Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

BOM - Block of the Month?

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Remember 2010? Several of us were excited about doing a Block of the Month project. At the time, we tried to post a picture each month to show our progress and encourage one another to 'keep up the good work'. Two years later, and I'm not done. I did 5 blocks, then sort of fizzled out.

I've seen some posts recently about BOMs and thought it might be nice to post pictures of completed projects or offer words of support to those starting. I don't know that I'll get mine going again before 2013 but I would like to. Maybe I'll be inspired too.

So, have you done a Block of the Month project?

Did you enjoy it?

Did you finish it?

Any advice for those starting? (i.e., cut everything out first, arrange pieces by months, favorite method to use, fusible vs turned edge, machine vs hand, etc.)

Would you do it again?

Any great sites with BOM patterns, especially free ones?

Lastly, if you have a completed quilt or even just some blocks, post a picture!

Kate

Comments (61)

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I have done a number of BOMs and really enjoy doing them.
    Kate I love your blocks. I am not a fan of doing applique but do find it lovely.

Here is one a did as a Thangles Buck-a-Block. It is not finished because I thought it needed a final border and haven't found anything I like. My cousin said "looks done to me, quilt it, bind it and call it done"! lol

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Isn't it interesting how different we all are?

Block of the Month - for me this would be torture. I want to start and finish a project. A quilt hanging around for months while I waited for the next package to arrive in the mail would just plain tick me off, LOL.

It's also the reason I do not ever do mystery quilts - GAH! commit expensive fabric to something I may hate? Never. I have saved many directions for mystery quilts, but, honestly, I never liked a single one quite enough to sew it.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

my sister started a BOM via Joann's Fabrics, I think, probably several years ago. For whatever reason, she never finished and then the blocks or patterns were no longer available. There are probably four to six blocks from that group that are now part of one of my dearest treasures: a 'Heart' quilt that she, one of our other sisters, and I worked on. Patty, of course, did most of the work and almost all the designing. EVERY block has a heart somewhere in it!! It's such a treasure!!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Tuppermom...I agree with you. It needs a border, but I don't know what it would be so maybe your cousin's right after all!

Beth7happy...Beautiful. You're lucky to not only have sisters, but sisters who share your interest in quilting.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Kate, I realized I didn't answer your questions. For both BOMs I decided up front to commit to it and bought fabrics. The nice thing about a BOM as opposed to a mystery is that a picture of the finished quilt is usually shown up front, so you know what you'll get! You can also decide if you want to change a color or something.

I enjoyed them both...it was easy to make one block a month and I looked forward to the next pattern each month.

I've only done these two because in general I'm not fond of samplers. I like the CW war one much better, I think because the blocks basically look the same with small variations.

Tuppermom, I like yours a lot - the complicated sashing adds a lot! I think it's done just as it is. I think another border would detract from the pieced sashing. Just my opinion. :)

Donna

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

OK- I admit it. I also did the BOM in 2010 and didn't finish. I started with the first five blocks, which look blue in the picture but are actually purple, and then started the in-between blocks sort of like mariner's compass. I got disgusted over something that wasn't working right and put it away and haven't seen it since.

I guess I should try again. With a PP lesson from Jen, I am better at PP now and maybe finishing up a UFO would do me good and "fluff my aura".

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I hope "fluffing your aura" isn't painful. LOL
    Theresa

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I am frustated at the moment. I also was working on the BOM in 2010---The 12 days of Christmas applique---I too didn't finish but was pretty near the end of the blocks but put it away. YES I put it away so well that I have no idea as to where it is, if it weren't so funny I would cry because there was a lot of work represented with those blocks.
    I was so impressed with all the lovily things people were showing that I thought I might try and finish it-------------------that is if I every find it.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Toolgranny...looks like your aura's ok those appliqu� blocks are amazing.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

That mess didn't show in the post??? This forum doesn't support accent marks, but usually just leaves a black spot.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Gorgeous BOMs ladies! I am always impressed with applique.

I also think my bright and turquoise needs something ....perhaps just a 2 or 3 inch border of the turquoise to frame it.

Here is another BOM I did a few years back.
    I am doing another one now and will take some pictures of the blocks so far and post later.

{{!gwi}}

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Stunning, Mary.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Here's another one.

Our LQS used to have a yearly one. You paid a fee ahead for a 12" block a month for a whole year. You came in first Saturday of the month and picked up a block kit. They were all kitted up ahead with fabric and instructions and you could arrange for them to be mailed. They were only for the set number who had signed up. It included the dark green for sashing and yellow for cornerstones that match the flower-like corners. It would be pretty put together and I must do that. It didn't include border fabric but I think I have some around here I bought for it.

It looks like a quilt some little girl would like.

• empress
    11 years ago

littlehelen, do you know the name of the middle block in the second row of your red, white and black blocks? It has a 4-patch inside a red square and bricks surrounding. I haven't see that before, but it sure looks interesting. Either the name of the block or of the BOM series would probably help. Lovely blocks. I'd love to see it when you finish.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Tuppermom...love the brights set in black!

Toolgranny
    Wouldn't be out of place anywhere. It reminds me of Christmas cactus. REally pretty and interesting the way the corners meet to make a new pattern.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Here are by BOMs from the LQS 2011

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

And here are the BOM from the LQS so far for 2012

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, I love the carmel/ivory/white one! These blocks are beautiful! I'm not usually crazy about sampler quilts but these are just gorgeous.

Toolgranny, I still love your lavender applique pieces. I'm in awe of your little circles. Mine never come out that round! Maybe we can both get back to our projects soon!

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Here's another one I finally finished this year. It's by Sindy Rodenmeyer from 2008. I think I kept up with the blocks, but then they went into the project box for a while. Finally assembled the top last year and quilted it this year. The blocks are hand applique.

Donna

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Oh, I just love that, Donna. But, then, I'm always a sucker for applique. I love the colors, too. Did your LQS do it as a BOM or was it on her website?

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Beautiful Donna! Love the colors!

Thanks Kate! I fell in love with the color choice of the 2011 BOM and it ended up it was the advanced group....:( I learned a lot though and my accuracy got better too.

For 2012 I am back in the "average" group....the advanced group is using oriental fabrics...not my favorite.

Love seeing all the BOMs....keep them coming!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

OK, what am I missing? msmeow says there's a picture and others saw it, but it's not on my screen.

tuppermom, those are all gorgeous.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

After I posted the above it showed up! Amazing and beautiful.

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Wow! This was like our own quilt show...amazing work, Gals! You all are so talented!
    A feast for the eyes!

Can't praise you all enough!
    Gwen

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

This is a BOM that I did at the LQS and set it together with the BB2 pattern. I tend to do the blocks each month but not finish the quilt till much later.
    Linda OH

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I do the same thing Linda. Very interesting layout for your BOM

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the layout and the colors. Very fresh and contemporary!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Like the look. What's a BB2?

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

I'd like to know what is a BB2, as well, Linda That's a beautiful quilt...great colors and that layout is awesome!

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I misspoke.. the pattern is BQ2 and showcases large prints. I used my BOM instead of the large prints.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful:

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

VERY clever way to make a great quilt using only 12 blocks! I'm going to have to remember this.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Toolgranny, it's called Baltimore Blues and it was on her website, free at the time. You may be able to buy it now. After this one she did a similar one in pinks.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Thanks, what a great way to showcase blocks. Yet another gotta have it pattern!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Linda: love your quilt...it has to go on the project list!
    Valarie

• empress
    11 years ago

littlehelen--Valarie,

Do you know the name of the middle block in the second row of your red, white and black blocks? It has a 4-patch inside a red square and bricks surrounding. I haven't see that before, but it sure looks interesting. Either the name of the block or of the BOM series would probably help.

Lovely blocks. I'd love to see it when you finish.

empress--Valerie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jayne, have you found those missing blocks yet?!?

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Empress...so sorry...I thought I responded, probably didn't hit submit...anyway the block is Bento Box, it was Kate's selection for the april or may lotto this year. I just love it and made a few.
    If you do a search lotto 2012 and bento, the post w/the directions should pop up in the search.
    Valarie

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

No, Kate, I have not. VERY frustrating but everytime I change things in that room things disappear. I have not stopped looking.lol

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Val,
    What's the 3rd one in the 3rd row? Bottom right corner. Diamond in a diamond. I like that and could see adding it to the lotto next year.

Kate

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Okay, I went looking again.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh Jayne, those are stunnIng!
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea! Glad you found them!

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Jayne, your blocks are beautiful! So glad you found them!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Nanajayne...Your blocks are spectacular...good thing you found them!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

nanyjayne, WOW! Again, people who can appliqu� amaze me. Beautiful.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I will try and get a picture of my Dear Jane. I finally am caught up (yeah!!), but haven't taken a picture in a while. I'm waiting on month 14/24, so I'm over half way there (another, yeah!!).

I also have another BOM quilt that I brought out last night. I'm only on month 7/12 on it. I'll try and post some pics of that one too.

I love all the quilts I've seen posted here. Jayne, I'd love to do the 12 days of Christmas one you have.

Robbi

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Robbi, You can find it in Quilter Cache.

• patti60
    11 years ago

i have done several block of the month quilts thru our quilt stores. but they have been claimed, by family members. i have one i did with cats i did over the internet and i kept that one. they are fun to do. but yesterday went to another town and the fabric was 12.99 a yard. so i have been trying to use my stash. trying to finish up my bazzar projects. you ladies have done some very nice quilts and good color combinations.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Lovely quilts, everyone! I have not done a BOM yet, but that's not to say one is not in my future.

I'm glad to hear someone else say that they don't do mystery quilts. I absolutely would not plunk down good money to make a quilt sight unseen. I have too many on my to do list as it is.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I first heard about mystery quilts I was eager to give it a try; it just sounded so clever! But I couldn't participate that first time and was shocked at how ugly the quilt was when I saw pictures of the finished product! That cured me! I don't believe I'll ever do one, although I watch the Bonnie Hunter project every year. She makes some beautiful quilts... and some dogs too!!! (sorry Bonnie!)

We should probably note that a BOM doesn't have to be done just one block per month. If you have a pattern book, for example, or a theme you are following, then make them at your own speed. Often, BOM projects are intricate enough so it helps to spread out the project over time and to encourage yourself to keep up with it by setting a monthly goal. That's why I started my applique as a BOM. It's my first applique and even the BOM posts didn't help me keep up with it.