Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Batik question

Posted by nannykins (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 6:14

Littlehelen's batik quilt is beautiful.
My question is... Would you mix batiks and regular cotton in the same quilt?
I have an idea for next grandson's wedding quilt. I would like to use batiks (have already picked up a few pieces) but where the pattern suggests a solid light, I don't see anything like that in the stores or catalogues.
Theresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Batik question

Theresa, I do all the time, and it works out quite well!
Dan

o

I do it in my hand applique all the time, too!

Robbi

o

I've used it with other cottons, in fact I've never had enough of it at one time to do an entire batik quilt, but I would like to someday.

o

hmmm...I mixed batik with cotton one time and wasn't crazy about the effect, but I really think it has more to do w/ the mix...if the batik is more tame or the two fabrics are not competing, it looks great. Look at Nanajayne's island quilt...it's beautiful and has a mix of both. I say go for it!
V.

o

Thanks for the quick answers. Now I can go shopping!!
Theresa

o

I've mixed them too and think it looks fine, especially if you are mixing solids with the batiks! Give it a try!

o

I mix them all the time. I have a friend who has a longarm machine and says that mixing regular cotton and batiks adds challenges to quilting it but another friend, also a longarmer says it is not a problem. I use a good quality black or dark color most often with batiks....love the way the colors pop against the dark fabric!

o

I do it a lot. I think batiks add a nice texture to other fabrics. I choose my batiks to compliment my other fabrics and try to get them to blend, not compete.

o

Theresa, try this link to Blue Bamboo. I got a pale cream batik there.

I also think you can mix batiks with other fabric and have done so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bamboo

o

Thanks Lois, there are two there that might fill the bill.
Theresa

o

I do it all the time. This is one I made for son's girlfriend for Christmas last year. 2 batiks with a white on white print:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I don't have problem mixing them. I think it is more the texture, pattern and color that is important. Sometimes I feel they enhance each other.MHO

o

I do it a lot. I think batiks add a nice texture to other fabrics. I choose my batiks to compliment my other fabrics and try to get them to blend, not compete.

o

Mary C...that quilt is lovely...love the fmq design!
V.

o

Thanks, V., but you give me too much credit. I use pantograph patterns most of the time, because I have zero skills on my long-arm except for basic meandering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here