Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini/Travel Irons

Posted by murphy_zone7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 7:00

Good Morning! I made myself a tv tray portable ironing board and now need a good mini/travel iron to use with it. I had a mini-iron but didn't like it because it was hard to grip and did not get hot enough. I have the old version of the clover mini-iron (a stick like thing with two heads)...it doesn't get hot enough for me either! So, I am on the search for a new one and would love your recommendations.
I am about to start a quilt using the Friendship half square triangles and there is a LOT of pressing involved in those (my quilt uses over 700 of the things). It would be so nice to have an ironing surface right next to my machine with an iron hot enough to actually press!
Thanks in advance.
Murphy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini/Travel Irons

I use this 'sealing iron' by Hanger 9. I purchased mine from a local (huge) airplane model craft store.
Gwen (sunnycentralfl) recommended it to me a few years ago.
It gets very hot. I especially like the slated tip-perfect for pressing small pieces and paper piecing.
I have seen these same irons for 3x the money in Quilt shops.

I also bought a count down timer I plug it into that I am able to set to turn off in a certain amt of time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sealing Iron

o
RE:Countdown timer

Here is the timer.

It allows you to pick how long you want it to be on - 1 hour for example vs by time of day. I also use it with my cheap regular iron (not at the same time).

Here is a link that might be useful: Timer

o

A lot of my frineds have the Rowenta travel iron and love it. It is available at Sears here in Canada for about $40. I have the Procter Silex Travel Iron and it is a good iron too. The handle come off to store away in a little bag so very compact for travel. I have a Clover iron that I received as a gift probably 5 years ago and have never taken it out of the package. I am doing an applique workshop in a couple of weeks so perhaps I will take it with me.

o

I got a kick out of the timer mentioned, a good idea I think but when checking site
I noticed the price was $8 something and shipping was $9 something. I will check out the hardward.lol

o

I've had the Rowenta travel iron for a couple of years and love it! It seems to be a popular iron at retreats, too. I've seen them in quite a few stores but prices seem to vary considerably.

o

I have my second Rowenta travel iron. I had the first one for several years until it died last year. I like them because they are small and have steam. It can also be used as a dry iron.
I bought mine when it was on sale at Jo-Ann.
Linda OH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here