Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Sept. 6-8

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I know the lucky peeps who are attending the retreat are quilting this weekend! I hope to do some sewing on one or two of my current projects. I am working on several items for Christmas but haven't made much progress lately.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (18)

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Quilting late; quilting early; even dreaming about quilting! WooHOO!

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh yes, we are having a great time.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I sure hope so, Linda! I was going to try and pretend I was at retreat, but sitting here at 8:45am with coffee and there isn't an awesome chef in sight to prepare me an awesome breakfast, I guess I'll just have to let that slide by and have some toast.

I finished some pillowcases yesterday and got out the Maverick Stars I had started last year. I'm doing them all in plaid with a cream background, but since I don't have a lot of plaid, will have to use the same fabric over and over and over again.....which is ok, I guess, since it will give it some continuity. Plus, I can always go to the thrift store and pick up some more plaid shirts. lol

I also have some pinwheel log cabins I need to sew together.....not sure what to do about borders yet. I really dislike making log cabins but since each block begins in a corner and not the center, it probably isn't a true Log Cabin.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie Hunter's Maverick Stars

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Yes, I plan to! I have one more donation top I'd like to put together. I have my hand applique project all packed and ready to go when we leave for our cruise next Friday morning! Woohoo...it's finally almost here!

Donna

• day2day
    10 years ago

Yes, sewing is already in progress. Just took a tea break. I sewed the binding to the front of a baby quilt and plan to hand sew it to the back this evening.
    I bought some muslin yesterday to use as a backing for a full-sized quilt. When I laid it out this morning, I realized that I hadn't bought enough!! Back to the store sometime this afternoon and hopefully I can get the sandwiching started before night creeps upon me.

Sharon, I like the MS pattern. It's on my 'to-try' list.

Linda, I have some Xmas runners/ placemats and toppers done. Need to get them quilted. Having problems deciding what to use for batting. I've had lots of suggestions...Pellon, needlepunch cotton, flannel, wool felt, regular cotton batting, old sheets, etc. Any other ideas?

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I started working on my parents' quilt last weekend. I am continuing to hand-sew the 100 blocks together for their Card Tricks quilt this weekend. Attaching a pic of my progress from earlier in the week. Right now am just sewing the blocks in rows, by next week I hope to start sewing rows to rows. My goal is to have their quilt top finished with 6" borders by the end of September. I have not decided yet if I will sew the long border strips on to the quilt with the sewing machine. Hope every one enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

Sandra............I am in love with this quilt! Oh, so, awesome. I would have never thought of this fabric combination, but it works on so many levels.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I may put the cross stitch aside and do the Lotto blocks.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    10 years ago

AARGH!!!
    I put down the needle and threads and started a Lotto block. It is soooo long since I have done machine sewing, that I was making all kinds of "stupid" mistakes. And my machine was mad at me for ignoring it and gave me a few moments of grief. Anyway, have one done and the fabric is there for a couple more,,, after I have my nap.
    Theresa

• calliope
    10 years ago

Just so I could say yes, I did go sew on some outer border to the QIP, two more strips to go and she's ready to start sandwiching. Just got in from tearing out two rows of tomato plants who have given up. LOL Five rows are still cranking and hope to nurse them on until frost.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I'm not quilting this weekend... possibly attempting to embroider, but not quilting. I even skipped the sit and sew tonight because I'm just too tired to drive an hour in this scary weather we're having... severe thunder storms and lightning and thunder like crazy. The poor cat is hiding under the bed and won't come out :-/

I went to Joanns earlier and got some stabilizer and needles and rayon thread from the Viking desk in an effort to try to reduce puckering when embroidering. Their prices were actually better than the stuff on the shelf of the store and their stuff seemed to be better quality too. Apparently, my machine doesn't like Sulky stabilizer, Schmetz needles, or polyester thread, so I wanted to try some alternatives to see if I get better results. I was all set to play with the new supplies when the weather turned ugly quickly... of course I made a mad dash for the Bernina (nearly tripping over the ironing board in the process) and snatched the cord out of the wall, completely forsaking all other electronics/appliances :O) That's where my priorities lie... not taking any chances of it getting zapped, even with a serge protector. So, I can't try the new supplies out to see if they help yet or not until the weather becomes tame.

I did also get one of those small square mats that is an ironing surface on one side and rotary mat on the other... I thought it would be handy for taking to classes.

I'm sure the people at the retreat are having an awesome time and I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories of the event!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, we sure have had some wild weather lately, haven't we? I love thunderstorms!

Donna

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

I am finally sewing together the blocks for my son & his partner's quilt. It will be their Christmas present. I've been working on it all year & it's finally coming together. Photo will come soon
    Kristene

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Donna, the weather has been wild! The poor tourists at Disney must wonder if they really came to the sunshine state or not. It's either blazing hot or pouring rain!

I enjoy thunderstorms too if I don't have to go anywhere during one and am not trying to use an appliance or electronic while they are happening (which is virtually never!)... :o)

Are you still thinking about a new machine? Did you ever sell your serger?

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, I am still thinking about a new machine. :) I think maybe early next year finances will be such that I can start to look. I sold my serger to a friend in the guild, so it's not taking up space on my sewing table any more!

Donna

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Lack of internet and sleep have made posting difficult. Jennifer and I were up sewing till 4:30 this morning. I have started with the coffee bright and early already. The quilt show will begin this afternoon, we will post pictures when they are all hung. (If Val has 4G available).

beverly

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Calliope, I went with blue and green for my Dad and threw in the pink/blue/green/white floral for my Mom.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Oooh! Pretty quilt. I can't even imagine doing that by hand!
    LindaB/CA