Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Check out what I made yesterday...

Robbi D.
11 years ago

I left work early to go to a class to make this cute iron tote bag. Closed up it holds an iron and opened up, it makes an ironing surface (I'll add the pic in the next post). I didn't get to see the fabric choice until after I got to class, I just told them to pick something out in red. All the ladies (including myself) loved the red and wished they had chosen it, too.

Robbi

Comments (19)

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the picture of it opened up. I'd like to find the teflon fabric to make more. It's finished measurement is about 26"x20".

Robbi

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

that's just darling. That would sure make a good thing for class. And, you can put a warm iron inside as you leave. Thanks for the tip.

• jackier123
    11 years ago

That is adorable! Love the red too.

Jackie

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The teacher said she puts a silicon pad (iron rest) in hers so she can carry a hot iron.

It was funny that some of the ladies called it a biscuit warmer. With a little different lining, it could be that!

Robbi

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Robbi, that's so cute! Where can we get the pattern?

Donna

• susan_on
    11 years ago

Very nice! I really like that!

• calliope
    11 years ago

That is so cute, and practical for someone who needs to tote an iron. Never was into crafty-quilt stuff until I started accumulating extra blocks for one reason or another and have found they can be used for so many practical things. I have two casserole totes I made last year and they've been put to good purpose for church and family pot lucks. Yes, the red looks old-fashioned and very cheerful!

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Really good idea and so cute! I like the red fabric too.

• Joan Dupuis
    11 years ago

So cute. Red was a good choice.

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I like it! I would love to find the teflon fabric also, I want it for another project and just can not seem to find it anywhere.
    This is just too cute, I could see where it would come in handy for a lot of people who travel, pageant moms, competition moms,,,ect..... :)

:) Aqua

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Perfect! Love it! I have a small iron in a bag and a little ironing pad but this is far, far cuter and more clever.

Joann's carries thermal fabric that would work.

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

Is there a printed pattern for this?

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found the heat resistant fabric at a few places on-line for about $7/yard. It is called therma-flec. We talked in class that Joanna's sells some but it is quilted. The pattern calls for 2 layers of batting, so you could probably use the stuff from Joann's and just one more layer of batting. You can find the pattern on-line. It is made by sisters' common thread and it comes with the heat fabric. You can google iron tote pattern and find it, too.

Robbi

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Oh I love it! Thanks for sharing a picture of that.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Love it...what a great idea!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

So cute and I love both the design and color of the red fabric.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Very cute. Will have to keep that in mind.

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

That is adorable and so handy. I've been wanting to make myself one but I don't really need it, I don't travel with my iron. Apparently, I just want to make clothes for it! LOL

The pattern is by Sisters' Common Thread, and it comes in 2 sizes, one for regular sized irons and another for the little travel sized ones.

Ooops, I see where someone else mentioned who makes the pattern. :)

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I bought the silver "fabric" at Joann Fabrics in the Buffalo area. It is not quilted and was about $9 a yard but with a coupon only paid $4.50 yd. A member of my guild made one at a workshop of the other guild she belongs to and showed it to us at our retreat last year. I found a free pattern for it online.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus