Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Sept Quilting Goals

You girls are awesome!!!! You did so much last month that I'm just going to list a few things so I can hopefully complete my list this month.

Quilt the Crumby D9P

Re-sew half of the Tie Quilt

Do Sept BOM and BOW blocks

Sew the Wintery 9-Patch Pizzazz blocks together

Rita, How's your hand?

Everyone without electricity is allowed to whine!

What are you working on to take to the retreat? Those of us left behind will be at the retreat through you so share a little bit. @:)

SharonG/FL

Comments (29)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

whine-whine-whine ;(

actually should be wine-wine-wine :)

Sharon - I want to see picture of your 9- Patch - did you see my picture? sorry to hijack......

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I hope Rita's hand is better.

I am trying to figure out what to take to retreat. I am finishing up one gift (to be shown later), sandwiching and quilting two panels for my front hall because I'm sick of the two in there now, and putting together my friend's blocks to make her quilt.

I'm on a FMQ binge right now so may get a lot of UFOs finished this month. Those binges are rare so I must set aside other things and go with it.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yes, Rita, hope your hand is better.

I must finish my goodies for the retreat.
    Finish getting games, prizes, and projects together for retreat.
    Get machines cleaned and ready to pack.
    Finish red/white baby quilt.

That should keep me busy
    beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha, I just went and looked at your picture. I really like how you extended your blocks into the border. I haven't gotten that far yet, so haven't even considered it yet. I'll take a picture when I have my blocks together....maybe later today. I ran out of one of the fabrics and had to piece 3 of the 9-patch squares together....lol. Oh well, that's what it's all about....making it work! I really wasn't sure if I'd like this concept, but the more I looked at it and moved blocks around, it looked better, so thought I'd better get them sewn together before I started moving blocks again. @:)

Linda, If it wasn't for binges, we'd never get a lot of things completed!!! Binge away!!!! LOL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I also ran out of fabric - made some rail fence blocks that blended in. You can spend days rearranging blocks. I started out making the Koi pattern, and it ended up looking nothing like it. Can't wait to see a picture of yours.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I'm planning to make a dress this weekend, after that we'll see how much gets done. With bathroom remodeling and vacation this month, it probably won't be much! LOL But hopefully hubby's BD quilt will get quilted this month, too.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Rita the head on would have scared me to death, hope you heal fast.
    Marsha I wish we could send help your way. Hang in there, I remember really hot, humid times in FL when we had storms.
    Our weather is still 92 today but will drop to 68 tonight FINALLY!!!!! Glad to say good bye to August.
    My plans are mainly to finish the 'Cats' and I have been crocheting. I will be in the yard pulling weeds around my roses and plants A LOT since it was too hot during the summer.
    21 yo nephew heads for Afganistan in October, in winter, no electricity. My sis is having a hard time so I plan to make her lots of girly things.
    My prayers are every morning for world peace and feed the hungry. Sounds like a beauty contestant doesn't it lol!!!!!!
    Rosa

• User
    12 years ago

How sweet of all of you to ask about me. My hand was x-rayed, not broken, abrasions and bruises are fading, (the boob and abdomen are still black), but hand still hurts and saw the Dr. this morning for follow-up, says it was badly sprained and it's just going to take time. It is my left hand, but it's amazing how much we really do use the off hand. Still can't stand any pressure or much bending of fingers, so not doing much except using the mouse lately. Hope this will heal up this month, got so much to catch up on. Yes, this was frightening, nothing I could do, it happened so fast, the guy decided he couldn't wait his turn to go into the convenience store and whipped into the oncoming lane and guess who was there? Total loss of the car, DH went and signed off on one today, will hopefully pick it up tomorrow. The VW Jetta is a small car but boy it sure did it's job via the airbags, but the impact knocked me so hard I couldn't breathe for awhile and I really at first thought I was meeting my maker. It took a week before I kept seeing that car coming at me every 15 minutes. Ladies, check while you are driving to see where the strap comes across your chest, if it is not between the boobs and you get hit, you're not going to like what you see.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK Marsha, here it is. This is way outside my comfort zone! I think I should have had some of the peachy blocks down in the left hand corner, and since I dropped a couple blocks in moving from the board to the machine, I'm not sure I have everything where I had them.....still thinking about the border. So, here's the top for the Winter 9-Patch Pizzazz.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Rita - sorry about your accident - somehow I missed it and you have a hurt hand -ouch! My DS also crash w/ his Jetta -
    another amazing airbag save! You are very lucky - sprains hurt worse than breaks - I was always told :(

Sharon - looks very good - the dark 9Patches in lower 1/2 (bottom) to lead the eye - you really have to wrap your head around the concept don't you? Next - frame it with a narrow border, then start playing with the 9 patches again. I like it!!!! Next time take a picture and print it for reference - I needed to to keep it right. A fan blew across mine & I never got it back the same way.

My Goals for Sept- finish the Oct goals & get ready for the Retreat (which includes getting my business ready for me to be gone for a few days).

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Sending Rita best wishes for a rapid recovery!

Thanking Marsha and Sharon for renewing my interest in the 9PPizzazz. I did a small one about a year ago and loved it. Now that you've both been talking about it, I've decided to use that pattern for my nephew's dorm quilt.

I have a quilt top done for the niece's dorm quilt that needs to be sandwiched and quilted. I think I'll use glow in the dark thread for the quilting.

I'm ready to get started on the nephew's dorm quilt and I think I even have all the fabrics I need for it. Thinking about using a dark blue Minky for the backing on his.

Non-quilting projects for the month:
    > get to work on recovering all of the cushions in my patio with mildew-resistant Sunbrella fabric.
    > move every thing out of the office, tear down the built-in bookcases along one wall to make room for the exercise equipment, rebuild the bookcases in the closet, paint the walls and then install the wood floor. I'm tired just thinking about it!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Kate I wish I was that motivated!!!! My sewing room needs cleaning and painting, actually it needs a LOT!

Sharon I love it, I think it is gorgeous! I looked and looked for Marsha's quilt back to the end of June and I can't find it.

Where is it Marsha???????
    Rosa

• polardream
    12 years ago

Rita, I hope you are starting to feel better. An angel must have been watching over you, Thank Goodness!

We have lots of home improvement stuff going on & work on the motor home so it's a crazy month. I guess they all are.

I am trying to get my stuff ready for the retreat, and need to get my sewing room cleaned up (maybe after I get my retreat stuff together). I also want to sandwich a UFO & get it quilted. I bought fabric for the backing so now there is no excuse! That should be enough for September!
    Sue

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I have three baby quilts that I have decided to machine quilt myself. My LA Quilter sold her machine :(.

Rita, I feel for ya and hope you get better quick. I was in a multi-roll over accident as a passenger in a car that went off the side of the road. Even to this day, if I am riding with someone and they get too close to the edge I panic. It has been 22 years!

Rebecca

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Making progress finally. I have a redwork project together and am starting to evaluate all the pitfalls of my friends quilt made from her wonky blocks. I'm stressing FMQ at the present.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rita, Hope the bruises are getting better and you aren't hurting as much today.

Need to sew the top borders together and then put on the 9PP. I'm putting them on as a unit. When you see it, you'll get my drift. @:) Have also completed a small redwork square and have fabric cut out for 5 of the BOM blocks. Besides the main block, there are blocks for the border if we want to do them, too, so I've been trying to keep up with those.

Need to get more redwork blocks traced...of course, it isn't on my list. I haven't felt like wrestling the tie quilt yet, but it'll happen.

SharonG/FL

• User
    12 years ago

Still can't push a quilt around on the machine, but it is gradually getting better. So I did a couple of little projects, I make simple little bookmarkers out of pretty scraps for gifts. My biggest problem right now is forcing myself to get behind the wheel. I can't imagine what a basket case I would be if I had suffered what you did, Rebecca. Here is one of the bookmarks:

{{!gwi}}

I'm just grateful I am able to do this, yes the angels were on duty that day. In the meantime the FMQ is sitting on the ironing board, waiting. I had to go around to the back of the machine so that I could loosen the nut to change the foot, couldn't do it with my hurt left hand. This opens up another thought, how in the world do men work on and repair these machines?? I mean, even with my tiny fingers, it is so exasperating to get in there and do anything in that small space, does anyone else have that problem?

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Rita, glad to see you were able to do small projects.Get well soon!
    I haven't posted my goals for quite some time because I haven't been making much progress on the DWR. I can now report that I am getting closer to the end. I have all 322 arcs completed and sewn to the melons. I had to do the frog stitch to way too many for this to be fun!
    My date with the long-arm quilter is November 28, the Monday following Thanksgiving. I don't want to be burning the midnight oil to get the top done so I am working on it now. The end is in sight!
    I told my friends to hit me in the head with a stick and put me out of my misery if I ever say I am making another DWR.
    This is my second queen size DWR. Enough is enough! LOL
    Linda OH

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Rita and Rebecca the drivers here scare me to death!! People coast instead of stopping at stop signs, they drive pass the lights and stop signs and slam on the breaks. You never now if they are going to stop or not. No one knows what directional arrows mean, or turn signals! Just this pass year the seat belt law was mandatory for trucks, even the governor fought it. Semi truck drivers coming at you when you have the right of way.
    Speed limit in front of my house is 45 and they drive 60.
    They all scare me!!!

Linda the DWR is on my to do list, looking forward to seeing yours.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok gals, it's fess-up time! What have you been up to? I'm ready to clear my sewing table and start back on the Tie Quilt. After working on blocks that aren't all that large, I have to gird my loins and get back at it!

Quilt the Crumby D9P - NOT DONE
    Re-sew half of the Tie Quilt - NOT DONE
    Do Sept BOM and BOW blocks - have worked on them both. The BOM takes 20 QST and have them almost completed.
    Sew the Wintery 9-Patch Pizzazz blocks together - DONE and have the borders on.

Am also working on the 2nd redwork block and made some more X-strings. Was playing around with the Crumb-a-long but didn't really enjoy it, so quit following it and made a few of my own blocks.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Oh no! Fess up time already!!

I have a quilt top done for the niece's dorm quilt that needs to be sandwiched and quilted. I think I'll use glow in the dark thread for the quilting. ALMOST DONE! JUST THE BINDING LEFT. GitD THREAD IS WORKING GREAT.

I'm ready to get started on the nephew's dorm quilt and I think I even have all the fabrics I need for it. Thinking about using a dark blue Minky for the backing on his. TOP DONE BUT NOT SANDWICHED. I DO HAVE ENOUGH OF THE BLUE MINKY SO THAT'S WHAT I'LL USE FOR THE BACK WITH A THIN FLANNEL BATTING

Non-quilting projects for the month:
    > get to work on recovering all of the cushions in my patio with mildew-resistant Sunbrella fabric. NOT EVEN STARTED!
    > move every thing out of the office, tear down the built-in bookcases along one wall to make room for the exercise equipment, rebuild the bookcases in the closet, paint the walls and then install the wood floor. I'm tired just thinking about it!ROOM CLEARED, WALLS SPACKLED AND PAINTED, CEILING PAINTED TOO! AND A NEW CEILING FAN INSTALLED. THINKING ABOUT REPLACING THE BI-FOLD CLOSET DOORS WITH SOME PRETTY MIRRORED ONES. NO NEW FLOORING LAID YET, SO NOTHING MOVED BACK IN. I'M LIVING IN A MESS.

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Update on the DWR: all the blocks are done and I am starting to sew them into rows. I will make it in 6 sections of 12 blocks for a total of 72 blocks. I hope to have the top done by the end of September. Yippeeeeeeeeee!!
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I can't believe you've made 2 DWRs. I can't imagine even attempting one!

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I machine quilted one of my baby quilts on Tuesday and got some kind of grease on the quilt top from my machine. Not happy! I got the majority of it out with dawn dish detergent. Hoping the rest will come out when I wash it. Need to bury all the thread tails and put on the binding. My great niece was born last week, so I don't feel too far behind on this one. The other two baby quilts will be going to my twin great nephews for Christmas, which also happens to be their first birthdays too.

Kate, I am in renovation hell since March. Hard to get anything done with a husband that works 13 hour days. Our master bedroom is torn up and have been sleeping on an air mattress for almost 2 months!

Rebecca

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Update:

I must finish my goodies for the retreat. DONEcolor>
    Finish getting games, prizes, and projects together for retreat. ALMOST DONEcolor>
    Get machines cleaned and ready to pack. Still using themcolor>
    Finish red/white baby quilt. DONEcolor>

I'm getting there.
    beverly

• calliope
    12 years ago

My quilting goals? Get the block I made in August out to miceyray for the lotto before the end of the month. We have had some renovations and repairs done in the old homestead and my hand has been wrapped around paint brushes and screw drivers and hammers. Nada. Nada, nada on the quilting.

I started knocking down a few cobwebs in the kitchen and went bezerk. I have been doing a total house cleaning. You know how one thing just leads to another? In that vein, I hit the fabrics in the sewing room and it took two days, but they're sorted again and in the proper boxes and about ten pounds of hidous fabric given to me, and all my smaller than 12" square scraps went in a big donation bag going to Goodwill for crafters. There is a family member visiting from Great Britain and I want to spend some time with her too.

I just simply took a month off from quilting to regroup and start it out again fresh with two almost finished UFOs next month.

• User
    12 years ago

September is the month to get our fall veggie crops in, my hand is much better from the car crash and I'm so far behind with the garden. It's hard not to use your off hand when you're busy in the yard. Managed to pick weeds and plant some beans and peas yesterday - hope to get the rest done this week before it's too late. (Might be too late for the beans, oh well, at least I'm trying.) Hand still aches with heavy use, don't know if I'll get to the FM quilting anyways soon or not. Just have to be patient. I could go ahead and do simpler things like piecing, but I'm one of those that likes to finish each project before moving on, I need to adjust my attitude about that but that's how I am. After reading the other post about quilting with disabilities I'm just grateful that this should just be temporary.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You girls that paint and renovate your homes put me to shame. I never even learned how to paint. The few times I tried, DH came along behind me and redid it so I figured, why try...but then, he is The Painter! The last time I mowed a lawn, I had a miscarriage, so I never did that again....been over 46 years ago. DH likes to have things done his way...now when there's a big project that needs doing, he waits til I go up north for a few months so I'm not here to make suggestions. lol You should see the pictures of him putting up the new living room ceiling by himself.....or the time he made a roof and then hauled it up to put on the laundry room he built (broke a window doing that one). And the list goes on...more recent, is having to empty the pantry, clean it out, seal what he said were cracks, paint and then wait days for it to dry before putting everything back in. All due to ants.
    Rita, Nice to hear you're to the achy part of recovery with your hand. Give it a good rest before doing any FM. You know that's what you should do. We don't want any lasting problems.

calliope, This is a good month to regroup....getting ready to git ur done when you get back to it. Some crafter will hit the jackpot when they go to Goodwill. You will make their day!

Beverly, I know you'll be all DONE by the end of the month!

Rebecca, I don't think I could sleep on an air mattress for that length of time.....getting up and down would be the worst part. Did you get the grease out of the quilt you're making?

LindaOH, Sooooo, when do you plan to make the next DWR??? huh? lol

Kate, You are a go-getter!!! Cannot believe your energy and multiple talents!

And, here I sit....I think I'll be an armchair enthusiast for you young whippersnappers. @:)

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't say that word to me for at least 10 years. lol
    Linda OH

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022