Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check out what I made yesterday...

Posted by lafonda_ranch (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 9:24

I left work early to go to a class to make this cute iron tote bag. Closed up it holds an iron and opened up, it makes an ironing surface (I'll add the pic in the next post). I didn't get to see the fabric choice until after I got to class, I just told them to pick something out in red. All the ladies (including myself) loved the red and wished they had chosen it, too.

Robbi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check out what I made yesterday...

Here is the picture of it opened up. I'd like to find the teflon fabric to make more. It's finished measurement is about 26"x20".

Robbi

o

that's just darling. That would sure make a good thing for class. And, you can put a warm iron inside as you leave. Thanks for the tip.

o

That is adorable! Love the red too.

Jackie

o

The teacher said she puts a silicon pad (iron rest) in hers so she can carry a hot iron.

It was funny that some of the ladies called it a biscuit warmer. With a little different lining, it could be that!

Robbi

o

Robbi, that's so cute! Where can we get the pattern?

Donna

o

Very nice! I really like that!

o

That is so cute, and practical for someone who needs to tote an iron. Never was into crafty-quilt stuff until I started accumulating extra blocks for one reason or another and have found they can be used for so many practical things. I have two casserole totes I made last year and they've been put to good purpose for church and family pot lucks. Yes, the red looks old-fashioned and very cheerful!

o

Really good idea and so cute! I like the red fabric too.

o

So cute. Red was a good choice.

o

I like it! I would love to find the teflon fabric also, I want it for another project and just can not seem to find it anywhere.
This is just too cute, I could see where it would come in handy for a lot of people who travel, pageant moms, competition moms,,,ect..... :)

:) Aqua

o

Perfect! Love it! I have a small iron in a bag and a little ironing pad but this is far, far cuter and more clever.

Joann's carries thermal fabric that would work.

Kate

o

Is there a printed pattern for this?

o

I found the heat resistant fabric at a few places on-line for about $7/yard. It is called therma-flec. We talked in class that Joanna's sells some but it is quilted. The pattern calls for 2 layers of batting, so you could probably use the stuff from Joann's and just one more layer of batting. You can find the pattern on-line. It is made by sisters' common thread and it comes with the heat fabric. You can google iron tote pattern and find it, too.

Robbi

o

Oh I love it! Thanks for sharing a picture of that.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Love it...what a great idea!
V.

o

So cute and I love both the design and color of the red fabric.

o

Very cute. Will have to keep that in mind.

o

That is adorable and so handy. I've been wanting to make myself one but I don't really need it, I don't travel with my iron. Apparently, I just want to make clothes for it! LOL

The pattern is by Sisters' Common Thread, and it comes in 2 sizes, one for regular sized irons and another for the little travel sized ones.

Ooops, I see where someone else mentioned who makes the pattern. :)

o

I bought the silver "fabric" at Joann Fabrics in the Buffalo area. It is not quilted and was about $9 a yard but with a coupon only paid $4.50 yd. A member of my guild made one at a workshop of the other guild she belongs to and showed it to us at our retreat last year. I found a free pattern for it online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here