Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Dear Jane: It's Robbi's fault!

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I'm so intrigued by Robbi's rainbow Dear Jane, that I decided to give it a try. I looked at Sylvia's Bridal quilt and The Farmers Wife quilt, but went with Dear Jane. Not sure I'm ready to commit to a block of the month subscription (10 blocks per month for 2 years!) but I bought the book today and will try to do a few blocks each month. I am working on choosing colors and having a hard time deciding. There are so many gorgeous examples on line! We all know I won't be going totally scrappy with it (LOL) but I'm considering using all batiks or maybe even Kaffe Fassette's colorful prints. I'll probably restrict it to just a couple colors because I loved the Sylvia's Bridal quilt in all teals and browns done by Nanajayne (I believe that's who made that beauty) and I think the controlled layout of colors is part of what makes Robbi's quilt so striking. Pretty sure I'll use a white background, but there are some other good choices for that too! Arrrrggghhh! So many options!!! I'm sure this will be at least a two year project so it's important to choose something I won't get tired of before I'm done.

If anyone else is starting one of these multi-mini-block sampler quilts, like Dear Jane or Sylvia's Bridal or The Farmer's Wife, let me know. Maybe we can inspire each other and post updates. Or, if you've done one, any words of advice will be appreciated!

Kate

Comments (33)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Yes, I started Dear Jane years ago and was trying to make the blocks using the colors of the original, but that got old/drab real fast. I like the idea of just using a few colors and having a controlled layout. Whatever you do, enjoy the process, Kate.

I even have a Dear Jane CD of something .... think it's a printable pattern of each block....I haven't even looked at it.

Someday, I might start over again. My record shows I have 15 blocks made and 1 triangle. I could probably put those together for a doll quilt or a Little Warrior quilt.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I get seriously involved I might have to get the CD. I'll look at the book first.

I thought my Kaffe Fassett idea was pretty original but I found some examples on line. Really beautiful! And I saw one done all in greens and reds with a white background that wasn't exactly Christmassy but would make a wonderful addition to Holiday decorations. The outer triangles were left white to the pieced triangles looked like Christmas trees. Very clever!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It's on the project list; however, it won't happen before I retire. Love the idea of Kaye Fassett fabrics. I should look on line at the examples because to me, his fabrics are so striking in the design I would not want to lose it in the block. Yet I can see those fabulous colors making a truly awesome Dear Jane. Tough choice!
    At this point in time I will project doing one in Batiks, but retirement is still a few years away....things could change.
    How exciting!!! Let us know what you decide..
    V

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have had that one on my list for a while. I have the book too. Give me a week or so to decide my colors and I will start it with you. I am sure it is one of those that I will work slowly on.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea!

I've been looking on Pinterest for ideas. Check out this link for some inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilts: Dear Jane, Sylvia's Bridal, The Farmers Wife

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

That is on my bucket list too. I have the EQ Dear Jane CD, the Sylvia's Bridal, and the Farmers Wife books. (Some were gifts)
    I did a few blocks in pink and brown when some friends were making them but haven't made any for over a year.
    I would like to start working on them again after the holidays are over this year. We are expecting a new grand baby in December so I will be busy for a while.
    Linda OH

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

It is the 150th Anniversary of the Dear Jane Sickle Quilt.
    The link below is one blog with pics of the celebration and exhibit help in Vermont.
    Amazing quilts and blogs covering this event.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dear Jane

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I may just do mine totally scrappy! One of us has to be daring. LOL

Jackie

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations to K8 and Jackie on your adventure! You'll need to keep us posted as to your start and progress!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have always wanted to do one of these... BUT I could never decide on a palette that would please me, AND, we all know that I don't have time for this! lol

You could probably inspire me to start, but unfortunately, I could probably never finish it.

Good luck on the journey, and I'll look forward to seeing your progress at the next Retreat!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scrappy!?! Oh No!!!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I need a poster like that!!!!

• polardream
    10 years ago

Me, too! Those of us who are "scrappy-phobic" need it! Jackie and Kate - I admire you! I can't seem to get anything of any size going or started - there is no way I would attempt a Dear Jane right now. I will be watching your journey!
    Sue

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

One of my UFO's is a Dear Jane... I have several blocks hand pieced following the original as close as I can but I am tired of it and don't think it is in the future. I would like to try again sometime working with the machine and a different pallet. I looked at your pic and really like the concept of blue and white. I think it would be very impressive. I also have the "Farmers Wife Pony Club" book and patterns but not likely to do that one.
    Good luck.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Well, I have been looking at my stash and realized that I have over 100 different Civil War Fabrics. Civil War fabrics are not really my thing (long story about how I got them). But they are fitting for this quilt, so I guess I will do it in these fabrics with a cream background. This way, I am not spending any money on this quilt! Which means if it lays around for a while as a UFO I won't feel bad.

Jackie

• grammyp
    10 years ago

You ladies are far braver than I am. Perhaps one day I will give DJ a try, but it will never be as nice as Robbi's. That is one beautiful quilt.

If anyone doing them scrappy needs some fabrics I have lots to share.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

LOL! K8!

I love the look of Robbi's quit and other Dear Jane's that I have seen, but the larger 6-inch block format of Sylvia's Bridal Quilt is more appealing to me. Maybe some day when I retire I will start my own Sylvia's. It also appeals to me because I have read a number of the Elm Creek Quilters books and I met the author at a quilt show several years ago in Lancaster.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackie - Civil War fabrics compliment the quilt and are consistent with the original. I know you have no fear of scrappy and embrace it but have you seen some of the examples that graduate colors across the quilt? Either like Robbi's with colors arranged around the center or in diagonal bands across the quilt? It's a great effect.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are some of the DJ quilts I found that I like the best. They illustrate what I meant about the flow of color. The traditional scrappy ones are pretty too, but these really appealed to my desire to put ducks in rows, make sure square pegs go in square holes, and everyone buckles up. I can't help it.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is amazing to me because it's such a color departure from the others and it would serve as a fabulous Christmas quilt! By using white in the outer triangles, the pieced triangles almost look like a series of Christmas trees around the outside of the quilt. It's listed as being done in "gray and red" but it kind of looks like a soft green. It was made in the Netherlands for a Dear Jane quilt show in France. Jane really gets around!

I love, love, love this!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I really like the grey/red one as well. I guess the softer palettes speak to me more.

In your first pic, though I like the color gradient & 'light shine' in the upper left and lower right ones, I find them to read too dark for my taste.

The upper right one simply looks scrappy to me. I don't see a specific color placement. Though I do see now the lighter corners.

The lower left didn't speak to me at first, but as I really look at it, I do see there's an organized color placement... I just didn't see it at first.

The bottom center one probably speaks to me the most. But I'm not sure how I could ever achieve that balance and blend.

It the general idea of a DJ quilt to keep the blocks in the same order as everyone else's? or is it to mix it up as you see fit?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good question! I don't have the book yet (Amazon, please hurry!) but I believe there's a placement grid and the idea is to follow the placement plan. If you want to mix it up though I don't think anyone here would call the Special DJ Squad of the Quilt Police on you! Your secret would be safe with us!

Coming this Fall: "Law and Order: DJ" "They seamed like nice ladies, but they ripped this fabric with criminal intent!"

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I was just speaking to someone this morning about what we would be watching this fall on tv. I pick Kate's show. Sounds like a winner to me.
    Theresa

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Kate,
    I had not been interested in Dear Jane until I saw the version you posted. I really like that color combination!
    Jeanne

• lola99
    10 years ago

I'm excited that the two of you are going to do this. I thought about it a few years ago but realistically I know that I'd never finish.

I like the "gray and red" quilt but I'm particularly drawn to the brights. I think the ones with Kraffe Fassett are great. I linked to one of my favorite ones below. I also enjoyed seeing how Judi Madsen quilted it. (If you follow the links you will get to her blog.)

In any case, congratulations on making the decision to jump in. I'll enjoy following your progress and offering any encouragement along the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gwen's KF Dear Jane

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

I have been working on (sometimes) my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks for over 2 years and have about 50 or so done. Mine are all purple and green including the background which is a very pale purple with tiny dots.

The LQS has a Farmer's Wife club and they used William Morris prints.

I will eventually get the quilt finished but it is not on my priority list.

Maryv

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

This Sylvia's Bridal Quilt really wowed me!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Teresa, That Sylvia bridal quilt is awesome...just love it.

Of the DJ, I'm drawn to the red/green/gray. It does resemble Christmas trees around the border. I really like Robbi's brights and keep thinking I'd like to give it a try in batiks, but still thinking on it.

How exciting for K8 and Jackie...looking forward to seeing your progress as time goes on.

V.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Teresa~ is that SBS sewn in 30's prints? If so, it has your name on it! I've had the book since it came out-maybe someday. I think deciding the fabrics and colors is what stops me from starting.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Marsha,
    Can't really tell if those are 30s repro prints, colors are similar, but I don't think I would use 30s prints in my version of SBS. I would use medium pastels not super pale pastels.

I love the border! And figured out that it is probably two 3-inch 9-patch blocks, one on top of the other consisting of HST patches, solid white patches, and 1 center square in each block. So simple, but so pretty!

I may be getting the book at some point. But I'm not sure if I would make an entire bed quit, maybe a wall hanging. I would give myself lots of leeway as to how often I sew a block. And if I didn't like a certain block, I would feel free to substitute with another block. I'm usually not hung up on reproducing something exactly, but changing it a bit here and there to suit my taste and color placement. And I have a trained puppy to snoop out the Quilt Police. ;o)

Teresa

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I am impressed with the SBQ. Love the way it was quilted and the border suits it so well.
    IMO I don't think those are 30's prints.
    Just a note from having used the book to make mine....be thoughtful of the directions as some of them weren't as accurate as I think they should have been.
    Someone posted a site about making it DJ by machine. I wish I had saved it.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's a site the has tutorials for each block. This link gets you to A-1; the first block in the first row. There's a link on that page to each of the other blocks. I'm hoping it helps, but I may end up getting the CD too.

Here is a link that might be useful: DJ block tutorials

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

They're all beautiful, but the Sylvia is incredible!
    LindaB/CA

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz