Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Singer Golden Touch and Sew

Posted by shatzi03 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 22:47

I have a Singer Golden Touch and Sew model 758 which was purchased in 1969 (the last T&S before the free arm model came out) . . the machine, being well maintained, has been extremely reliable for the last 41 years . . now, I want to use this machine for quilting and would like to know if there is an attachment that can be purchased to enable me to do this . . I also have a Singer Featherweight but I don't believe I can use the FW for quilting . . . any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated . .thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Singer Golden Touch and Sew

If the T&S has the ability to drop the feed dogs and do machine "mending" then you will be able to free motion quilt. Check your manual.

I was able to attach an even feed foot (also called a walking foot) to my 1969 Singer Fashion Mate machine and do straight line quilting with that machine for many years before I purchased my Viking. It could be that any older walking foot attachment for Singer models would work on your machine. This foot may be more expensive than simple feet because it has moving parts.

Teresa

o
Slant foot or straight

As I am not familiar with the foot for the T&S, you need to know if it is a slant foot or straight when looking for a walking/even feed foot to go on your machine.

There are some quilters who quilt with their FW, but it is not generally recommended.

Teresa

o

I have walking foot for my T&S (yours is the fancy one compared to mine) and have done some straight line quilting with it no problem. You should take one of your extra feet with you when you shop for a foot just to make sure you purchase one that will fit your machine. Mine is a long slant shank model. Budster

o

I also have a Touch'N Sew Singer 758 and love this machine. I would not change any of the new ones for this Singer. Now, also, I would like to machine quilt with it. I misplaced my instructions book and cannot remember the procedure to machine quilt with my T&S. I did it before but my mind is not into it I guess... I remember I have to put the no-dog plate and there is the embroider attachment to put on. Then, I have to put the foot pressure to Darn or do I?? Yet, it doesn't work at all. Could it be a thread problem? there is not even a good stitch after stitching a little bit. What am I doing wrong?

o

I have the answer to my problem: the needle size was too big. Changed it and also put the pressure foot at Normal and now, everything works fine. Never give up, that is my motto!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here