Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Batik question

nannykins
11 years ago

Littlehelen's batik quilt is beautiful.

My question is... Would you mix batiks and regular cotton in the same quilt?

I have an idea for next grandson's wedding quilt. I would like to use batiks (have already picked up a few pieces) but where the pattern suggests a solid light, I don't see anything like that in the stores or catalogues.

Theresa

Comments (15)

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Theresa, I do all the time, and it works out quite well!
    Dan

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I do it in my hand applique all the time, too!

Robbi

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I've used it with other cottons, in fact I've never had enough of it at one time to do an entire batik quilt, but I would like to someday.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

hmmm...I mixed batik with cotton one time and wasn't crazy about the effect, but I really think it has more to do w/ the mix...if the batik is more tame or the two fabrics are not competing, it looks great. Look at Nanajayne's island quilt...it's beautiful and has a mix of both. I say go for it!
    V.

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the quick answers. Now I can go shopping!!
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I've mixed them too and think it looks fine, especially if you are mixing solids with the batiks! Give it a try!

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I mix them all the time. I have a friend who has a longarm machine and says that mixing regular cotton and batiks adds challenges to quilting it but another friend, also a longarmer says it is not a problem. I use a good quality black or dark color most often with batiks....love the way the colors pop against the dark fabric!

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I do it a lot. I think batiks add a nice texture to other fabrics. I choose my batiks to compliment my other fabrics and try to get them to blend, not compete.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Theresa, try this link to Blue Bamboo. I got a pale cream batik there.

I also think you can mix batiks with other fabric and have done so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bamboo

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lois, there are two there that might fill the bill.
    Theresa

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I do it all the time. This is one I made for son's girlfriend for Christmas last year. 2 batiks with a white on white print:

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I don't have problem mixing them. I think it is more the texture, pattern and color that is important. Sometimes I feel they enhance each other.MHO

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I do it a lot. I think batiks add a nice texture to other fabrics. I choose my batiks to compliment my other fabrics and try to get them to blend, not compete.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Mary C...that quilt is lovely...love the fmq design!
    V.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, V., but you give me too much credit. I use pantograph patterns most of the time, because I have zero skills on my long-arm except for basic meandering.