Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

QOTD 9/13/11 - Mini Quilts

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Inspired by Linda's posting of her mini quilt and the mini's posted not long ago by Donna (was it Donna?), I thought this might be a good subject.

So, who makes minis? Do you do them for guild auctions or for other purposes? What's the smallest you've ever made? Do you use paper piecing to get the tiny parts that sharp or another method?

Kate

Comments (15)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I LOVE mini's and have a few plans in the works for some right now.

I think my snail's trail was slightly larger than 8 1/2" x 11"... Paper pieced all the way!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! That's amazing! Love the Snail's Tail pattern but have never seen it that small.

I haven't done any minis although I always mean to for the quilt guild auction. But I did a name tag for the guild meetings (which I never go to) that I paper pieced. The flower is 3"x3"; the whole tag is 4"x6".

{{!gwi}}

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Ooooo- now I want to try that. I saw Jen make hers and it's amazing but I think paperpiecing is the way to go. Many of Sally Collins are just pieced very small and are wonderful. She has HSTs that are 1/4". Don't know if I have the patience to do a complicated, pieced pattern.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

1/4" HSTs might just be considered INSANE!!!! But who knows...maybe I'll try it someday.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beverly, didn't you recently post a picture of a mini you made? I can't find it but I recall that it was concentric diamonds of white and... something really colorful like a Kaffe Fassett print.

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

No, I don't do minis. What does one use them for, simply artwork? I do make my own potholders, however, so that would be the equivalent for a mini, I guess. I can't imagine using anything other than paper piecing for such fine work.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I make minis for my guild (same as Kate's) every other year and for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative every year. Most of them are traditional piecing, though I occasionally PP them.

One of the AAQI ones this year was about 4" x 6" - it had pinwheels that finished at 1-1/2" and a couple of borders.

I've been doing a Civil War BOM that has a whole bunch of stitch & flip pieces in each block, and I've been doing a second stitching in the corners to make HSTs that finish at 1". I used a bunch of those for the AAQI quilts this year, and I think next year the guild will get a lot of minis with those too! :)

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

No minis for me, either. I like them well enough, and I admire the skill in making them. I just can't imagine having a use for them. I don't hang much on my walls, and I prefer all my tables bare.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Here is the one I did. It is also a one block made from pieces left over from Sharon's birthday block, so I sent it to her.

Kate, love your name tag, it is beautiful.

I have seen minis used as candle mats, coasters, hot pads, place cards, post cards, not to mention wall hangings, and table displays.

beverly

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Having computer problems, picture didn't post. Here it is.

beverly

• polardream
    12 years ago

The only minis I have made I give or use for potholders.
    Jennifer & Kate, yours are beautiful!
    Sue

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am not sure they count but I have made a few wall hangings with 4" mini quilt blocks as part of them. One is hanging on my computer cabinet door now and has a pineapple block, a snails trail, and 5 others but not sure the names of them. I also have a some that I am not sure what to do with at the moment. Maybe I will get them out and play.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I made an Advent Calendar with a mini block for each day but they weren't very complex. At this point, I'm not interested in making something so precise, although the blocks pictured are awesome. My mini birthday quilt from Beverly is really cute.

1/4" HST???? What does it take....about 2 stitches? lol

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

This is the wall hanging.

The pineapple block

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County