Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pigma Pen question

Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 23:21

I have used Pigma Pens to make labels for most of my quilts and never had any trouble. But tonight I did a test on the muslin I am using for the Pine Tree quilts. I pressed it as always, but on a hunch I wet it just to see if it would bleed, and it did. Could it be the muslin (was prewashed, but did have BestPressed on it), an old pen, or not let set long enough? I don't want to put a lot of work into the labels only to have them bleed when washed.

beverly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pigma Pen question

Forgot to say I usually use a black pen, but the test was done with blue. Could that make a difference?

beverly

o

I think the Best Press prevented the ink from absorbing into the muslin fibers. In other words, the ink was sitting on the layer of starch. Test without the Best Press.

o

Did a test, and it bled as I was writing on the fabric. May just have to do it all in black.

beverly

o

If I had that problem, I'd contact the Pigma Pen company and tell them about your problems. They need to know that their products aren't as advertised and should send you some replacement pens. Or at least, they should work on those colored pens to make sure they are permanent as they say.

I realize that doing this and getting feedback might take longer than you have right now. Good luck on your quilt label. BTW, your tree quilt is beautiful and I love Sylacausa Bill!

o

Beverly,
I have always used Pigma pens too and I have never had a problem.

I have a set that is getting pretty old - I'll do a test this afternoon and see if any of the colors bleed.
Rosa

o

Thanks, Rosa. My colors are at least 6 years old. The black are new. I'm thinking that may be part of the problem.

beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here