Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth7happy

QOTD - needles

beth7happy
9 years ago

This has probably been addressed before - plenty of times, but I'm wondering about changing the needles on the sewing machine. In days gone by, I'd actually break needles, but with this new(er) machine and perhaps wiser brain, that doesn't happen anymore, luckily. Yesterday as I was sewing along, I wondered how often one should change their sewing machine needle....????

Comments (9)

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I've read that you should change your needle with each new quilt project. However, I can't say that follow that suggestion....usually......if ever.....

Teresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

My machine is a tad fickle, so I put in a new needle anytime I start to FMQ. Now, I don't do a lot of FMQ, so it may not get changed for a quite some time!
    V.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I am still on the change it when it breaks schedule. LOL Unless I can tell it needs changing, like if it has a burr on it.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

SCHMETZ Needle company Loves me! I am a needle changer!
    I try to to use the correct type, size and point for the fabric or project.....and I change my needle after 8 hours of sewing .....or sooner, if I hear the dull sound or the stitch quality changes.

That means a needle change to sew on binding for instance. I will use the same binding needle for 4 quilts.

Needles are fragile, and it is easy to abrade the eye or get a nick in the shaft or dull the point. I look at needles as the cheapest tool I buy. I keep a post it note on my machine with the size of the needle -date- and jot down hours on that needle.
    (Sad when it is 5 mins.)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

8 hours?!? I'm definitely somewhere between 8 hours and 'when it breaks'; and a LOT closer to the 'when it breaks' side of the equation. But I am aware of the needle and if I start to notice a change in the look of the stitch, I'll change it for a 'fresh' one. If I'm free motion quilting with embroidery threat, I'll always change to a 90 with the bigger eye.

Good question, Beth!

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I also change the quilting needle after finishing a large project. I switch to a smaller needle to piece but I don't change that one as often. In all the years I've sewn I've never broken a needle. (Where's some wood to knock on?)

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I change the needle when I hear the "thunk-thunk" sound or when I realize it's been quite a while since I last changed it.

Rita, I can't imagine never having broken a needle!

Marsha, you are a very organized person. I'll bet Schmetz Company loves you. It always makes good sense to use the best and most appropriate tools. I just never think of it.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Good question...I gotta applaud Marsha, she's got the science and creative part down pat! I was proud of myself for marking an olfa rotary container new and used blades to keep myself straight. When my last FMQ adventure wasn't going well, I changed the needle. Things went well, but it was strictly
    Luck that it was a new needle. After that I thought I should start marking the needle holders as new and used as well.... I've thought about it, haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking on it!
    V.

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, I'm a needle changer! Mostly I change after one quilt top, but I'll change any time I hear the dull popping sound of the needle "punching" through the fabric.

Needles and rotary cutter blades are consumables. Neither of these items are meant to be used until they break. Dull needles leave overly large holes in the fabric, and can affect your stitch quality. Dull rotary cutter blades can really damage your cutting mat, especially if you have to press down hard to make the cut.