Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Weekend question...Sept. 7-9

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I don't plan to sew this weekend. My kids are all coming home and we hope to winterize and close the pool while we have them here to help.

Yesterday I went to the Door Mouse with 6 friends. It is a quilt shop with 14000 bolts of fabric. Everything is arranged by color. It can be overwhelming to the first time visitor.

Are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: The Door Mouse quilt shop

Comments (29)

• calliope
    11 years ago

.......14000 bolts of fabric?.........hyperventilating, and palms sweating. LOL.

Yes, a bit here, a bit there. Just about ready to go up to the sewing room now and think I'll spend a little time tidying up the stash. Ever notice how stashes escape and go wild when you get into them?

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Not me. I'm driving up to my home town where my high school class is throwing ourselves a 70th birthday party. Worth celebrating don't you think?

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I think the stash escapes while we are sleeping and plays little games.
    No sewing here, wedding tomorrow. I may sit down and actually order some fabric online though. I guess that qualifies as quilting!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I'm working on a raw edge applique wall hanging. It's a new technique for me where you build the components on a pressing sheet then fuse them to the background. I have everything built except the 2 hibiscus flowers, so that's my weekend project.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Wow, LindaOH, 14000 bolts of fabric???? I would be confused for sure......but it would be a fun way to spend the day!

I'm still not all together here but do a little bit every time I get up. My RLC charms and gifties are ready for retreat and hopefully I can get the pieces cut today for the PP class. Would really like to get the sewing machine set up today, too, and do some sewing.

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Since I finished up both quilts for our guild show - YAY! - I can spend some time packing up my projects for the retreat and maybe get a jacket cut out of my new pattern. But what I really need to do is clean my house and slash back the jungle shrubbery in my yard.

Teresa

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Today we are going to hit a matinee movie, stop by Hancock Fabric for more backing, then get the grands for the weekend. Tomorrow we will go to Troy to enjoy a football game with DD and the grands. Sunday the boys go home and I can sew. Gotta get started back on the trail run quilts.

beverly

• polardream
    11 years ago

Just finishing up loading the RV and then we are heading to the mountains for the weekend. We will be back Sunday night for the Broncos/Steelers game - go Broncos!
    Have a fun weekend.
    Sue

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

WOW- sounds like a shop I would love to visit!
    I am canning Salsa today then we are headed to Montreal for DDs final recital for her Master's Degree. She was only home for 3 weeks this summer (in May) so can't wait to see her.
    I may take some handwork to do in the van and hotel room.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I have a funeral and my sis's 50th birthday party. Have a great weelemd everyone!
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Sue RVing in the mountains sounds like a wonderful weekend! We are RV'ers too. :-)Well I am continuing to hand quilt my Grandma's quilt this weekend - I am almost finished with the middle row of the quilt - so almost half done - yeah! :-) We are suppose to get a cold front tonight which will drop our triple digit heat down to upper 80's so am hoping to spend some time weeding the garden. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Sunday is my one day off this weekend, so I'm hoping for thunderstorms which will give me the perfect excuse to stay indoors and do some sewing. I'm not really feeling ambitious, so we'll see what happens.
    Dan

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Tuppermom, is your daughter getting a music degree? Vocal, instrumental? Inquiring minds want to know...I am a musician, too. :)

Donna

• jackier123
    11 years ago

I am totally off work this weekend, which does not happen much since I usually teach on Saturdays. This is the break between quarters so I get a whole 2 days to sew! I plan on mostly getting things ready and packed for the retreat. The pattern that I am working on requires a lot of cutting. I oiled and cleaned my travel machine last night, it is packed and ready to go. I will probably over pack but that is ok. LOL

Jackie

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Donna
    Our DD's degree is in Vocal Performance - Classical. She has been singing all her life and knew what she wanted to do from a very early age. She would love to go to Europe to study and work where the Arts are very well supported. First she has to get a job to pay off some student loans.

Thanks for your interest.

Mary

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I thinks it's just retreat prep weekend for me. Looking forward to the cold front like Sandra so I can attack the weeks that seem to surround the house.
    Congrats to your DD Mary! How special for all of you...I love music, but can't even hand carry a tune :-)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Mary, that is wonderful! Congratulations to your DD. I would love to hear her sing. I've been "into" classical music since my teens. Started out as a music ed major and quickly found out the ed part was NOT for me! So now music is just a hobby. I've played clarinet since 6th grade, played in the handbell choir at church for 20+ years, sang in the choir for a long time (stopped that a few years ago), and occasionally play alto sax when one is needed at church.

Valarie, your comment is funny! DH is also a musician, but his comment about non-singers is they can't carry a tune in a paper bag. :)

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Mary, what an exciting culmination of all her work. Have a wonderful time and I hope she makes it to Europe soon.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone...DD's recital was great and I am in awe of her! I used to hear her sing on a regular basis when she was oing her undergrad. She was only 435 min from home so I would often go to hear her in Master Classes and noonhour concerts. For her Masters she was 7 hours away so not too many opportunities to hear her. Her voice has matured so much over the last year!
    She does have youtube videos and will post tonights recital soon. You can find her under Melissa Van Dijk Soprano. There are videos up from 3rd year of her undergrad so you can hear the difference.

Thanks
    Mary

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Wow....435 minutes from home...lol....should be 45 minutes!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I didn't get any time to sew this weekend. :~((

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Awww, poor Kate! I hope your work crisis has been resolved. And is McQueen all better from his thread adventure?

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't do any sewing this weekend either. I cooked for the family and played with the grandson. He is ready to start crawling but gets around by scooting. He looks just like his daddy (my DS) did at that age. He will be 6 months on the 18th. We had a LOT of fun with him this weekend.
    Today I am working on my Dots on Dots project. My blog will be featured on the 17th so I have to get it finished soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dots on Dots Blog Hop

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Mary, I just listened to some of your daughter's songs...she has a beautiful voice!

Donna

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna. She is in the process of putting Saturday's recital up as well.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

McQueen is fine and back to his regular bad-boy self.

The work crisis was finally resolved tonight; just 4 days after it started. We only made the news on a couple channels and the federal EPA people left earlier this evening. It could have been much worse.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! Sounds like plenty of action on the job.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Kate, what's going on, did I miss something exciting?

beverly

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Weekend is just over and we drove from the bay area to Ely, Nevada, and back, over 1000 miles just to see trains. What a trip. The dessert is much more beautiful than I'd have ever thought. But, it's sure good to be home. They have no quilt shops by the way.

Next I fly to Hungry Horse, Montana, Friday for a memorial service of a good friend. Wonder if they will have any quilt shops.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax