Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Goodbye Irene - quilt Pic :~)

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

I got power back on last night!!! 36K still w/out power this morning who are serviced by the same power company. Power company insists they are 'storm ready' ummmmm????

On the afternoon of Day 5, I realized I could try out the Jelly Roll 1600 Race - it required no iron (I am a dedicated presser)and I could use my Featherweight plugged into the gas portable generator without risking harm to the FW.

I used Hoffman Bali Pops Mocha Mint. It is straight off the FW - no pressing - no trimming. I will name it "Goodbye Irene" - the power came on while I was almost finished-I didn't even realize it - I was chugging away by the little light on the machine, and a neighbor knocked on the door to tell me to turn off my generator! :)

This is the first I have sewn on the FW. What a cool little machine.

This is the result:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jelly Roll 1600 Quilt!

Comments (15)

• gininmn
    12 years ago

Great job! I love your story and could just imagine you having such a good time sewing on your FW that you didn't even notice the power was back on. Glad to hear that.

I have a FW I got in late October (and named BellaRuby)that I've yet to use. You've inspired me to pull her out, reintroduce myself and use her to make a block for a friend.

• polardream
    12 years ago

NICE! I love how you figured out how to quilt in the face of adversity!

Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gin - I was able to take off the ankle from my Pfaff and put in on the FW and use all the Pfaff feet. (My dealer showed me.)

I also wanted to point out to those who may want to try this quick quilt, but want it larger. Before the last step of cutting in half and sewing- the section measures 99" x 30"(a little larger after pressing)
    3 jelly rolls sewn to this point, then the sections sewn together should give you a king size or close. I may make a quick king.

• calliope
    12 years ago

"I could use my Featherweight plugged into the gas portable generator without risking harm to the FW."

Sitting here smiling because you know you got it bad ............when.

We have a generator, but it was used mostly for g'house crops, and only found its way down to the house once q three days to kick on the freezer and fridge so food wouldn't spoil. The whole house is pretty much retrofitted now to run sans electric if needed.

I have hand quilted and embroidered by oil lamp. Suppose many generations before me did the same thing in this old house.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Nice! I may cut up some strips and bring them to the retreat. Great way to use up all those scraps.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Perfect use of a generator.
    Perfect use of a jelly roll.
    Perfect use of a feather-weight.
    Perfect name!

Good job!!!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Glad you're back in business Marsha!!! I hand quilted with a flashlight (one of the big camping size) but it wasn't the same as having lights. To me the humidity was the worse part. We had 4 hurricanes in a row and trees and trash everywhere. But all fam & friends were safe!!
    Thanks for the pattern, it makes a cute quilt.
    Rosa

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Very cool! Glad you got your electricity back on. You should quilt hurricanes on it!

Rebeca

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I'm glad you have power again and you are all safe to boot. It's nice to have a "souvenir"of this harsh year. I'll be anxious to see how you quilt it. It's lovely.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Smart Lady! ...and you have a great quilt to show for it!

What an insparation you are to us hurricane prone area residents.

THX!
    Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Love your story, Marsha, and the name couldn't be any better! Good for you!!!! @:)

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Awww...good job, Marsha! It's very pretty and perfect name! Glad you are back with power and things can get back to normal for you.

Dee

• nannykins
    12 years ago

The instructions are to join all the strips on the diagonal. What would happen if they were all joined on the straight. How would the quilt look then? Would it be awful? Just a question.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Great job, Marsha!!

You can lead the races at Retreat then! I had plans to have 'quilt races' doing this! You can make your 2nd portion to your king-size!

Further details to come for Retreaters on what you need to bring...

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very good question - actually, sewing the diagonals is the time consuming part of making this, because I also trimmed the excess w/ scissors and clipped the threads after each seam. When I tried to chain piece, I inadvertently flipped the long strip and had the seam on the wrong side, even though I thought I was careful. I think you need the diagonal seam to keep the eye moving down the strips-visually looks better and more complicated.

I think I am going to add a border or two. Good idea Rebeca - to quilt hurricanes / wind.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments and allowing me to whine during Irene's aftermath.