Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Two projects finished!

teresa_nc7
9 years ago

Recently finished:

hand woven baby blanket, cream and pale blue, crochet on the edges, fringe on the ends

scrappy baby quilt, Shoo Fly blocks alternated with plain blocks, 1930's reproduction and vintage fabrics

Comments (25)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Teresa, Your hand woven blanket looks soft and cuddly and rich! Gorgeous! With the off set plain white square, the Shoo-fly baby quilt is very eye-appealing and gives the appearance of being traditional which I really like. Good work!!!

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Teresa, the hand woven blanket is beautiful! Just like Sharon said - it looks so soft and cuddly.
    I love the on-point setting of the shoo fly. It made a lovely quilt!

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Loving the Shoo fly quilt. Big fan of 30s.
    Would love to wrap in the blanket!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

I love both of them! Is the hand woven blanket made of cotton?
    Linda OH

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

OMG hand woven? absolutely stunning! then add crochet edging, OMG!!!!

I love the shoofly blocks, and the quilting is perfect. I love quilting, but I'm seeing more and more where the quilt blocks are lost in all of the quilting.

Love them both !

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

They are both beautiful! You are multitalented.
    Linda/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Beautiful blanket! Is this for the newest grand nephew? Your work is so pretty.

I always like the Shoo-fly block. It looks especially good in the setting with the plain blocks. Your diagonal quilting looks perfect.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Another comment about the quilting.
    I tend to shy away from patterns that have a lot of open space because i dont FMQ but what you have done makes me think again about those patterns.
    Thank you
    Theresa

• procrastinator
    9 years ago

How wonderful!!!!

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the kind remarks - it means a lot to me. This has been a year of un-productivity (due to the knee pain and surgery) so I am very happy to have finished anything at all.

The woven blanket is just acrylic yarn that came with the loom when I bought it second hand. It is now listed in my Etsy shop.

I have not been pleased with my FM quilting lately, so I'm going to work on it. I am of the "git er done" camp and find straight line quilting so much less stressful than FM. I can't afford a $$$$$ dollar machine right now so I either try to improve on my FM quilting with the machine I have or it will be the walking foot for me.The Shoo Fly quilt also went in my Etsy shop.

Teresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Teresa, Both are just beautiful!!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Loving that woven blanket, it will sell quickly. And the Shoo Fly is such a happy quilt. Good job, glad you are feeling better.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Those are both great! What size is your new loom? must be big to do something of that size. DD tried a table loom at camp in August and now wants one!

Love the Shoo-Fly quilt...how bright and cheery! I'm in the walking-foot-camp myself...much more do-able.

• amazingcm
    9 years ago

Wow and Wow Just Beautiful..

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I agree with Sharon the woven throw looks very soft. They both look lovely. Congrats on finishing them.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Teresa, what lovely projects. Your woven blanket is beautiful and warm-looking. And my favorite concept in quilts right now is lots of white. You did a great job on both of them. Lucky babies.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Nice projects! I want to touch that woven blanket!

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jennifer, get that girl a Cricket!! She will love it, it's the loom I brought to the retreat last year and wove a scarf. I've seen pics on Ravelry of children barely 5 yrs. old weaving on a Cricket.

I knew that "someday" I would get a slightly larger rigid heddle loom, and boom! there someone was selling one on Ravelry, and glory be! she lives in Raleigh, only an hour or so east of me. This happened when I was still in my buy-all-your-toys-now-so-you-will-have-them-when-you-retire phase.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

You have to be very proud of both of our projects. They both are a delight. I have always been fascinated with looms but never had the space to have one. Lucky you.
    I truly like the baby quilt and the quilting really is perfect for it. I like the simplicity of it. Congratulations and TFS.

• wendyfaye
    9 years ago

I'm in agreement with everyone else, both are beautiful and best of all,,,done. :). Glad to see you are still weaving.

Faye

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jayne, I also thought you had to have a dedicated space and mega bucks to have a loom, but that was before I learned about rigid heddle looms. The link below shows looms of different sizes and various companies. Schacht makes the Cricket and the Flip; my larger loom is an Ashford. The looms shown on the Woolery site are all good quality. I have a 9' Cricket and my Ashford is 24' wide and the loom I used for the baby blanket above.

There are Ravelry groups dedicated to the rigid heddle looms that offer support and lots of inspiration. I will be happy to answer any questions I can if you want to email me.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Rigid Heddle looms on Woolery

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

TY for the inf. on RHL's. It does sound interesting and affordable. I assume it folds up to a reasonable size when not in use. Is it difficult to put on the warping and is the warping board essential? I really don't need a new toy but it does look like fun.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of the looms fold up; my Ashford is on a stand and resides in my "computer" room, aka the junk room. I don't use a warping board although I have one for the larger Ashford - the previous owner had her husband make her one and she included it when she sold everything to me.

Just think about what you want to weave to decide what size you might buy. A loom from 18" to 24" will allow you to make scraves, linen kitchen towels, table runners, shawls, and even yardage. The smaller looms will make lots of scarves. You can even weave small purses on these looms. I made about 3 glasses cases on my Cricket, making up the pattern as I went along.

Watch the video at the link under the Ashford, the demonstrator shows how easy this is. Also, there are lots of videos on RHLs on YouTube.

Teresa

• fran1523
    9 years ago

How sweet. Those will both sell quickly on your Etsy site. I love them both.

• mexicomarti
    9 years ago

I always wanted to weave,and now that I have the time, I no longer have the interest or patience. That is the downside to buying your toys for when you retire. Sometimes your interests take a different turn.

I really love the woven blanket.