Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphy_zone7

Aprons again QOTD

murphy_zone7
12 years ago

Didn't want to hijack Chickie1's thread about those cute aprons she is making, but it made me think....do you wear an apron? Do you have an apron that you just love and wear only it? Seems like so many things, aprons are not used like they used to be. Remember grandma and her aprons....she always always had an apron on. I love aprons but like rosajoe in her response, I need to remember to put them on.

Murphy

Comments (19)

• gininmn
    12 years ago

I wear aprons when I'm hosting dinner at my house and I don't want to get my "company" clothes spotted while I'm cooking. I have two, a white one with open work embroidery on skirt and on bib and a pretty floral one, also a full not half. I'm as likely or more likely to drop something on my top as my bottom half. These posts remind me that I need to finish sewing my niece's apron and maybe make one for her fiance. They're getting married Oct. 8 out of town and have rented a large cabin for the family and will have a barbecue there after the rehearsal.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I need to wear one, but always forget. I need to put it somewhere where I can remember to use it more regularly. The one I have was a store bought one, so it's nothing special. Maybe that's the key????
    Robbi

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Don't wear one often enough! It means tops get washed really often. I do have a full one that I wear when I am Christmas baking. Why then? Tradition, I guess.
    Theresa

• day2day
    12 years ago

I seldom wear an apron. Exceptions are when I am canning veggies or bottling jam. Oh, and yes,on Christmas Day, I wear my Xmas apron to protect my 'good' clothes.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I am an apron wearer. I like a full chef's apron w/ bib - I cook alot, and always wear one. I have worn the same 2 aprons forever. They get thrown into the wash with the tea towels and washed in hot water. They are not pretty or special and actually don't fit very well :)

• chickie1
    12 years ago

Murphy - No problem posting a follow up to my post. It's nice to read what others are doing. I was so tickled to upload the pics.
    I have just recently started wearing aprons especially if I have a white shirt on. I always get something on my shirt. I like the bib apron the best. I made aprons last Christmas for my daughters. One is a hair dresser (stylist) and she wears her apron everyday.
    Darlene

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Another one here who doesn't wear an apron often enough! I have two hanging in the pantry too! I also have made a cute smock with sleeves that ties in the back. One I gave to my sister who paints (artist), another one I made as a gift for my hair stylist and a third one I have for sale to add to my Etsy shop whenever I can get pictures made.

Teresa

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I have a couple but only wear them over good clothes. I'm usually cooking in clothes that toss in the wash anyway so none needed. I like lots of pockets so often wear them to work on leaded glass or other hobbies where I carry lots of tools around with me. I wear a nail apron when building stuff.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I was given an apron kit to make for my Nov birthday and haven't made it yet. It is pink and green and I had planned to embroider something on it.
    I found a black Winn Dixie one at a thrift store and I did remeber to wear it when I was re potting plants. It hangs in the laundry room and I still forget about it. When I remembered during the summer was after the tomato stain did not wash out of a tee shirt!
    They are making a come back and are very pretty and practical. Love them when I remember them lol!!!!
    Rosa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

An apron is something you wear in the kitchen, right? LOL I don't cook unless I HAVE to, so don't even own an apron. I'd really like to have a chef...do they cost more than an apron? :)

Donna

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

I wear aprons all the time. I have them in a variety of styles and colors. I need the extra pockets which is why I wear them for cleaning the house, doing gardening chores or crafting. I've saved many a shirt form the rag bag by remembering to wear my apron.

• budster
    12 years ago

Aprons? I have a stack in the linen cupboard and wear them everyday when cooking. I have some from thrift stores and some belonged to my MIL (when sorting out her household no one else even wanted them so I took her few quite happily) and I also have some fabric waiting to be sewn into aprons. I loved the cupcake design fabric and bought myself half a metre of it and a cherry pie designed one which I will accent with some hot pink fabric found on sale. Count me in as an apron wearer and lover. Budster

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have a bib denim one that gets worn a couple times a year but ususal not my style but it probably should be.
    Made a cute one for my GD a couple of Christmasas ago and she wears it all the time. They are fun to make.

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I have several aprons but the one I use the most is a plain apron that I bought at Joann's and embroidered a dragon fly on it. I wanted to make something with my embroidery machine when I first bought it. I should make a new one!
    Linda OH

• polardream
    12 years ago

Donna, I LOVE your answer! I want a chef too!
    I do have an apron I bought in England years ago - it is actually a coated fabric - almost like a vinyl. It's great because stuff doesn't go through onto your clothes - of course you have to remember to put it on in order to make that part work! I forget to wear it and am always having to replace t-shirts/knit tops when I spatter them with grease because I have yet to figure out how to get those stains out. Maybe that should be my next project ...
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I don't cook/bake as much as I used to, nor do I wear good clothes very often. I have a special apron a special friend made for me so I keep it tucked in here in the couch where I sit and throw it over my shelf when eating sloppy stuff. That's the only time I wear an apron. @:)

SharonG/FL

• murphy_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys crack me up. Donna, we all would like to have a chef....then more time for quilting! Alas an apron is a very poor substitute for a chef.....sigh....
    Here is something I found online somewhere about aprons, wish I knew who wrote it to give credit. My grandma died when I was 12 over 50 years ago, and I still remember her apron.
    "Grandma�s Apron
    The principle use of grandma�s apron was to protect the dress underneath,
    but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the
    oven, drying children�s tears and, on occasion, was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks,
    and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

When the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables; after the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much
    furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, grandma walked out onto the porch and waved her
    apron - the men knew it was time to come in from the fields for dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron."

They served so many purposes.

REMEMBER: Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the windowsill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the windowsill to thaw. They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron."

Murphy who is going to make herself a new apron TODAY!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Love that, Murphy!

For those spots on our "front" get Simple Green! Dilute with equal portions of water and put in a spray bottle in the laundry room. Better than Shout, etc., cheaper, and biodegradable. You can use it all over the house for cleaning.

Ahem......I have had my own Personal Chef business and will travel for the right price! LOL!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I love a lot of vintage mid-century things, but I will never understand the infatuation with aprons. Put me down as a 'no'.

Kate