Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

My uncle's quilt

loisflan
10 years ago

I have always felt a little sad that I began quilting only after my mom died. She would have liked a quilt from me. So I knew I had to make her brother one. Here is the quilt I made for my uncle and aunt from a pattern called Granada by Villa Rosa Designs. I saw this kit in a shop and thought it would be perfect for them. The backing is champagne-colored Minky.

Comments (15)

• chickie1
    10 years ago

I like it! And I usually don't like to quilt with browns but the mustard yellow really makes it. Great job!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I like it, too, Lois! Your uncle will love cozying up with the Minky. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

That looks nice with warm brown tones. Very modern looking. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lola99
    10 years ago

It looks great. I really like the rectangle shapes with the curved quilting. And a minky back just sounds luxurious.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Looks warm and cozy. I like the color combo.
    Great quilt.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Lois,
    I love that design and your color/fabric choices work great! It's on the modern side of the quilting world which I find myself leaning towards more and more. WOW...this is added to my project list.
    I'm sure your Uncle will love it..very nice!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Very nice and gentlemanly, yet the minky makes it soft and cuddly -- all men like that combination while they recline and control the remote while switching between golf, football, baseball, and NASCAR.

Is this a kit or did you pick the fabrics? Your placement of the stripes is very appealing. You have such a good eye.

I know what you mean about your Mom~I started sewing as a little kid - my Mom couldn't sew a button on and she was severely color blind - odd for a female, but runs in the family. I used to send her to Singer Sewing Fabric Shop to buy thread & notions for me while I was in school --I always sent fabric swatches and the sweet ladies there knew not to let her leave with the wrong shades. She always supported my sewing and every day that I quilt, I think how much she would have loved a special quilt made just for her.

Your Mom would be proud you made this for her brother. I like that you quilt with emotion.

• redmary
    10 years ago

Very nice! Color combo's are great and must agree that the quilting swirls really are a nice addition to the texture. What is Minky?

• redmary
    10 years ago

Very nice! Color combo's are great and must agree that the quilting swirls really are a nice addition to the texture. What is Minky?

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Redmary, Minky is an incredibly soft and cuddly, longer fiber, plush fabric - probably polyester. Babies love it, so I'm told, and so do adults, both male and female. It feels absolutely wonderful. I used it to back my own cuddle quilt.

Marsha, this quilt came as a kit. I usually don't buy kits, because I love to choose my own fabrics, but this one really appealed to me. I always agonize over color placement. Sometimes when I'm finished with a quilt I ask, "How did I ever let that happen?" But generally I'm quite pleased with the results.

Thanks for all the kind compliments.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Lovely quilt, Lois! I like the corner squares that carry over the color scheme. Well done!

Teresa

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I like the quilt design and the unique color choices. Really great gift.
    LindaB/CA

• sherryquilts
    10 years ago

Love your uncle's quilt. I know what you mean. I have quilts left to me by Grandmas on both sides also by a Great Grandma...wish I had taken quilting up much earlier!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

You've made a lovely quilt. I really like the color combinations, although they are not what I would normally choose for myself. I'm sure your uncle will be pleased.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Very nice! I love brown, and I love brown and blue together. It's masculine but cozy. You had a good idea with the pants hangers, too.