about this class! Besides getting our fabric, are we supposed to cut 6 repeat strips 4" X WOF for this class, too?

SharonG/FL

• idahoqltr
    16 years ago

I am really looking forward to your class also. I have bought my fabric. I got it for 30% off at Joann's and it has only a 12" repeat. I didn't want to go all out the first time. I have seen some beautiful One Block Wonders online lately and wanted to try it. Thanks for doing this. Debra in Idaho

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The cutting part will start in lesson 2. Since you're all "with fabric in hand", I'll post it Wednesday for you. Anyone not yet ready can just print it off to save for later. It also has pictures which I must upload to get ready. Let me know if anything is unclear.
    Linda

• ferrellee5
    16 years ago

I just discovered this forum and then I clicked on this post because I wanted to see how you taught a class on the kaleidoscope blocks. This is a very exciting block and I know because I have made quite a few of them. I just want to assure those that use this class will find it exciting to see the various blocks develope. I learned this method several years ago from Bethany Reynolds book Magic Stack-n-Whack Quilts. After awhile I didn't like following her method of joining the blocks but just appliqued a block onto a square block and joined them adjoining or alternating with a solid block. I had never tried joining them as you have shown. I'll be interested in seeing how you determine the way to join them. So I'll drop in every once in awhile. ferrellee5

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyone's welcome. We have a different subject each month and, usually, a different volunteer teacher. This is for October and you can find the previous post outlining the plan back on the 26th of September. Welcome and drop in whenever you want.
    Linda

• mmenzel
    16 years ago

I bought my fabric today! I am super excited about it I used a mirror and its a good thing because I had quite a few rejects first LOL

this is the fabric I chose.. it has a 12" repeat. I used the mirrors and was very happy with the look, Hopefully the colours will show nicely.

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a lovely fabric and something I'd have bought myself if I'd seen it. I'm anxious to see what you make of it. I have finished the quilt using this fabric above and I think you will like it, too. It's very red, black and dramatic. You'd never know what it started out as.

I'm going to try a wild African print next with metallic copper paint on it. When you get older, you can travel a bit off the beaten path. LOL

Linda

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I have been unhappy because I couldn't find the colors I wanted in the right sort of pattern for a kaleidoscope, but having seen yours, now I get it: Orientals are the way to go. The quilt you made from that first fabric is just scrumptious!

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Jan. Yes, just wait and see what the red and black made into. It's a great combination. Watch out for too many different colors in the Orientals. But, any large pattern is a candidate.
    Linda