Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_beginning_cms

need your advice/suggestions

new-beginning
10 years ago

I am not a quilter like you folks although I do from time to time make a quilt for the little ones in the family - not anything pieced like ya'll do though. I did have an issue with the power cord connection to the machine which would have cost $350.00 to replace the powerunit; my electrical engineer friend 'fixed it' so it runs again, at least for the moment.

Anyhow, I am in the market for a new machine (currently have a Viking Scandinavia so all the feet I already have would work on another Viking). My machine is 8 yrs old, out of warranty and although not obsolete but is out of production by Viking, new machines have so many more bells and whistles.

I have an extra $800.00 I could spend on a machine (I have been sewing for 60+ years); my grand-daughter is wanting me to make her wedding dress (no date set as of yet). I have a 3+ yr old great-grand-daughter living next door to me and school clothes are on the horizon.

If any of you would like to make suggestions I would appreciate it - I have looked at the Viking Opal and several Pfaff models; also wonder about the Juki.

thanks, Carolyn

Comments (5)

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

The Pfaff and Viking are two good makes to consider - I'm not that familiar with Juki, but I'm partial to Viking since I've had two. Do you have the even feed foot made by Viking, also called the walking foot? Those are probably in the $100 range now, so if you have one, it should fit a new Viking, thus saving you that purchase. Quilting is so much easier with a walking foot. And if you want to learn to piece, a 1/4-inch piecing foot is such a help, and not as pricey as the walking foot.

Both Opal model 670 and 650 were rated a Consumer Digest Best Buy. You might want to study the differences between the two before you make your decision. The 670 doesn't mention the ability to stop/start without foot control, but the 650 does:
    "Sew without foot control for easy, consistent speed with the start/stop function." Usually the higher model number means a machine with more functions and higher price. I would question this when looking at these Vikings. The difference in number of decorative stitches is 200 for the 670 and 180 for the 650 - not a big deal in my opinion.

Have you checked the stores in your area for refurbished second hand machines? Many sewists are in the habit of trading up and you might be able to find a good machine for less. Ask about a warranty on any tuned up second hand machine.

Hope this helps,
    Teresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Thanks for coming to the forum! We have new quilters here as well as those with more experience. I found this group in 2007 and can't even begin to tell you all I've learned from them!

I don't sew with a Viking, but they are good machines and I don't think you could go wrong with that choice. Having feet that fit would be a big advantage. We have a few committed Pfaff users too and they love their machines, so that's another good choice.

I have an ancient Elna that I love (even after I dropped it out the back of my SUV) and a new Juki Ti2010 that I bought primarily for quilting but now use for everything. They are both wonderful and I wouldn't give either of them up.

If you are going to be making clothes (wow! a wedding dress! brave woman!) then you might be interested in a good variety of decorative stitches. Most higher end machines come with several, but you'll probably choose only 2 or 3 that you use frequently and never touch the others.

Let us know what you decide!
    Kate

• lola99
    10 years ago

I have a Juki that I love. It is a powerful workhorse of a machine, but it has no decorative stitches, no zigzag, and doesn't even have a backstitch option. With that said, I've had it for 11 or 12 years and have never taken it in to the shop. Nothing has EVER gone wrong with it. (I do clean it out and oil it on a regular basis.)

• new-beginning
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kate, I made my sister's wedding dress many years ago (princess style) with a detachable train. Also made many 'prom' dresses for myself and the senior prom dress for the grand-daughter (which is when I bought the Viking I currently own).

I have two extra feet for the Viking STILL IN THE PACKAGE (edging foot and open toe stippling foot), that my dealer would take back in return for purchasing feet for the Pfaff, but the dealer was really encouraging me to get another Viking.

Iola - A different dealer handles the Juki, and it is about the same price as the Viking Opal line, that particular Juki is a multi-purpose machine; trying to make a wise decision as I have no idea when or if I'll ever have any extra money to spend on another machine. I do have the Viking serger also.

I am retired and also widowed so my days of having mad money are pretty much over.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I am a Pfaff owner -- my absolute favorite machine is over 40 years old. I also own newer mechanical & electronic Pfaff's, including a brand new Pfaff Performance 5.0 that I haven't sewn with yet. As a garment sewer, I've made many wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses, formal wear, etc. thru the years.
    My advice to you is - what you need in a sewing machine for sewing clothing - especially formal wear, is completely different than what you need for piecing & quilting. Look for a machine that fits those needs. Make sure it has a single needle plate, can easily go from sheer fabrics to heavier satins, and brocades. Most Pfaff sewing machines have built in IDT - a tried and true even feed that feeds top and bottom fabrics the same. This is very important in clothing construction.

If you are keeping your existing Viking, why not keep those feet? Your dealer is being very nice to exchange those feet for different ones. I would also make sure your existing feet actually fit the new Viking you are considering.

Consider the features you would use the most. If you are not a quilter, you do not need the extra features we love for piecing and quilting. I think any good machine with a straight stitch is good for piecing, but Not so good for the requirements of finer sewing of a wedding dress or clothing construction. Test the ease and look of the button holes, and belt loops, or narrow hems, etc. Sew over the thickness of a jeans hem or topstitch on a wool lapel.
    Have fun, but take your time in your selection.
    It is also good practice to unplug your machine when you are finished sewing-or plug it into a surge protector that you can turn off.