Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

A fleecy filling?

meldy_nva
10 years ago

It's a question a neighbor asked me a while back. After talking about how our parents/grandparents used to use old blankets instead of "boughten" batting, she wanted to know if there was any reason she couldn't use a polyester fleece blanket instead of batting? She pointed out that they are machine wash/dryable, non-allergenic, light-weight, and hold their loft very well.

I've tried out a heavy non-pilling fleece (purchased by-the-yard) and a light-weight blanket re-purposed. The only negative I can find is that it *will* stretch if pulled on while pinning; but so does standard poly batting. Both also made more lint in the sewing machine, but not much more than 100% cotton. If you are already in the habit of regularly dusting the presser foot and bobbin areas, you may not even notice the extra lint.

Does anyone know of any other reason not use a fleece blanket as batting?

Comments (16)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I have never used fleece for batting, but have used it for backing without using batting. Unless someone has actually used it as batting and can answer your question, I guess you'll have to try it as batting to see if there are any very negative results. Keep us updated. :-)

SharonG/FL-IN

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Well, it would never occur to me to use fleece as a batting. I hate the feel of polyester fleece - and I know that's just me, LOL! I won't even own a fleece jacket.

But my big question is WHY? A fleece blanket, or even fleece yardage is much more expensive than a polyester quilt batting, which is also lightweight, hypoallergenic, doesn't shrink, and holds its loft.

There are high-loft polyester batts out there. They make a nice, warm, and lofty quilt. Add to that, you can get them already sized for a bed quilt. If you wanted a large queen or king sized quilt, you'd be piecing that fleece yardage.

I can absolutely see using it as a quilt back with no batting in between, especially if one likes the feel of fleece. But to buy a more expensive fabric just to sandwich it away? I just don't like that idea.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm not a big fleece fan, either but I know a lot of folks are and they are so soft for babies. There is fleece and there is fleece too. Some are so stretchy I should think they'd be hard to work with, and some aren't. That being said I did it once with a large fleece blanket/throw I bought for the daybed and found it impractical. It was a heavier wooly feeling fleece and it did just fine as a batting for one of my smaller utility quilts. It was dark, so I used it with dark quilting blocks, of course. This lady may have lots of fleece on hand already. I had some in a stash of fabric given to me and it ended up as a goodwill donation. LOL. I've used blankets, wool blankets, a heavy tablecloth, an institutional heavy cotton sheet, flannel as well as traditional batting and it all depended on if it was a scrappy quilt I'd keep or a special quilt I'd give and frankly I like some of the non-traditional batting quilts better than my fancy ones. They carry forth the integrity of the craft as far as making something out of nothing and look so much like depression era quilts I knew as my first experience with quilts and learnt to love.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Since we're talking batting...I recently read on one of the several bloggers that I follow that they steer clear of polyester batting of any type precisely because it does not shrink, while the 100% cotton top and backing does shrink. The end result not being good for the long run and unattractive. Seems fleece would fall in this category...any thoughts about that???
    V.

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

So - I need to clarify my response, and then add to it.

I am in no way against using fleece - especially if one has it around. I never have fleece blankets or yardage around because I just don't use it for anything else. So I wouldn't buy it for a quilt batting or backing.

If one has it, use it! If I had it, I certainly would.

I do occasionally use poly batting, especially if I want a "puffy" look to the quilt.

I actually like a bit of differential shrinkage between the batting (whether cotton or poly) and the quilt fabrics. It gives the quilt some dimension.

Use what you have. When you have to choose, choose what will give you the result you want.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Quilt dimension...like that perspective...
    Personally I would not use fleece only because it's soooo warm... I have my own personal summers, don't need to exacerbate the situation... ! But do agree, use what you have that works for the quilt and who may be the recipient.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know she had some fleece blankets, cost something like $15 for king-size. I did mention stretch to her, but that apparently wasn't a concern.

re shrinkage: I can't help with that because I *always* preshrink and check colorfastness for all fabrics. No exceptions. Past quilts made with poly filling look the same as new except for gradual fabric fading over many washings. Loft pretty much remains as it was when new... DH's old quilt was/is used as a bedspread for over 30 years; it looks pale blue now instead of bright medium blue but the loft is the same. A lot of folks like the looks of fabric and/or batting shrinkage, so they probably wouldn't like poly batting, but my quilts are always utility and meant to be machine washed and dried -- I just don't have the patience to air-dry cotton battings, lol.

• calliope
    10 years ago

' I just don't have the patience to air-dry cotton battings' Uh-oh I didn't know they were supposed to be. (That's why I hang out here, to learn). Everything of mine gets air-dried as I don't use an electric dryer, but was considering biting the bullet and once a year taking them all to a laundromat and doing it in something other than the Luddite manner I usually use.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The "risk" of machine-drying cotton batting is that it *will* shrink... 2%?, 5%?, more?! Not much of a problem for those who like the wrinkly look, and also not a biggie if the shrinkage is 2%. But 5% is the same as squooshing a 100" quilt down to 95" or a 50" lap down to 47"... read the label carefully and if potential shrinkage isn't mentioned, assume it will be rather high.

I was taught to air-dry by spreading a sheet [or two] on a level grassy area; spread and smooth the wet quilt on it (and you know how easy it is to spread HEAVY wet fabric); cover with another sheet or two. Every few hours, uncover, flip underside to top, cover, and repeat until dry. Depending on the thickness of the batting and how hot the sunshine, this can take several days, with you hauling it in each evening and trotting back out every morning because you for sure do not want morning dew or a surprise overnight shower to re-wet it. Purists will have a frame and tack the quilt to it so that it remains squared and is easier to flip. Remembering all this sure brought my childhood summers back :)

• calliope
    10 years ago

I had to LOL when you discussed how easy it is to spread heavy, wet fabric. The last time I did a quilt, I had my husband help me. I have wire g'house benches over heavy wood frames and some of them can easily accommodate a queen sized quilt, and they are out of the dew and rain, should it happen and the wire mesh gives airflow to both sides at the same time and they are blocked when I lay them to dry. It's been a Godsend for drying large items like quilts and even my very large, very heavy braided rugs.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Mine go on the clothesline on a nice breezy day.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Mine go in the dryer and I'm ok with that!

I used to use all cotton batting but have come to like the loft and softness of the 80/20. My lightest, softest, summer quilt has a thin wool batting; washes up like a dream.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For clothesline drying: pin quilt to a sheet, leaving a couple inches of sheet on all sides. pin the *sheet* to the line to prevent stretching the quilt out of shape or wearing the quilt-fabric. Works even better if you have side-by-side clotheslines and pin one side of sheet to one and the other side to the other, letting the quilt-filled sheet hand like a hammock.

calliope ~ I like that, it's sort of an over-sized version of a sweater-dryer.... maybe you should go into business making them for others :)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Meldy, I don't think so.........one double bench like that is 8 x 16 and weighs a couple hundred pounds. I can't see them flying out the door for fabric drying.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking on the order of those sweater dryers.... PCV and netting. Just large enough to spread a quilt.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Now THAT would come in handy!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!