Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Getting a jump on the weekend :)

msmeow
9 years ago

Is anyone quilting this weekend? I am off today and plan to sew all day!

I was off yesterday afternoon and took the car to have it serviced. (How exciting is that?) I expected to sit in their waiting room for several hours and brought a project bag of things to do while I waited, but the owner very kindly offered to give me a ride home! My original plan for today was to clean the house, but since I ended up being home I did it yesterday.

Today I'm piecing the backing for my friend's comfort quilt. I should be able to get that done and get it on the frame today. I'm hoping I can finish it this weekend. I also cut binding for my birthday block quilt so it will be ready to go.

Donna

Comments (15)

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

It depends on how the wrist feels. I thought it was getting better but this morning I woke up with it bothering me quite a bit again. I got some quilting gloves and have used them but on days like this it's not helping that much. I still have a lot more to go with the FMQing on this, not sure if I'll ever start another large FMQ project, though. I guess I need to just put the brace on EVERY night before going to bed, I have a feeling that I am doing something to it while sleeping that aggravates it.

• polardream
    9 years ago

FINALLY got my sewing machine back yesterday after needing a new hook assembly. I had my quilt group here last night so we got a chance to give it a test drive and it is ready to go - woohoo!

I need to finish sewing 4 aprons and 2 vests for our Lions club (not quilted) then want to do the Sept. Lotto block and 3rd quarter special lotto. If I can get that finished, life will be good!

Sue

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Yup! Still trying to finish the ones I mentioned last week.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I think I have too many errands and other commitments this weekend. Not sure I'll find time to sew at all but I sure would like to!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I'll have the grands this weekend, and DH will be out of town, but I do intend to get the trail run quilt in the frame and at least get it started.

beverly

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Rita, I went through a period when my right hand was going numb all the time. My doctor suggested that I sleep in the wrist brace to keep me from compressing the nerves in my wrist while I slept. It worked like a charm. I was actually tucking my wrist into my armpit while I slept - like a chicken wing. I finally trained myself to stop doing that, and I don't have to wear the brace anymore. Maybe you will have the same success.

I'm hosting 14 grade school classmates for a boat ride and picnic dinner tonight. The problem is that we had a cold front come through yesterday and it's 50 degrees and cloudy. I don't think anyone will want to be out on the lake, so I guess it will be an indoor affair. The best laid plans...

I hope to spend a good chunk of this weekend on quilting projects. I'm about half way finished quilting the baby turtle quilt. I have also started piecing Big Red. I'm itching to begin a OBW that I've had the fabric for for years too. And a scrappy batik. I also have to start thinking about projects to take to Hawaii. Cutting there is a real problem (no room), so it's best if I cut the fabric here and piece there. That also makes for lighter luggage.

I hope everyone has a fine weekend.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, only 2 weeks till the Jax quilt show! LOL I really want to go but not sure if I can. My car needs new tires and we really can't afford them just yet.

Sue, I'm so glad you finally got your machine back! Something happened to my new BL last weekend. I think I didn't get the bobbin case in quite right and something got knocked out of alignment. Fortunately I have a backup, since a sewing machine repair isn't in the budget right now, either. And as DH pointed out, I also have a backup for the backup. :)

It's amazing how having to buy a new air conditioner and get a filling repaired can mess up your budget!

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

No quilting for me this weekend, lovely ride today to Poughkeepsie NY for the weekend, then to Philadelphia for a show..then to home...ahhh a few days relaxing.
    V.

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

I probably won't get much sewing done this weekend. We are going to the Columbus zoo tomorrow with all three grand babies and their parents. My DS won't be going, he is taking a Saturday class this semester. DDIL and the 2 grandsons are here for the weekend.
    I am still working on the red and white Hunter's Star. I haven't had much time to sew lately. I do have my sewing tables set up now and think I am going to love this arrangement. I will post pictures when I get the rest of the room organized.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, I drew BIL's name for Christmas and I think I may make a lap size Hunter star for him. It's been on my quilty to-do list for a long time. :)

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Working on the border for the black/white/grey from last week. Trying to do something different. I hope it works.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I worked on the border and I think it looks ok. I did not like the half squares on the edges of the top so tried to finish them off in the border. This also isn't what I wanted to use as border fabric but I did not have enough of my preferred one but there wll be enough for binding. Looks a bit ripply but will work that out.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Impressive. That must have taken a lot of figuring ;-)

I think it works very well. I'm guessing a darker binding or maybe a bright one?

LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Cool quilt, Theresa! I love the pops of colors on the subtle black-grey-white background.

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I really like that you finished the squares.

I'm working on DD's queen size quilt. This is a Lotto win I needed to make more blocks for - she needs queen size. I'm not sure I like some of the colors I picked to finish it, but I was trying to use what I had. I'm sure it will be lovely when complete, even if not quite what I pictures.

The fan quilt is on the back burner till I make a final decision to either FMQ or handquilt.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company