Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Pfaff Expressions 3 or 4

nannykins
11 years ago

Does anyone own these machines? Comments?

My 25 year old Pfaff, which I love, has been giving me grief lately so yesterday I went off to the local dealer to check out what's new. These were the two latest models they had.

I came home and googled reviews and now I am torn between the two. PE 4 has some features that seem good but a lot of the reviews were negative.

The store also carried Janome and I know we have some loyal J. fans here.

There have been so many posts lately about new machines that I hate to repeat all the info. I guess I am looking specifically for reviews of the Pfaff. Thanks everyone.

Theresa

Comments (6)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Theresa, From what I read, the PE4 is not for a beginner, so maybe the negative remarks came from a novice. Your best bet would probably be to sit down and actually give it a trial run at the store with some squares.....make a four or nine patch.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Theresa~I am a Pfaff fan; I own 3 Pfaff's :~).
    I do not own the 3 or 4, but I considered each in 2008. They were brand new to the market at that time. The 4 was simply out of my price range. I compared the 3 and the Quilt Expressions 2048 - reduced floor model to make room for the new model. The 2048 had more stitch options than the 3. The price of the 2048 won. I lusted for the extra room and light on the 3 for a long time!!!! My purchase was not a planned purchase. My 40 year old Pfaff broke down-completely my fault-timing issue I caused - but parts were getting harder to find......so when I dropped it off to be serviced, I walked out with a new machine - yikes! That new machine made me find the time to learn to quilt with modern products. Had I been an avid quilter, I may have made another choice - but perhaps not.
    You need to answer a few more questions on how you want to use the machine - what you want to sew....and if you will benefit from all the wonderful features. For me, upgrading to an Electronic machine was stepping into a new world, and my 2048 is pretty basic compared to the fancy machines!

Both of these machines are going to sew beautifully, so that's no help! It is the features. when I get a chance, I'll compare them, if you want. I love spending other peoples' money - hahahaha....I am excited for you ~ and a bit jealous.

I think the 4 had a module problem for a while....did you read anything about that?

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also own a Husqvarna Designer 1, (which I don't use that much because I like the Pfaff more) and reading the specs of the 2 Pfaff machines, there are a lot of similarities so I don't think there would be much of a learning curve.
    What really got my attention was the wide throat space, great for machine quilting, no more stuffing and pushing.
    I guess I have to do some more research (read Google) and as long as my present machine keeps ticking along, it is not absolutely necessary to buy new.
    But if you would like to do a comparison, I would appreciate it. Thanks
    Theresa

• missflippins
    11 years ago

Since you haven't had many replies I thought I'd tell you my experience with Pfaff. I purchased the Expression 2 last September so I've had the machine for a year now and I'm happy with it. I would have purchased the 3, but since the 2 was being phased out, I got what I thought was a very good price (Canadian) $800.00. I have an old Bernina 830 from the early 70's and was a fan of Bernina, but since I couldn't find one locally, I chose to go with a local dealer who sells Pfaff and so far I'm glad I did as this machine has opened up a whole new world for me. I would love to have had the 3 or 4 for the extra fancy stitches and other bells and whistles. The gal in the shop advised me to take the 2, especially since I was new to quilting and she thought that it would be more user friendly. It may be that she wanted to get rid of the Expression 2!

Of course, the sewing machine was a drop in the bucket compared to what I have spent on all the extra feet, table, stash, rulers etc. etc. When I think back, the sewing machine was really a great bargain! Just my 2 cents.

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey missflippins, we have the same birthday! And where are you in Canada? I am in Windsor, Ontario.
    Thanks for your input also.
    The difference in price between the 3 and the 4 seemed a bit high but included were the table and some other goodies or it would come without and of course, cost less.
    I am still considering. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
    Theresa

• missflippins
    11 years ago

Hi Theresa,

I live in eastern Maple Ridge, BC which is very close to Mission. So, I'm really on the edge of the Fraser Valley. I guess there are so many good sewing machines today, like many things there are too many choices making a decision harder. I must admit that when I purchased my Pfaff, I really was leary about it, but after a year and all is well, I guess, for once, I made a good decision and was lucky.

I have just put my first order into "Sew Sisters" in Ontario. Have you ordered fabric from them, and were you pleased with it? We have a wonderful online shop in Chilliwack, BC "Hamels Quilt Shop" where I have placed most of my orders. Maple Ridge is a kind of sleepy little town where it is hard to find a spool of thread, but the scenery and fresh air is wonderful.

I will have to remember our "Birthday" when it comes up next year. So, your Birthstone is a "diamond" too. Aren't we lucky!
    Corinne