Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QofTD 9/04/11 -Hoffman Challenge 2012 Fabric

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

This is it!

What do you think of the fabric Hoffman designed for the 2012 challenge?

I'll tell you what I think after you answer.

My Guild participates & I thought maybe I would make something in the small category just for fun - wearable-accessory - something not a quilt, as it was great fun displaying and voting at the meeting last year. I was a new member, and had no idea whatsoever what they were talking about~LOL~for most of the year.

What do you think of this fabric?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoffman Challenge Fabric 2012

Comments (17)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Ten years ago I would have said..."I love it....so pretty...sweet!"

Now I have to say...."not for me."

Teresa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I like them!

Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I like them, the colors are soft and soothing. I would like to use the large floral in a Stack n Whack (never made one). Or Bonnie Hunter's Random Ohio Stars. Several of my sisters love this color combo. But I can see where it wouldn't appeal to some, it is very feminine.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Horrible! Not my colors at all and the large print is... surprising considering some of the dynamic prints they've used in previous years. If this is all I had to quilt with I would get much better at coloring my own fabric.

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Eh, it doesn't inspire me at all. I tend to not like large-scale prints, and I've outgrown my purple stage, LOL.

I probably would have loved it in my 20's!

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

I love, love, love the fabric and can see it being used in so many ways. I have never entered the Hoffman Challenge before, but I hope to this time.
    (Sounds like I am the "odd man out" on liking the fabric but hope the challenge is a big success for them anyway!)
    Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

One of the joys of quilting is the variety of fabrics and colors available. One of the other joys is seeing the beautiful quilts that people can make with fabrics I would never use.

It's so interesting to read that some of you think you would have liked it better when you were younger because to me it doesn't look young or romantic at all. Now I'm eager to see the quilts made from it!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Large prints aren't my style but I think they can be useful when used with other fabrics. I rather like the combination of prints but purple isn't a color that I am comfortable with so I guess I am not challenged.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I like purple and can see the large print being used in a kaleidoscope or Stack and Whack....or fussy cut...or 9PP. I doubt I would use all the fabric in the same quilt, but certainly some of them. I don't really care for large prints and usually end up using them in borders unless it's for a specific pattern.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stack n whack or One Block Wonder - but what's original about that??? It reminds me of a dress I bought in desperation 20 years ago to wear to a wedding - I called it my Grandmother's slip cover dress. I hated it!!! And lavender is the only color I really do not like at all! Nope-I do not like it. I am disappointed. :(
    It will be interesting to see the creativity people come up with. Look at the winners of last years Challenge.

• karpet
    12 years ago

It does remind of a fabric from the late 80'- early 90's. I used to avoid large prints, but I'm starting to like the challenge of them more. I do like purple, but it is the color I have the least of in my stash.
    Karlene

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Marsha! My mom had a dress like that! (though hers were more jewel tone than the Hoffman fabric) She wore it at my sister's wedding in 1990 and again to a few other weddings since, and even thought about wearing it to a formal family affair in June! (I talked her out of it!)

The dress needs to be burned! It also looks very much like a bedspread she has on her bed!

The Hoffman fabrics don't 'speak' to me at all. Very wishy washy compared to the last number of years

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

don't really care for it very much. Used up my purple phase with a king size Turning Twenty Again. bought so much purple/lavenders that I just don't think I can do it again.

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Not my cup of tea, and I can see where it would be quite the challenge, at least for me!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I actually think they are very pretty but you need to love lavender. It is slightly old fashioned as well. I wonder if it comes in another color way.

• polardream
    12 years ago

that fabric is NOT for me! I think stack-n-wack is one way to tame it. It does remind me of curtains ...

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Not for me either. I made a dress back in the 80's that used something like that. I can't imagine wearing it now :-(

Robbi